GS or equivelant

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

sPzAbt653

GS or equivelant

Post by sPzAbt653 »

'General Staff' or an equivelant brain - can you help with this replacement pickle ?

The situation is Europe 1940, and I attack Spain, and Yugoslavia, and Greece, and Crete, and Malta. Many infantry divisions on map that use the Heavy Rifle Squads, but none get any replacements, even with a lot available (as seen in the screen shot). Up over 100 turns and none of these units ever get HRS replacements (unless I disband a unit, at which point it returns several turns later filled up).

I've read General Staff's nice article on replacements a couple times but not sure my brain gets it. I tried putting 60,000 HRS in the 'on hand' at start but that didn't work. Maybe its because there are too many full strength units and that makes the percentages across the board too low to receive any replacements?

Attachments
edit262.jpg
edit262.jpg (52.76 KiB) Viewed 128 times
Hoffmann

RE: GS or equivelant

Post by Hoffmann »

Hi Sturmpanzer Abt,

Do you have this problem only with the HRS? or with all equipment? ie i see in ur table some irregular squad, are this equipement replaced?

Bye

D. Hoffmann
Let pfeifen auch unten und oben!
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I wasn't paying attention to other stuff, so I went back and looked at a turn 49 file and a turn 149 file to compare, and it does seem that other equipment is being replaced. For example, the Light Rifle Squads which are used by Italian units have expected numbers when looking at the number lost and the rate per turn and on hand.

But for the HRS's which are used by German units, it was turn 172 before any units received replacements. Some units were down to less than 20 rifle squads with an assigned of 300. And nothing weird going on, the units are in supply, not moving, not embarked. Yet for 172 turns they get no replacements. Then it was turn 188 before the next replacements arrived in units, and all the while about 37,000 in the on hand.

Now from turn 188 thru 200 it seems that units are receiving HRS replacements each turn. [X(]
Hoffmann

Post by Hoffmann »

Ah ok, it look like an event or a bad parameter prevented the distribution, maybe related to distance between supply sources? But if suddenly they all get their replacement, it's like an event was activated.
I noticed that in many scenario, there is a lot of parasitic event, i mean they should not have been there. IE in the Nordwind 1945 that I currently correct, there is many event regarding tropical weather, soviet supply, etc... It's like the designer copy/paste some part. Maybe he/she did the same for the scenario u use and there is some "bug" due to this?
Bye
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Good guesses, but individual replacements are not affected by events, nor by distance from supply source. It would be neat if they could be.

I think I'll try reducing the number of units on the map to see if that makes any difference.
ogar

Post by ogar »

Steve,

It's just the HRS - correct ? And only the German infantry units are affected ?

Do any other units use HRS ? and if so, are they affected ?

I'm not familiar with the editor, so patience please. It does read like the replacements only hit HRS when losses are large. Is there a setting for when a unit receives replacements ? and if so, I wonder if the logic for the setting is reversed.

Example : Apply replacements when strength < 80%
is actually entered as
Apply replacements when losses < 80%
(or strength < 20%, or ...)

I'm guessing but hope this helps. (And if you think that idea of a reversed piece of logic in a chunk of code has something to do with what I sweated over at work for the last week -- why that would be correct.)

Hoffmann

Post by Hoffmann »

Dear Jagti :-)
Yes, you're right but i was meaning a side-effect, something like a bug.
Oh, I just got another idea, also if ur scenario begin at 1939, but it's longer enough to include 1940 and after years, maybe your problem of replacement is simply due to the unavailability of HRS in 1939 (I think the availability date is 1940).
So the designer were able to put in the unit these HRS but the replacement of this equipment can only begin after 1940.
That's why it would suddenly begin massively at turn 172. What the game date at turn 172?
Bye

D. Hoffmann
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

... maybe your problem of replacement is simply due to the unavailability of HRS in 1939 ...

No, they are available at start. This is a scenario that I put together, so there is no event or parameter that causes the issue, I'm feeling that it has something to do with the replacement system that I don't properly understand.
Panama

Post by Panama »

http://www.gr-8.biz/toaw/rr/replacement ... ution.html

Perhaps this will add to the confusion. [:D]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Yeah, as I said in post #1 I had read it, but I was hoping maybe the author would be able to shed some more light, or clarification. It's been a while since I tinkered with that scenario, so I don't know where it currently stands.
Panama

Post by Panama »

Maybe you've already done this but if you have not then I would follow GS step by step at the top of his article.

Pro rata is an adverb or adjective, meaning in proportion.

1. authorized - assigned = need. Need also includes units that never recieve replacements. This is for all units combined.

2. replacement pool/need = pro rata percentage rounded down to whole percentage.

3. replacement request per unit in #1 is multiplied by percentage in #2 which = adjusted individual unit pro-rata replacement request based on availability.

4. each unit's pro rata need from #3 is multiplied by it's replacement priority. this is where it is decided how many squads a unit gets and is recalculated each turn + or - 10 to 15%. Fractions are discarded.

Perhaps the number of divisions and thier need is so great that all that is generated is a fraction of a replacement. All you might get are reconstitued units.

Check his Remedies at the bottom of his article.

rate priorities as a percentage from none to highest are none 0%, very low 20%, low 40%, normal 60%, high 80%, very high 100%.

I'm don't have the patience he had in coming up with this. I'm just a TOAW fan who admires the hard work and dedication of the very crazy fans that have already done all the hard work. The above is subject to human error.That would be me, not GS. [;)]

Return to “Scenario Design”