D-Day query

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

decaro

D-Day query

Post by decaro »

In the invasion of Normandy, I recall reading that many soldiers became seasick from overdosing on a new drug called Dramamine, a motion sickness remedy, but recently a documentary claimed it was because the USN decided to serve the troops a very large and greasy breakfast that fateful morning.

Does anyone know which it was, or was it a combination of both?

And yes, I realize the seas were heavy, even during a lull in the June storm.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Hanal

RE: D-Day query

Post by Hanal »

I have also read that many became sick because their uniforms were sprayed with some type of chemical. Apparantly there were rumours that the Germans may use gas and this chemical was to prevent it from leeching into the cloth.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Oh yes, there are also rumours that Jimmy Hoffa was behind it... and just when he was going to publish his book about the conspiracy, the poor bastard disappeared into thin air!

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Jimmy Hoffa was behind the D-Day Invasion? Who would have thunk it......
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

Jimmy Hoffa was a hero of the Cival War ............he saved the Union[&o]
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

When I was in Army ROTC at William and Mary in 1988 we once had an FTX where we loaded up on Larks at Fort Eustis and sailed down the James river across the bay to assault Fort Story. Before we left we had a huge breakfast...

I was a Cadet Captain and was near the boat drivers as the journey began. The Navy enlisted guys were laughing and said the cadets were looking rough while chugging along the river from the waves and predicted that once we hit the bay we would have a seasick issue on our hands.

They were right. Once we rounded the Newport News shipyard and headed into the deep water the waves were tossing us around like toys as it was quite windy that day. The cadets were nestled in tight back to back in the middle and 2 rows along the sides of the landing craft. All it took was one to get sick and as the smell drifted through the boat one after another lost his contents. Uniforms, boots and M-16s were soon spattered with the remnants of breakfast.

I was lucky to be standing and took care of business in a garbage can but my cadets were indeed a mess.

Recently I was at Omaha beach and my thoughts drifted back to my days in ROTC and I imagined how hard it must have been for those guys doing it for real.

Here is a shot looking up from the beach. The place was full of vacationers and swimmers. Unlike battlefields in America its not really treated as sacred ground.

Sorry its so damn big!

Attachments
Londonan..2010245.jpg
Londonan..2010245.jpg (574.89 KiB) Viewed 207 times
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

To be honest, if I was scheduled to go ashore in one of those landing boats under fire, I'd feel pretty queasy anyway (regardless of stormy weather and greasy breakfasts).

Like mosts things - the truth of the matter is probably a combination of all four factors - seasickness, greasy food, dramamine and anxiety.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

All three are correct.

The sea swell at Omaha was right on the limit of what was acceptable for an invasion at all. So the boats rocked a lot more than usual.
The USN did cook up a good breakfast for the infantry. They were treating them as well as they could, knowing they had a tough task.
There was also a fair amount of drinking.
There was also the anti gas impregnation.

http://tinyurl.com/cywyrda
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

Jimmy Hoffa was a hero of the Cival War ............he saved the Union

ROFLMAO, what a teamster!!
King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

Return to “General Discussion”