Jason?

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

phcas

Jason?

Post by phcas »

Hello All,

I see there is not to much activity anymore on this forum. What about Jason Petho. His last Modern Wars Blog is from june 2011. I hope he is not ill or something.

Anyway, to make a MOD I am still waiting for the encryptcode v1.04 to rework the files to make a good MOD.

Isn't it time to release the encryptcode for the public to push new life into the game?

I hope so

Greetings Caspar[&o]

Attachments
JTCS.jpg
JTCS.jpg (14.95 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Jason Petho

RE: Jason?

Post by Jason Petho »

Modern Wars: Volume I still has a dedicated team working on it.

I haven't had time lately to update the blog, but now winter is coming, I'll have some additional free time to push things along.

Jason Petho
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Still no answer to the question of the encryption.......i suggest just forgetting that request because that will never happen....if you go back to i believe 1.03 you can use the coder from the old red arrow productions site. I may have it somewhere if i locate i will post it
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
2. John Tiller's Battleground Series
3. Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord
4. Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
8. Rise and Fall of the Third Re
Dumnorix

Post by Dumnorix »

Hi Caspar,
I play Africa Corps and Modern War Corps yet - JTCS is death.

Africa Corps
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=240

Modern War Corps
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... &start=140

H.Balck
MrRoadrunner

Post by MrRoadrunner »

Dumassrocks, go away. You poison JTCS.

Some of us still like JTCS and will play it.
If you don't like it that is fine. I didn't much care for your Frankenstein mod.

Promote the games you like on their forums. No need to put down JTCS or Matrix. [:-]

RR
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

This is an interesting mix of views on here. JTCS is a great game. Interesting aspect to an old series. Fun, some detail but enjoyable. Like any other game it is just a game. Have fun with it if you don't like sell it or give it away. Does this games have quirks, of course but what game doesn't....IT IS A GAME! No more no less. I just it more enjoyable when I do mods to it and enjoy the solitaire aspect. My 2 cents and I expect change if not owing more then I get back.
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: barker

This is an interesting mix of views on here. JTCS is a great game. Interesting aspect to an old series. Fun, some detail but enjoyable. Like any other game it is just a game. Have fun with it if you don't like sell it or give it away. Does this games have quirks, of course but what game doesn't....IT IS A GAME! No more no less. I just it more enjoyable when I do mods to it and enjoy the solitaire aspect. My 2 cents and I expect change if not owing more then I get back.

I get tired of players who try to trivialize or minimize other players' opinions of JTCS by making "... it is just a game" statements... as if those individuals know best what others should be passionate or interested in? [&:]

IMO... JTCS mods are taking someone's creative work... and modifying / altering it beyond the original developers' intention and purpose of the game engine... into some kind of warped version. It's like Turner taking a classic 1940's B&W film like Casablanca and colorizing it. It adds nothing to the original story and is provided only as "eye candy" for folks who are jaded by B&W films because in these persons' minds B&W films are "old" and could "never" be equal to a "colorized" version?

And Barker, by all means, if you want to mod JTCS so you can simulate the American Revolution or fight as Buzz Light Year in the 25th century - go for it? But don't pressure or demand Matrix provide you with the code to do so?

Also, by all means, play JTCS solitaire if that is your interest? IMO, due to the limitations of the JTCS AI, solitaire play is the weakest and less enjoyable aspect of the game? IMO, PBeM versus human opponents is the optimal JTCS experience - but again, that is my opinion?

Place another two cents in the tin cup Barker. Thanks. [;)]

Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

I have to say I am pretty happy with the game just the way it is. If people want to mod it, I have no beef with that. But making it look like some other game.... no thanks. My opinion...any mods that are done should be within the confines of the present game. There are plenty of other games simulating other wars and there are plenty of games with different graphics to please everyone. My changes I would like would be more in the form of "tweaks" to the present game.
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: Deputy

I have to say I am pretty happy with the game just the way it is.

I am too. I support incremental, well-researched, and careful CS game design changes and improvements. I do wish that Modern Wars was not monopolizing all the development cycles... so that work could be done on the promised CS Version 1.05 upgrade? [&:]
Regards, - Mike

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." - Albert Einstein
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: mwest
I am too. I support incremental, well-researched, and careful CS game design changes and improvements. I do wish that Modern Wars was not monopolizing all the development cycles... so that work could be done on the promised CS Version 1.05 upgrade? [&:]

I wish I was in a position that I was paid to do nothing but work on the games, but unfortunately that isn't an option.

Alas, things take a lot longer than they normally would.

Jason Petho
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Regarding the OP, I would actually put my thumbs_up for opening the encryption as well.

I've spent quite a lot of time lately with the Total War series, especially with Rome: Total War series. While I immensely enjoyed the original RTW, it is only when I found the variety of mods I truly was impressed. Similar with Medieval: Total War. The mod teams have taken the medieval environment and created things like a complete Lord of the Rings mod to run using that engine.

I do not know if it is doable, but maybe should things go that far in some distant future the very last JTCS patch (edit) should open this to all community.

I do appreciate the fact this is still a commercial product, but then again so are Total War varieties. Nowadays many fans buy the game only to get the engine to run one of the cool mods.

And this as a huge JTCS fan :)
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

I am a huge JTCS fan as well. I love the game. I remember buying east front...waiting for west front, then East Front II, Then Rising Sun, Sea Lion...I was a happy camper. It is a great game. AI yes is weak to say the least but all in all I like the ability to change the oob's, maybe add a few units here and there. Heck I even went as far as adding OOB's and their time frames from Stantons and Nafziger's Books so when playing a campaign I would get a rotation of troops from not only my side but the AI. That makes interesting fun. I even gave theAI a spooter plane that was interesting. I understand every game has limitations but with those limitations there is fun along the way. So with a different opinion then some why dog me out? Just curious, I had nothing ill to say nor wish to all I brought up was the encryption...sore point to some but not to others. This 1.05 upgrade has been promised since 07-08 here it is nearing 2012. Sounds alot like the World in Flames computer game. But I am a patient person and yes when the upgrade does eventually come out I will get it like I do all the others. You say well-researched, and careful CS game design changes and improvements" that go for extreme assault, variable visibility and etc. Oh well another plinking sound in the tin cup
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

The ability to mod is still available, as explained in the manual. With the exception of the platoon files, all other files are readily available for editing at your discretion.

Send me your files and I am happy to encrypt them.

Others have been happily doing so and my turn around is usually rather prompt.

Jason Petho
marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

Jason, You and your tem have done a great job I am not taking anything from that KUDOS to a well deserved at a boy. At times though people do make a comment or opinion and that is great. It gives more insight to the overall mindset to the developers on how games should run on a wider basis of the consumer population. Economics 101. I am really suprised that the game still has life is all. Many games have more or less gone by the wayside. The old SSI Titles, Shilo and No greater Glory. and etc. I still have them. I even have the rise and fall of the 3rd reich. All I am saying is good job!
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

You say well-researched, and careful CS game design changes and improvements" that go for extreme assault, variable visibility and etc. Oh well another plinking sound in the tin cup

If you can clarify what you are stating here... I could formulate a reply... but currently I have no clue? [&:]
Regards, - Mike

marcbarker

Post by marcbarker »

What I was stating is you said you are behind well thoughtout, researched mods. I said was extreme assault well thought out? Was varible Visibilty thought out&nbsp; and well crafted? Any way well thought out plans are at times the best plan for destruction. Besides why so adament on changes that are requested to a personal install that effects no one else? I do like the idea of an unencrytped platoon file structure, gives the end user more flexibility in design and function.
games:
1. AGEOD Blue and Gray
5. V for Victory Games
6. Silent Hunter III
7. Silent Hunter IV
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

What I was stating is you said you are behind well thoughtout, researched mods. I said was extreme assault well thought out? Was varible Visibilty thought out  and well crafted?

I think the "intentions" behind both Extreme Assault and Variable Visibility were good and were intended to improve and make more enjoyable JTCS. I think the overall impact to the game - especially to earlier scenarios that were developed prior to EA and VV, was NOT anticipated, and the "split" it caused in the CS player community was tragic. Making these controversial rules "optional" was a good compromise.

Any way well thought out plans are at times the best plan for destruction. Besides why so adament on changes that are requested to a personal install that effects no one else? I do like the idea of an unencrytped platoon file structure, gives the end user more flexibility in design and function.

I work for one of the largest IT companies in the world... and in this environment, one does not readily "give away" SW source code or unencrypted code that is company intellectual property. One of the dangers of being so "open" (pun intended), is that your competition can re-engineer your SW and build a "better" / "improved" application that can be marketed and sold against your product.

We actually have such an example in these forums? There is a CS player, who has developed a CS mod, and that individual is trying to develop and market a "new" game based on the JTCS game engine.

In my book, I call that "wrong."
Regards, - Mike

baltjes

Post by baltjes »

Hello folkes,

The forum seems to show some rivival again! Good to see. Thought it was all dead and gone.

I agree with those who state that the JTCS engine is quite weak. Playing against AI can be satisfying with the shorter scenario's, with the larger ones, however, AI makes many strange, 'illogical' (not to say 'weird') moves. Such as cluttering ON objective hexes in stead of finding positions to defend them adequately. Or moving transport- and leader units to full exhaustion. AI-turns do take very long time to finish. And that seems not to be a matter of computer memory; even with 4 GB - memory machines this is the case. Therefore, to play a huge scenario (as I like them) agains AI will be less satisfying in the (not so) long run. So, H2H is the best. However, what 'fool' is willing to set up a PBeM game with a scenario with over 300 turns!

As a adict to devellop huge scenario's (over 10.000 units ; mapsize over 500 x 500 hexes), I found that playing H2H with the HOTSEAT option is a good alternative. (That is how I am testing home made scenarios) Then, you are playing against yourselve! And, believe me, you can't remember the postions and moves of your 'opponents' units!

Huge scenario's wil cover quite a lot of (battle)time. The point I want to make here is that not all modifications are necessarilly bound to encriptions and (de)coding only at forehand by the computer. Of course there are some pre-set modifications like the 'Close Combat' rule. But variable visibility can be easily managed in the btl.-file (or btt.-file for hot seat games, bte.-file for PBeM games). You can have day turns, night turns, dusk- and dawn- turns and even on full day -turns the visibility can depend upon the weather! (fog, clouds, rain, haze, etc. etc.) Even more, you can bring variability in the ground conditions depending on season and weather. It is even possible to simulate variable supply conditions. The only prerequisite is that the conditions hold for the total battlefield; it is not possible to have 'mud' at one place and 'snow' at another place at the same time.

I am using these modifications in my home made scenario's of wich some have been released in the Games Depot of the 'Wargamer'. A few others ('Uranus' (for East Front) and 'Herbstnebel' (for West Front)) have not been released yet. Primarily because I am to lazy to write the needed explanatory notes to those scenario's. ( The point is; when a scenario 'works', I am putting it aside and put my mind on other ones, like Dynamo and Fall of Berlin).

Nevertheless, JTCS still is (and remains), despite its shortcomings, a wunderfull game with enough challenges to devellop new scenario's. It is this feature that proves the power of the game and it is a pity that so few new scenario's are relieved. (with some shame to myself)

Hajo Baltjes
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Well I guess I am in the minority, but I actually ENJOY playing games against the AI and have NEVER played against a human and have no urge or intention to do so. Yes, there are still some weird quirks that have been present since version 1.00 of the AI "burning up" movement points in things like trucks and command cars. It's a bit irritating but not a big deal. And as already stated, the options that have been introcuced vary in effectiveness and playability, but they are OPTIONS. You DON'T have to use them.

I do find it a bit bizarre that a unit can be right next to an opposing unit, both hexes can be 100% visible and clear terrain, yet I can't see the enemy unit and he can see me. And I don't see him until I try and move into the hex. Even when he fires at me I don't see him. Something is wrong with that. He is either in a "phantom zone", or hidden units is not working right. I also find it a bit odd that enemy units can sit in one location for multiple turns, yet when I target them for artillery fire, they suddenly decide to move. That's like playing cards and having your opponent look over your shoulder to see what your hand is. Not right.
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series
kool_kat

Post by kool_kat »

ORIGINAL: baltjes

The forum seems to show some rivival again! Good to see. Thought it was all dead and gone.

You'll find a lot more daily activity at the JTCS forum of the Blitz Wargame Club:

http://www.theblitz.org/message_boards/ ... .php?fid=8

I occasionally poke my head in here... but prefer to spend the majority of my online CS forum posting time at the Blitz! [8D]
Regards, - Mike

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”