Distant Worlds - Space Rangers Announced!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

YourConscience

Distant Worlds - Space Rangers Announced!

Post by YourConscience »

A new expansion to the award-winning space strategy game is headed this way with a twist!

Matriks Games and May the Force Be With You (http://www.may-the-force-be-with-you.com/) are thrilled to announce Distant Worlds - Space Rangers. Currently in early design phase and expected to release early in the morning on November 12th 2013, Distant Worlds - Space Rangers is the third expansion to the widely acclaimed space strategy game, Distant Worlds. Distant Worlds - Space Rangers is packed with exciting new features and improvements, including a dynamic world with dynamically generated characters based on the acclaimed Distant Worlds - Legends engine. Game Play is based on starting out as a humble freighter pilot trying to earn some money with progress right until building up a fleet large enough to defend your very first colony of Space Rangers, at which point the game switches to a strategy mode, very similar to Distant Worlds - Legends where the Space Rangers represent an own organisation intent on saving the civilized civilizations from the certain doom of the certainly soon to appear Dominators. Even or especially those who oppose to being saved.

Taking a clear inspiration from other genre hits such as Escape Velocity Nova or Space Rangers: Dominators Distant Worlds - Space Rangers lets the player experience what it means to be the poor frighter pilot when the empire you belong suddenly declares war on that other empire in whose well-fortified home-world orbit you are currently floating around. For the more shady-natured players it allows to experience to enjoy the fun of having an unlimited amount of respawning pirate bases to hide in when the law enforcement finally finds time to squash your budding pirate business. With the addition of head-hunters, treasure seekers and dynamic missions generated around these new elements, the life of the budding trader (or pirate) never gets boring, or too safe.

Luckily, as research progresses within the various empires in the universe, the player will be able to upgrade his ship to become the deadliest mercenary, the richest trader with the biggest cargo ship, or the quickest explorer of all times. Every action has consequences, as damaging one empire will certainly damage your relations with them, but might make you friends with their enemies. Those might even hire the player to perform certain high-risk sabotage actions such as blowing up a strategically important fuel mining base, or kidnapping a troop transport.

All of this together makes Distant Worlds - Space Rangers an essential addition to the vast, living galaxy of Distant Worlds!

Please note: Distant Worlds - Space Rangers REQUIRES ownership of the original full Distant Worlds game.

Get more information on Distant Worlds - Space Rangers from its official product page.

Now, wouldn't that be nice? :)
lordxorn

RE: Distant Worlds - Space Rangers Announced!

Post by lordxorn »

At first I was like, "why did they change the name from Legends to Space Rangers." lol
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Well damn...
Just finished watching Paul and my first reaction after reading this was: WTF MAN?!
Somebody should definetly lay off the petrayak milk for a while. Human fridays...
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Well damn...
Just finished watching Paul and my first reaction after reading this was: WTF MAN?!
Somebody should definetly lay off the petrayak milk for a while. Human fridays...

Did you actually click on the link like I did?
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Might wanna check that link, lordxorn, as I'm not seeing any.
Data

Post by Data »

YC, don't ever do that again man [:)]
I'm talking from the point of view of a SR series die hard [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

[:D][:D][:D] Well, well... Hey, but it does give an idea - Space Mercenaries. A fleet-for-hire for those one-shot anonymous missions!
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Well, you can kinda do that with pirates by hiring them as mercs.
But, it would be extremely interesting to have freelancing merenaries who don't attack anybody by default, have super strong starbase as their HQ, powerful fleet and can be paid to attack selected targets of other empires. Kinda like merc pirates but neutral and can't ally with anybody; Mercs through and through.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Do you really mean 2013?
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Exactly what I had in mind))! Plus, in my view, you can (should) control the mercenaries, where you can't control the pirates.
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
YourConscience

Post by YourConscience »

Heheh, yeah, I did mean 2013. It's going to take some time to reverse engineer the source code of Distant Worlds. Programming the game that was announced will be a piece of cake afterwards, I am sure of that.

But actually I'm half-way serious. A nice spinoff would really have you play as the captain of a humble smuggler, err, trader while the entire universe unfolds around you. Just put resource production and research at about 1/50th of the normal speed and it'll feel really well.
Setekh

Post by Setekh »

I'm guessing this is entirely fabricated then...[8|][:-]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Yes, this was definitely a gag post, it was not an official announcement from us.

With that said, it's a fun idea. [8D]

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Balakirev

Post by Balakirev »

Currently in early design phase and expected to release early in the morning on November 12th 2013,

Dead giveaway to parody.  But really cute. :D
Grubwurm

Post by Grubwurm »

That's wasn't funny at all took all of 2min of my time to read thru these posts only to be taken on a ride ---- not funny at all
Ares106

Post by Ares106 »

that concept sort of sounded like mount and blade in space.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

I was like, is it April already?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”