Russia '41 for ATG

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Whydmer

Russia '41 for ATG

Post by Whydmer »

I noticed in an old AAR for Russia '41 (from early AT) that TWeber states
If you do not get at least 1000 rifle kills in your first turn, you will be in trouble soon
, and I think it is also mentioned in the George vs Seille AAR.

In the revised scenario description for ATG, it is stated that some tweaks had to be made as ATG now favors the defender a bit more. So my question is, is the 1000 rifle kill goal on turn one still applicable for Germany? I am certainly having some trouble achieving that. And Germany seems to be suffering as a result...

That means that while I am waiting for an answer, I guess I will have to go practice. :)
seille

RE: Russia '41 for ATG

Post by seille »

Killing doesn´t mean you have to destroy all these troops instantly. On turn one i think it is VERY important to cut off as many troops as possible,
capture the roads and bridges he could use for retreats. Try to bomb the important units you can´t cut off like tanks and artillery.
In turn 2 and 3 you can then clear the pockets. If you´re fast and well coordinated you should be able to destroy 60-80% of the initial frontline within the first 5 or 6 turns (especially in the north and center).
If you allow too many troops to retreat you´ll face deadly counterattacks during winter.
I must admit i did not play that scenario for a while and do not know if there were serious changes made since beta stage (probably yes).
seille

Post by seille »

Ah, i forgot. Speed is your only chance to win here.
Whydmer

Post by Whydmer »

I just let the AI play the first turn as Germany, just to see what it would do. While it certainly killed more rifle units in turn 1 than I did (1150 or so) there was no attempt at encirclement and I was able to pull out the bulk of my remaining forces including some good armor and almost my entire airforce. So yeah first turn kills need to be midigated by the need to entrap units later.

In my main game (where I am playing both sides just to get a feel for things) I am definitely behind the historical timetable and behind what I remember being able to achieve in older games, such as Grigsby's Second Front and War in Russia, and even Avalon Hill's The Russian Campaign.

edited to say Thank You to seille for his prompt response. :)

edit x2: In my next try:
Rifle Kills: 927
Fighter Kills: 43
Dive Bomber Kills: 43
Light Tank Kills: 23
Artillery Kills: 35
Infantry and AT guns Kills (combined): 55
Mortar Kills: 71
Plus sundry Horses, Trucks and Flak.
In addition 6 full Russian Armies pocketed completely and another 6+ with only a one hex not RR track escape route that their low readiness should prevent them from taking advantage of.

A significant improvement over my first 2 attempts.
Jay Doubleyou

Post by Jay Doubleyou »

In ATG Russia 41 is harder for Germany, since ATG favors the defender over the attacker. So it is not so easy anymore to attack 1 Russian unit with 1 German unit. The first attack in the frontline it's no problem, but 2nd or 3rd attack can be difficult against a 'fresh' Russian unit. Reason is that the defender fires the first 2 rounds, attacking infantry doesnt. Movement has been limited as well, so German speed is slower.
To compensate turns are now 3 weeks instead of 4 so you have more turns to achieve your goal.

This scenario is still one of the greatest to play with equally skilled players!

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”