A question about another game, dont know if apporpriate.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Larsenex

A question about another game, dont know if apporpriate.

Post by Larsenex »

Since I have the cash (held off on preorder) and will still purchase the DW expac (when it arrives), I wanted to get another 4x game.

I am looking at Armada 2656 and its expansion. Does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about this game? Is it worth its purchase?

Is it somewhat easy to learn and play?

Did you like it? Would you replay it?

Thanks much!
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
lordxorn

RE: A question about another game, dont know if apporpriate.

Post by lordxorn »

I personally didn't like the way they handled tactical combat, and the lack of ship customization. However, it is a solid expansion to a solid 4x game. I just never really enjoyed that much, and has had little time on my HDD.
cookie monster

Post by cookie monster »

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

Since I have the cash (held off on preorder) and will still purchase the DW expac (when it arrives), I wanted to get another 4x game.

I am looking at Armada 2656 and its expansion. Does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about this game? Is it worth its purchase?

Is it somewhat easy to learn and play?

Did you like it? Would you replay it?

Thanks much!

The learning curve is ok.

No I don't like it. No I wouldn't replay it. No I wouldn't recommend it.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I like the expansion it made exploration fun and all the races have their own victory conditions.Lots of replayablity.
adamsolo

Post by adamsolo »

Armada 2526 is easy to learn, enjoyable and way less complex than DW (but that's not hard).

I like it. Especially after the Supernova expansion, that I think makes a big difference.
Armada 2526 was the game I played for a reasonable amount of time. You have a Armada 2526 Review (vanilla version) in my blog in case you're interested. I also have a Supernova (quite extensive) first impressions. I hope this helps you out a bit on your decision.

And I agree with lordxorn on the lack of ship design and on the poor tactical combat. Clearly combat is not my favorite part of the game. I love the exploration part though, reminds me of MoO2 a lot. And the music is great by the way.

You ask if it's worth it. Yes, definitely if you're a 4x fan with a MoO2 background.

Now I play DW RotS which I think is superior overall.
Another good alternative is Star Ruler. Now at v1.1 is a very enjoyable game if you're a 4x fan.

SpaceSector.com
Your source for Space & Sci-Fi Strategy Games
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

Love it. It's just as good as DW, in its own right. The developer was part of one of the Total War games, and it shows--the whole game resembles the original medieval: total war in space. That alone sounds pretty fun, but it's also got very deep diplomacy, exploration, and other 4x-y things I would never have thought could work with the Total War formula, but actually work really well.

I like to think of it as a hearkening back the old school kind of game. Very deep, very easy to learn, hard to master. Definately has an old school feel to it.
Malevolence

Post by Malevolence »

It's a very polished game, but is superficial in many ways -- you realize quickly it's only an inch deep. It would have been a better successor to MOO2 than MOO3 actually turned out to be and is reminiscent of MOO2 in look and feel.

To go totally off the reservation, if you're just looking to expand your horizons have you considered checking out some of the perennial pen & paper games? Traveller (by Marc Miller) has Pocket Empires (and many other tactical combat rulesets) and for tactical combat depth maybe look at Full Thrust.

Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

What I disliked in the game was the modability. My 2cent 

Anguille

Post by Anguille »

Obviously i like the game very much. One great aspect is also the fact that you can play it pbem.

Exploring the galaxy is really fun with Supernova.
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

Ah Traveller! Now thats a space game. The Original that Mark Miller started back in the late 80's with the little booklets was just awesome, but vague...
Go for the Eyes Boo!

32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Malevolence

Post by Malevolence »

ORIGINAL: Larsenex

Ah Traveller! Now thats a space game. The Original that Mark Miller started back in the late 80's with the little booklets was just awesome, but vague...

Vague maybe because your imagination filling in the details is a lot of fun! Some company recently released the updated LBBs (little black books) - mongoose or something like that -- but I've not seen them myself.

Edit: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/ those are the folks
Nicht kleckern, sondern klotzen!

*Please remember all posts are made by a malevolent, autocratic despot whose rule is marked by unjust severity and arbitrary behavior. Your experiences may vary.
Sarissofoi

Post by Sarissofoi »

Armada?
This wanna be GC?
I cant really recomend this game.
Its shallow and boring.
Tactical battles are dull and simply bad.
It somewhow remind me Imperium Galactica 2 but its worse.
Tech tree is really simple and there is no ship design.
It has some charm but it wasnt enough for me to keep my interest.
If you can get it cheap you can try but dont really can recomend this game for anyone who look for good 4x game.
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Gelatinous Cube »

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi

Armada?
This wanna be GC?
I cant really recomend this game.
Its shallow and boring.
Tactical battles are dull and simply bad.
It somewhow remind me Imperium Galactica 2 but its worse.
Tech tree is really simple and there is no ship design.
It has some charm but it wasnt enough for me to keep my interest.
If you can get it cheap you can try but dont really can recomend this game for anyone who look for good 4x game.

Well that's not really fair. The tactical battles are bad, but not that bad. And I like that there's no ship design. That's one thing DW needs some serious work on--Ship Design. Right now it's so complicated I just leave it on auto. Only game to ever get ship design exactly right was the first Sword of the Stars. And Armada 2526: Supernova because they just left it out!
Sarissofoi

Post by Sarissofoi »

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

Well that's not really fair. The tactical battles are bad, but not that bad. And I like that there's no ship design. That's one thing DW needs some serious work on--Ship Design. Right now it's so complicated I just leave it on auto. Only game to ever get ship design exactly right was the first Sword of the Stars. And Armada 2526: Supernova because they just left it out!

Yep. Not really fair. Just my personally feelings.
Agree about DW ship designs. It waqs horrible(dunno how it look now). I like design my own constructions and design screen in DW was terrible.
Only game to ever get ship design exactly right was the first Sword of the Stars.
Heresy!!
Actually Master of Orion have much more better ship designs(also MoO2 and Space Empires have good enough). SotS I isnt bad in this point but still isnt perfect.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

It's a very polished game, but is superficial in many ways -- you realize quickly it's only an inch deep. It would have been a better successor to MOO2 than MOO3 actually turned out to be and is reminiscent of MOO2 in look and feel.

To go totally off the reservation, if you're just looking to expand your horizons have you considered checking out some of the perennial pen & paper games? Traveller (by Marc Miller) has Pocket Empires (and many other tactical combat rulesets) and for tactical combat depth maybe look at Full Thrust.

Memories of fighting space combat complete with visible ship vectors laid out on the loungeroom floor from the original combat mechanics. I think the MOO's follow the (later) High Guard system.

Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

Has anyone got SotS II working so they can do ship upgrades? How is it?
Go for the Eyes Boo!

32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Larsenex,

I think that if you enjoyed MOO or BOTF or Reach for the Stars, you'd probably enjoy Armada 2526, especially with the expansion. It's a good game, though it's not everyone's cup of tea.

For SOTS, I'd recommend the original SOTS I with all the expansion packs if you don't have it. Very complete and very fun. There's also an interesting mod out there (AMC) that makes it a bit more deep.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

WoW thanks Eric. Great info here.
Go for the Eyes Boo!

32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
There's also an interesting mod out there (AMC) that makes it a bit more deep.
- Erik

Small correction - this mod has name ACM, no AMC.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”