Bwheatley vs abulbulian GC 1.5.18 beta (no abulbulian)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

bwheatley

RE: Bwheatley vs abulbulian GC 1.5.18 beta (no abulbulian)

Post by bwheatley »

ORIGINAL: kirkgregerson

I think it's time to run away from Leningrad as fast as possible.  Leaving only some decent infantry units in key cities and forts to bleed the approaching German units.  After reading abubuilan's AAR, you seem to being doing a great job evacuating armaments factories and hvy industry.  This is frustrating him and I don't blame him as every armament factory moved to the east is more Soviet troops equipped to kill Germans in the future. Maybe you can tell me you secret sometime.  If you don't want to post it, just PM me.  [:D]

Yea i'm sad to see aras bought into the whole omgwtfbbq you have to get arm factories craze. There is no real plan compared to some people. I just look at what's coming up and put 90% of my rail prod at getting shiz out. I'm hopefully going to finish the turn tonight or tomorrow. :)
-Alpha Tester Carrier Force
-Beta Tester ATG
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's WAW mod
- Mod Maintainer (past) for ATG's GPW mod
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

How did turn go?  Did you break out of that southern pocket?  Seems like a tough thing to do.  I believe the screen shots so far were from 'before' the turn?  Are you going to try and hold the Dnepr in the south for a turn or two? 

It will all depend on what happens with that pocket. If i can break myself out i'll probably pull back and let those guys get reencircled and buy some time. The one thing that is frustrating is men turn into wimps once they've been encircled. So the panzers don't need to stay around to shrink the pocket they can leave you in your ZOC tomb. So it doesn't really unfold in a realistic manner. But yea my south is shot so we'll see what we can scrap together. At least i've got the crimea locked down pretty tight. Not like i've seen a german player take it manstein style yet though.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Southern Pocket is free. It will probably still die but it's free.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
kirkgregerson

Post by kirkgregerson »

Well played.
[:)]

It will still buy you time now with them free for a turn. Do you have any screen shots coming?

heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

I think it's time to run away from Leningrad as fast as possible.  Leaving only some decent infantry units in key cities and forts to bleed the approaching German units.  After reading abubuilan's AAR, you seem to being doing a great job evacuating armaments factories and hvy industry.  This is frustrating him and I don't blame him as every armament factory moved to the east is more Soviet troops equipped to kill Germans in the future. Maybe you can tell me you secret sometime.  If you don't want to post it, just PM me.  [:D]

If the German is not using HQ buildup in waves in the south, I don't think there is any possibility of getting armament points between Bryansk and Stalino. With the hindsight knowledge that the only factories that matter are armament means that unless the German is willing to burn a lot of trucks to get them, he's not going to get them.

If HQ buildup is nerfed, something must also be done to the hindsight advantage Soviet players get, I think. Actually, I think something should be done to both, with the hindsight advantage needing more nerfage than Buildup. Buildup has a downside; leaving HI and vehicles behind (among others) doesn't have a downside.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Well played.
[:)]

It will still buy you time now with them free for a turn. Do you have any screen shots coming?

I have some screen shots i just have to process them. In the latest update it looks like ara is having trouble in the north he said. Told me the noose is tighter up north but he only got 2 hexes further.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
kirkgregerson

Post by kirkgregerson »

Thanks. I've been checking out abulbulian's AAR, but he's got nothing posted yet for turn #8.
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Ugh uploading the first T8 screen shots. I'm a little pissed at myself still for the debacle on the leningrad border. I think i know why the units i created evaporated. I put some Fort units in place just to stop the finns from crossing the no attack line. BUT i forgot the rail line had been cut so I'm assuming they got no reinforcements and thus just disappeared when the finns marched down. Such a pathetic end to such a great location with potential to tie up german forces.

A mistake i hope my soldiers will forgive me for because it's clear that it will spell trouble for moscow. He's obviously going to once again turn his panzer group in AGN towards the south now. In our last couple games he uses that group as soon as Leningrad is isolated as a northern pincer to form a big old pocket in front of moscow.

When i reviewed screens from our older games in the south he is way ahead of schedule. He is actually a couple turns ahead in the north.
Thankfully i had a date day with the wife today so it was a good time to try to cope with the stresses of dealing with the nightmare. I'm back more refreshed and ready to continue the struggle.

In the south my exuberance for cutting off wiking a 2nd time resulted in the encirclement of two armies. I think i found a hole to rescue them though. Unfortunately they will ultimately die but the 2 lines further east will at least have a few more turns to build up. At this point there is also a pocket a few hexes west of kharkov. The last few games kharkov was a pivotal location that was the location of a few sound winter thumpings for the germans. We have most of the factories out of kharkov including the T34's so i'm hoping to at least use it as a place to slow down the germans.

At this pace though it feels like winter will never get here in time. We have another lines that was started at the start of the war by rostov. We're hoping it doesn't get that far but the way things are going now it might just happen. We will need all the luck we can get in the coming months. Mud starts on T17 right? I can never remember. :)
That's 9 long turns from now. He might make it to the urals by then.

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

The one saving grace so far with leningrad is sviritisa is open so i've been able to port out a few units that are in the soon to come leningrad pocket.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Man comparing to T8 of our first game we played i've lost 500k more men (with 2 armies pocketed still in the south) ugh this is gonna be ugly. Of course i've killed 50k more germans though as well.
I had an AAR from the first game but i can't seem to find it in the site to check how fast ara progressed. 
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Northern Front

A big old pickle i've gotten myself into around leningrad. This time i wasn't tricked or duped. I just screwed up and the back door fell over when the finns knocked on it. So time to evacuate and hope to save a majority of my men. This game i've had 500k more casualties then T8 on the first game we played.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Center

Our center line with our best generals protecting moscow. I fear it will fall this game. I've lost leningrad too early so the AGN panzers will be coming SE for a northern pincer any turn now.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Orel Front (South Central)

I see some dirty hungarians.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

South

I let ara trick me again. I saw wiking for a 2nd turn just sitting there. It did pop into my head why did he leave it there. As soon as i hit send on the turn the light turned on that he was probably trapping me. And sure enough he did. 2 armies of about 100-200K more men who will be lost. At least it should preoccupy his ID's for a few turns.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Crimea

By god he's not going to get into the crimea without some bloodshed at least.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Pocket freed

I freed one of the pockets west of kharkov. It will cost me that cavalry but it will buy me some time hopefully. T9 we'll see how low on fuel those panzers were. If they get to kharkov then they were one of the units who was resting a few turns. We have everything we want out of kharkov so it should be ok whatever happens.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Ground Losses

This game i am 500K up on my losses from the first wite game we played. And ara's losses are 50k more. So at least its proportional.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

OOB

At least our army and tanks out number the germans.
One of the highlights of my turn was finding and smacking 2 units of the hungarian mot unit (i think that's the hungarian unit with the mech).

-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
bwheatley

Post by bwheatley »

Leningrad in shambles

In a blunder that ranks right up there in history the soviets were counting on the fact that the finns would listen to what the United States and western powers were telling it. Do not step foot onto soviet soil or else...
They are going to be in leningrad proper next turn. We were able to get almost everything back over the river and hopefully this will not be another large pocket. But it will mean that the AGN panzers will be reattached to AGC and push on moscow.

In reality i just forgot to put fort units on the line north of leningrad the first turn. Then the 2nd turn they didn't have enough time to actually build so they disbanded. Plans are beginning next turn for the evacuation of the moscow industrial complexes.
-Beta Tester ATG
-Beta Tester WITE
-Alpha Tester WITW
-Alpha Tester WITE2
-Alpha Tester Wif
-Beta Tester Command
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Building fortified zones and not putting troops in the same hex is largely a waste. When attacked alone, they invariably lose and your opponent gains morale/experience while you lose arms.

In looking over some of your defensive arrangements, some seem made for pocketing. Maybe in cases this is by design to gain time? There are regularly places where the terrain is left open and the enemy can flank you. He needs only moderate air recon to see that.

Return to “After Action Reports”