Spamming

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

british exil

Spamming

Post by british exil »

I am an active member in the forums, but tend to stick more with the forums where I "play" most of my games or follow AAR's. At the moment I'm having fun playing a ATG PBEM, waiting for the turns I remembered the General Discussion forum and have spent a few days here.
Only to see more often new posts are spammers, in the game forums I see very little of these pests.
Why do I get the feeling that there are more in the General Discussion?
And is there a way to put and end to these postings?

I gather quite a few are put off when they see a new posting on a thread they are following only to see a **%@?? posting.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
planner 3

RE: Spamming

Post by planner 3 »

MATRIX can program games but alas can't get/make a decent SPAM(MER) filter.....?????
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Planner 3,

Your signature from Pogo is applicable here. I think these spammers are often actual humans, rather than bots. They create new member profiles and then post messages that are somewhat generic, but not identical, usually about how they enjoy the forums. It seems their spam is in the signature links, which are allowed here.

I think this might be tough to prevent, but once alerted to the spam Matrix can delete the posts, and the account. This will require care however, as valid messages could be zapped.

Chuck
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

Then it's time to eliminate signatures as they are nothing more than ego boosts anyway....
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

@Planner 3,

I think these spammers are often actual humans, rather than bots.

I think that is true.

Perhaps we need more moderators to deal with them?

Does the 'Report' link at the bottom of posts work?
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
planner 3

Post by planner 3 »

Whenever I click on 'Report', up jumps a reporting box and they seem to jump right on it at Matrix. Try it you'll like it, the spammers don'r like it.

In reference to the POGO line....it was done during the Depression years or just after and it seemed relevant to todays Washington actions. Pogo was the 'Doomsday' cartoon of the time.
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: planner 3

MATRIX can program games but alas can't get/make a decent SPAM(MER) filter.....?????

Matrix doesn't actually program these gems..They sell them to us
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon
Then it's time to eliminate signatures as they are nothing more than ego boosts anyway....
Some are educational public service announcements. *grin*
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

Return to “General Discussion”