JEcon 101 setup pre-final Doc

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

USSAmerica

RE: Japan Econ 101 setup Draft Doc

Post by USSAmerica »

Graymane, the railroad reference and your location cause my spider sense to tell me there is (or was) a very large yellow employer involved in your career.  [;)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Graymane
ORIGINAL: fcharton

ORIGINAL: n01487477
The table above shows you the pertinent efficiency info Fuel/Mile and cargo(F/M). Higher numbers are better for Cargo(F/M) and lower is better for fuel/mile.

I believe Cargo (M/F) is the right measure, here.

re speed, I think the general idea is that if you double cruise speed, you divide by two the number of convoys at sea at any given time, and therefore fuel usage (convoys loading and unloading are docked, and use no fuel). So perhaps the correct "unit of efficiency" for shipping lane fuel usage (under constraint of port load rates) would be something like

Cargo size x Speed x Endurance / Bunker capacity

under constraints (one day loading/unloading time)
ship tonnage < min ship port rate
nr of ships in convoy < min dock size / ship tonnage
nr of ships in convoy < min total port rate / ship tonnage

(interestingly, the unit here is something like squared miles per hour which corresponds to viscosity in fluid mechanics, not sure how to interpret this...)

Francois

Actually, this is very close to what the railroad industry uses to measure the efficiency of a train. I think it is also the right measure that we are after. Very good job Francois [:)] Let's make an example so it hits home for people like me!

Code: Select all

Speed     Fuel Cap     End        Cargo
 Ship 1             08          500          2000        100
 Ship 2             16          500          2000        100

So, whatever measure we use, Ship 2 should generally be twice as good as Ship 1.

Here are some questions we want to answer:
  • How much cargo can we move per day? Speed * Cargo
  • How far can we move this cargo without refueling? End * Speed * Cargo
  • How efficient is that movement? End * Speed * Cargo / Fuel

Speed     Fuel Cap     End        Cargo      Daily Cargo      Cargo         Efficiency
                                                                  Distance        Distance

Ship 1             08          500          2000        100           800          1600000          3200
 Ship 2             16          500          2000        100          1600          3200000          6400

So in this case, the efficiency measure shows Ship 1 is twice as good as Ship 2. Doubling/Halving any of the other parameters should essentially show the same thing. i.e., if Ship 2 has End of 1000, it will have an eff of 3200, same as Ship 1. Double Ship 1's cargo will make up for the speed, etc.

It is important to note that this only makes sense under the constraints. In other words, if you don't move the full endurance, the effiency is not accurate, you'd have to substitute the actual Endurance of the trip if shorter.
OK - I can put this in the document and Tracker pretty easily. I just want to clarify the last point. So the Endurance I'd be substituting is the Range from point A to B right ?

Thanks for the help BTW ...
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Damian, I think if you are writing about the ships, you should use their max endurance, but if you are writing about planning a convoy between point A and point B, then that distance would be the endurance used.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: USS America

Damian, I think if you are writing about the ships, you should use their max endurance, but if you are writing about planning a convoy between point A and point B, then that distance would be the endurance used.
I think your right, and I can do both with Tracker. But I am wondering if I should define speed as hexes_per_day or average(max + mission,0). And in which case also define Endurance as MaxHexes.

Thanks
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Using Graymane's formula ...

cargomiles = (((float)theMaxSpeed + (float)theCruiseSpeed)/2) * ((float)GetCargoCapacity()+(float)GetLiquidCapacity())
     				* (float)theEndurance / (float)theFuel;

Attachments
CS_1.jpg
CS_1.jpg (480.33 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

Graymane, the railroad reference and your location cause my spider sense to tell me there is (or was) a very large yellow employer involved in your career.  [;)]

Shh.... [:)]
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

+1, eagerly awaiting v1.9! [&o][&o]
Graymane

Post by Graymane »

I think your right, and I can do both with Tracker. But I am wondering if I should define speed as hexes_per_day or average(max + mission,0). And in which case also define Endurance as MaxHexes.

Thanks

Hmm..interesting. Do people run convoys at anything other than cruise speed?

Hexes probably makes more sense.

Also, I'm sure the manual says something about max speed using more endurance per turn and I don't see that you factor that in. I don't have access to it right now to verify.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Thanks

Hexes probably makes more sense.

Also, I'm sure the manual says something about max speed using more endurance per turn and I don't see that you factor that in. I don't have access to it right now to verify.
Yes - but my calculations are based on Mission speed for hex movement and endurance levels. I said earlier that range for max speed is range_hex = (int)Math.floor(GetEndurance()/(40*4));

But this doesn't equate to Mission Speed setting. So I'd rather just look at it this way.

If I use HexSpeed,
then should it be like this ?

cargoeff = hexes(day) * cargo * range(hex) / fuel(hexes(day))
rader

Post by rader »

This looks like a really informative summary, nice [:)]
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Mission speed for me.
Created by the amazing Dixie
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Mission speed for me.
Isn't it the same ? Uses the same Endurance, fuel and you get the same movement ... I thought I had that right [&:]
Knyvet

Post by Knyvet »

Damian,

I think mission speed reduces wear and tear (e.g. SYS damage).
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Made some more changes and added some information. Found some errors in Tracker too - which is another good reason to be doing this ...

To finalize now;
-Airproduction
-Check list

So I guess in a few more days this will be ready for draft 2.
[edit] edited versions are avail from the links on post 1.
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

Also done some testing on this and found small differences but not enough to cause a rewrite so far. Some info on the WITP-AE screens does seem wrong however. Take Yusen N Cargo - 7 hex/day according to game but in testing 90% of the time it travels 8.
That is because distance travelled is not int, leave it at float. If TF is making 7.9 hexes per day, we will see 8 travelled in most days.

Also, I think there should be TWO separate values for cargo efficiency:
1) liquid, because you can load fuel into cargo space, so sum of liquid, and modified cargo (how much reduction it is? 50%?). Maybe even add ships fuel load, because it can be pumped out to other ships.
2) pure cargo

I do not think possible distance is needed to anyone. What people are most interested is how much fuel the ship will use per ONE hex, with comparison with its full load. But speed can be added to calculation, so something like this:

cargoHex = (float)GetCargoCapacity()/(float)GetShipFuelPerHex()*theCruiseSpeed;
bigred

Post by bigred »

ORIGINAL: rader

This looks like a really informative summary, nice [:)]
+1
---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
tm.asp?m=2597400
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: medicff

Thanks Damian,

I have starting learning the Japanese side and production and this helps a lot.

I have tried to change the research of planes to existing production models (for example the nicks at Kobe into the Ki431c) but the new beta doesn't give current production planes as a choice to convert to. How do you do this or has this changed in the betas?

Thanks

Pat
You need to change the R&D mode fromn realistic to Off. Under realistic R&D you have facilities just devoted to R&D and these can't be converted to production factories. With this option OFF you can do as you please.

IIRC Realistic R&D factories once they become production factories (the model they're researching becomes available) they can then be used as production, but can not convert back to another R&D model ... It's been a while since I played with this switch so I'd llike to double check this last point under the beta.

Damian -

Your remarks pertaining to the realistic / non realistic R&D settings has clarified my understanding of the concept.

Thank You, Sir!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Didn't get anything else done this week as my laptop died.

Will try to get something finalised in the coming week - now that I have mooched a computer of a mate. (Don't want to buy one in SthKorea for various reasons.)
paulk205

Post by paulk205 »

I'll probably sound like a typical greedy newbie, but what the hell, I need to ask...

This is a wonderful document for someone like me who has been nibbling around the edges of this monster game and many thanks for your hard work in compiling it. So far I have only played as the Allies vs the AI but I'd love to give Japan a crack, mostly for the counterfactual fun (attack Manilla instead of PH etc). But the economy completely daunts me and I really haven't got the time for learning through trial and error. I've tried to use this document as a starting "recipe" but I'm still making too many mistakes. Experienced players like you here already have the sensitivities of the system in your blood, but for a newbie it's still a recipe - too many parameters are in play. Soooooo...

Would a Turn 1 save (Scenario 1, vs AI, non-historical first turn) with all the initial economic work done, but without any military moves performed, ever be made available by one of the kind souls in the forum? I can't think of a better way to learn than by comparing the initial set up with something like what is is described in this document.

OK, let me now wear my tin hat. Ready. Flame away... [:D]
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: paulk205

I'll probably sound like a typical greedy newbie, but what the hell, I need to ask...

This is a wonderful document for someone like me who has been nibbling around the edges of this monster game and many thanks for your hard work in compiling it. So far I have only played as the Allies vs the AI but I'd love to give Japan a crack, mostly for the counterfactual fun (attack Manilla instead of PH etc). But the economy completely daunts me and I really haven't got the time for learning through trial and error. I've tried to use this document as a starting "recipe" but I'm still making too many mistakes. Experienced players like you here already have the sensitivities of the system in your blood, but for a newbie it's still a recipe - too many parameters are in play. Soooooo...

Would a Turn 1 save (Scenario 1, vs AI, non-historical first turn) with all the initial economic work done, but without any military moves performed, ever be made available by one of the kind souls in the forum? I can't think of a better way to learn than by comparing the initial set up with something like what is is described in this document.

OK, let me now wear my tin hat. Ready. Flame away... [:D]
No flame - it is my intention to do just that... I'm just putting the final touches on it and then I'll post it. The changes are just economic NOT tactical.

Return to “The War Room”