Steam Hacked

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Simulation01

Steam Hacked

Post by Simulation01 »

You may know this already, but I thought it best to spread this news quickly even if it's been mentioned. Steam was hacked on Nov 6th according to this article from PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/243596/steam_gets_hacked_heres_how_to_keep_safe.html#tk.hp_new

It was suggested that you change your steam passwords, sign up for steam guard, and monitor your bank accounts.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Shark7

RE: Steam Hacked

Post by Shark7 »

Or be happy you don't have a steam account.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Data

Post by Data »

second that...strongly [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Or don't worry too much, and keep the usual eye on credit cards used for internet transactions.
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

I've got a lot of games through Steam, and other digital distribution. This is disturbing news.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I have quite a few games on Steam. And they have stored my credit card info. Somehow I am not very disturbed. But I will keep half an eye on credit cards bills as usual.
MaxyGamer

Post by MaxyGamer »

Sometimes... just sometimes... remaining old fashioned pays off just nicely.
Nedrear

Post by Nedrear »

I play games I am forced to instll steam and account for it. But I never PAY there. My bank account only knows two sites and both are related to buisness, not game addons.
One Thread To Guide Them All

"Nothing incorporeal wields such power as a word. Though it is the weapon of the smart and cunning it alas needs the same to prevail."
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

My bank account? The card on that one is never used on the internet, just on our normal national store terminals. In an emergency it is a VISA card that can be used in foreign stores, though. For everything else, I use a credit card. And if that one is abused, it won't run my account dry.

Always use a proper credit card on the internet. You are not responsible for abuse from a situation like this, but it can of course be very inconvenient if there is a tap into your bank account and that one runs empty. The best if you manually have to approve every payment of the card, so you are sure you pay attention and notice abusive transactions.

Of course. For this to be recommended you must be able to have a credit card that you just use for this purpose. And it should be free to use if payed on time.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”