Spain or Russia

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Red Prince

RE: Closing the Med

Post by Red Prince »

And the southern Nazi-Soviet Pact border:

Attachments
PactBorder.jpg
PactBorder.jpg (471.19 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

And, finally, I give you Spain and N. Africa:

Attachments
Spain.jpg
Spain.jpg (499 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

If there are a lot of land units in the UK early in the war, the Axis is discouraged from building sea lift units - and the threat of Sea Lion goes by the board.

There is a pure corollary to that for the Germans ... this is why I like to 'waste' 3 or 6 BPs as the Germans laying down an AMPH or two or finishing one....just to keep the British Army at home for a while and spread far more thin on the ground in the Med. It is about the price of a Condor, a very desirable piece to have when fighting the Royal Navy, so it is hard to spend those BPs, but can accomplish perhaps more than an extra Condor does. Think of it as a big expenditure on an intel op.

I also like to build the Graf Zeppelin early on to that same end, but then keep it safely tucked away in the Baltic until the Tirpitz can arrive with some of the spare BPs in 1942. The Kriegsmarine can't prevent Overlord, but it can surely draw in more USN from the Pacific map and hopefully lower the Allies SB totals when the time comes....but I've drifted too far from the shore for this thread.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

nice posts, thanks.

like others have pointed out, the CW's main problem is too much naval construction early on. they do need to continually invest in lift with their ship gearing, but the first several turns their Infantry gearing should be as high as you can make it. build out their MIL pool so the London MIL and a few others can always keep appearing at the center of the action, repeatedly; you also need to boost the garrison in India lest Gandhi appear and begin to embarrass the CW production totals. (Even worse can be a rebel partisan appearing in Singapore before it is defended). So you can even consider building some TERR units too; one of those stacked with an elite/white-print INF or MIL can make a fairly strong yet cheap defense of key places.

it will be an interesting game for you. Germany is in for a dime in the Med now and has to go in for the whole dollar; i.e. they should keep driving past Suez and Gibraltar as far as possible (completing the conquest of France in Morocco) to force the Western Allies to come back at them from bases as far away as possible. (The Jolly Green Giant is coming soon.....)

Conversely, the Allies need to develop serious fronts both in north-east and north-west Africa to accomplish several objectives - reducing the force the Axis can attack Russia with, and returning to the Med as soon as possible. The war with Russia will likely develop into a serious struggle along the Persian/Iraq border as each side would likely go 'all in' there in an attempt to get Turkey to join the war while the main front in Russia proper might feature a lower unit density and more fluid tempo than normal as the Axis land forces operate on so many land fronts simultaneously. Even if Turkey does jump in, the Allies should keep fighting because an early entry for the USA leads to a staggeringly powerful war machine, as long as the USA doesn't make the same mistake the CW did here and builds the most incredible fleet the world has ever seen while the Axis run riot everywhere on land.
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

nice posts, thanks.

like others have pointed out, the CW's main problem is too much naval construction early on. they do need to continually invest in lift with their ship gearing, but the first several turns their Infantry gearing should be as high as you can make it. build out their MIL pool so the London MIL and a few others can always keep appearing at the center of the action, repeatedly; you also need to boost the garrison in India lest Gandhi appear and begin to embarrass the CW production totals. (Even worse can be a rebel partisan appearing in Singapore before it is defended). So you can even consider building some TERR units too; one of those stacked with an elite/white-print INF or MIL can make a fairly strong yet cheap defense of key places.

it will be an interesting game for you. Germany is in for a dime in the Med now and has to go in for the whole dollar; i.e. they should keep driving past Suez and Gibraltar as far as possible (completing the conquest of France in Morocco) to force the Western Allies to come back at them from bases as far away as possible. (The Jolly Green Giant is coming soon.....)

Conversely, the Allies need to develop serious fronts both in north-east and north-west Africa to accomplish several objectives - reducing the force the Axis can attack Russia with, and returning to the Med as soon as possible. The war with Russia will likely develop into a serious struggle along the Persian/Iraq border as each side would likely go 'all in' there in an attempt to get Turkey to join the war while the main front in Russia proper might feature a lower unit density and more fluid tempo than normal as the Axis land forces operate on so many land fronts simultaneously. Even if Turkey does jump in, the Allies should keep fighting because an early entry for the USA leads to a staggeringly powerful war machine, as long as the USA doesn't make the same mistake the CW did here and builds the most incredible fleet the world has ever seen while the Axis run riot everywhere on land.
[:)] The USA has been building a better mix, limiting naval builds to lift, a few CP, and CVs. Last turn (or the one before), I started a slow build-up of as many land classes as I could afford. The USA is already in Iceland in force, and those troops are just waiting to jump to North Ireland -- I really want the front-line primary supply source there.

Inda has been reinforced heavily, but not before a Partisan showed up in Bombay and destroyed the factory there.

The problem with the Persian-Iraqi border is that Iraq is actually Italian. Therefore, while Germany can afford to place 4 units there to get ready to bring Turkey into the war, the USSR really can't put more than a token unit or two on that border -- they certainly can't go "all in", because they don't get any Neutrality Pact garrison value out of units on that border. If the Soviets want to avoid a '41 Barbarossa, they almost have to concede the Persian lands. (I think).
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

And, finally, I give you Spain and N. Africa:

Another related question:

Given this position, should Germany go ahead and DOW Portugal (possibly in combination with a Japanese DOW, in order to take East Timor)?

The benefit would be that Portugal should be easy to take, and that it would allow Germany to simply garrison all of Western Europe. If Portugal is left Neutral, the Allies could make the DOW at a crucial moment and get a rather large plot of land on Europer proper out of it. In order to prevent that, Germany would have to leave troops on that border that would serve better on the Eastern Front.

The downside, of course, is that a DOW on Portugal could mean an extra chit or two (if Japan follows) for the US. If it is to be done, it needs to be done before the end of 1940, I think. And it certainly needs to be done before the USA enters the war -- don't want them to be the aligning Major Power, now, do we?
-----
Edit: My instinct says, "Yes, by all means, DOW Portugal!" The worst case scenario with this (I believe) would be for the USA to be at war with Japan only before this DOW is made . . . or for them to be able to DOW Portugal themselves before being at war with Germany. If this were to happen during Barbarossa . . . well, the Americans would just LOVE to have that land to gather the troops together.

Also, Lisbon would be a lovely base for a SUB fleet, wouldn't it?
-Lazarus Long, RAH
AstroBlues

Post by AstroBlues »

Have you been building German subs?
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

ORIGINAL: Ronster

Have you been building German subs?
Between Germany and Italy, I've been putting about 2 BP per turn into SUBs. It's about a 2:1 split between the two powers. I intend to boost that by another point or two soon, aiming for 2-3 points per turn throughout '41.
-Lazarus Long, RAH
AstroBlues

Post by AstroBlues »

In a WiF game that is on hold now, I did the same thing as I built a sub a turn. I once played a War in Europe game where I conquered both Spain and Portugal and that is where the Allies invaded. The more you conquer the more territory you have to defend.
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

ORIGINAL: Ronster

In a WiF game that is on hold now, I did the same thing as I built a sub a turn. I once played a War in Europe game where I conquered both Spain and Portugal and that is where the Allies invaded. The more you conquer the more territory you have to defend.
That's true, but not taking Portugal allows an uncontested landing on an Allied surprise impulse. Also, the border is longer. While it means more to defend, it should take fewer units to cover the coast, and it also means the Allies will need to go farther to get to the primary goals (Victory cities).

I don't know which way is best, but I'm tempted to try for Portugal next turn.
-Lazarus Long, RAH
AstroBlues

Post by AstroBlues »

I would go ahead and conquer Portuagal. A sub base in LIsbon could get you in and around the Horn of Africa with the German and Italian subs.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

USA and Commonwealth can come back in northern Spain or Portugal if Axis invaded it. Allies should even consider invading Portugal and use it as a base to reenter in Spain if Portugal is still neutral when USA is at war.

If Axis is occupied in USSR, they will have logistic issues in Spain most probably. Keeping well supplied garrisons in France and Spain will be difficult for them.

And when the allies will chase the Axis from southern Spain. They can try to retake Gibraltar. Probably they will also need to take bases on the western mediterranean to operate naval airplanes there that can threaten any sortie from the italian fleet.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I was just trying to point out a common Allied mistake I have seen after the fall of Suez & Gibraltar.....sitting back and building for a year or two or three to invade Europe. This frees up too much of the Axis ground strength to attack Russia. Maintaining a front in Africa can be done simultaneously with that build-up. In the game under discussion, it is only 1940 after all. The CW force pool has several units ideal to harass the Axis with in Africa: 2-5 and 2-6 MOT and MECH divisions, as well as cavalry the original poster just recently built. Back those with a C-47 for air re-supply and the whole Middle East can become supply-challenged for an Axis campaign into Persia (hint: rush something to Kuwait before the Iraqis sign up with Il Duce). A front in north-east Africa (upper Egypt / Sudan) could become dicey for the Allies once Japan enters the war, but then those early investments in the Royal Navy might start to look pretty smart; alternatively, India makes a wonderful base for the USN (though that would be somewhat of an Allied fantasy in real life). Conversely, the Axis will be stretching their logistics to a maximum, and it is good strategy to fight them at the ends of their logistic tether, in addition to closer in (the beaches of Portugal) later on.

I don't think I've ever commanded the Allies after a surrendered France. The only times my Allies have seen a declination of the Vichy offer on the part of the Germans I have been able to hold the river line in SW France & Toulouse (one of the ultimate fortress hexes in the game), and pretty much win the war right there......because the CW invested in the Royal Army early and often. But if I were handed this game as-is, I would be pumping as much as aid as possible into Morocco with a well-defended convoy line for as long as I could...

I love that thought that Russia will be hamstrung in reinforcing Persia out of desire to hold the pact totals in eastern Europe. Same problem for the Axis (hint: the USSR should be able to exploit this via the use of classical strategic interior lines and the super-mobility of how they base their bombers)......and many say the Pact rules make the WiF:FE rules irretrievably broken, although I am not a fan of an otherwise un-distracted Germany not being able to DoW in the summer of 41 - i.e. I think the rule is good but just slightly tilted towards the USSR a bit too much.

In general, my favorite Axis grand strategy has slowly become not one of knocking Russia or the UK out of the war, but insuring that the Axis control all of the oil in the Middle East for enough turns that their build-up will be big enough to withstand the US Army in Europe and Navy in the Pacific. All too often, the Allies play right into this by focusing on the Ukraine, the shores of western Europe, and the economic desert of the Central Pacific.
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

(hint: rush something to Kuwait before the Iraqis sign up with Il Duce).

The Iraqis already did sign up with Il Duce . . . and the Iraqi CAV set up within range to take Kuwait on its first land move.
But if I were handed this game as-is, I would be pumping as much as aid as possible into Morocco with a well-defended convoy line for as long as I could...

Steve might prefer I didn't admit this, but there has actually been a snag recently in getting Build Points from the CW or USA to the French. So, unless I work with some very creative work-arounds (which I could do), France can't produce anything at the moment because she can't get any BP from her allies.
-Lazarus Long, RAH
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

oh and I just looked up what turn it is...the beginning of S/O 40....a few high weather rolls (which will be key, as they often are in S/O turns) and Bilbao just might hold out till the next summer.....the Allies have more irons in this world afire than it might first appear...
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

anyhow, posts from games-in-progress are always so visually appealing that they get me energized to fire up one of my very slow-motion solitaire games using CyberBoard. I really wish I could just buy this game right now, as-is. All it would need would be an 'override' option allowing players to fix things up after mutual agreement (and then be able to use any House Rules they want). I've been thinking for a while that making a 100.00% bug-free version might be too difficult....the paper game rules currently aren't and probably will never be bug-free, because every possible game situation and rules interaction haven't been discovered yet. just my latest thoughts after all these years. carry on.
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

For those who were curious, here's what the Nazi-Soviet Pact looks like:
-----
The USSR needs 106 more Garrison points, and Germany needs 89.5 more. Nobody is going to be breaking this any time soon.
Attachments
Pacts.jpg
Pacts.jpg (379.12 KiB) Viewed 395 times
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

I think that it is first priority for the Germans to conquer Spain. This isn't going to be easy, since bad weather might be there soon. I don't know what's under the Spanish MECH, but if it is a nice unit, you are probably looking at a bloody fight. The southern units should continue towards Gibraltar. I don't think you've got enough units left for Portugal yet. You have to prevent CW units entering Spain from Gibraltar to delay you're moves towards Gibraltar.
Portugal can wait a turn or two, but shouldn't be forgotten. Rabat is now also a very important city to capture (since it the capital of France...).
I also noticed that Sudan is Italian controlled. This is nice, since it gives when Caïro is captured a supply path towards Italy from Italian East Africa. It might therefore be a good plan to try to put pressure on South Africa in 1941...
Peter
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

it is fun to run around in Central Africa with some Axis Territorial units, for sure, but without a rail link, Euro-Axis pressure on South Africa can only come by sea, and this makes it more likely to be a Japanese land operation, though an Italian task-force can aid this immensely to cover for the IJN during a Japanese land impulse (Yes, I like Japanese operations in the Indian Ocean). An Italian attack on South Africa was my grand strategic plan in my very first game of World in Flames way back in the 3rd edition. I was handed Italy, and on the first turn I laid down a Transport. My plan never got any farther than that, buried under an avalanche of newbie mistakes.

I noticed that too in the world hex-control map though. This allows out-of-supply Italian units, such as the INF that starts there, to re-organize after moving while oos, as soon as Sudan is conquered, without needing Egypt at all actually. In this game, the Italians already have Kenya it appears......some would say any Italian TERR builds are a waste of BPs; I would disagree in some games, and only for one of them at the most and more so with the 2008 optional rule of allowing choice of TERR being constructed in exchange for an extra turn of build-time.

Back to this game...it is unfortunate that the Allies appear to have lost all ports on the Red Sea....I would fix that.
Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

I think that it is first priority for the Germans to conquer Spain. This isn't going to be easy, since bad weather might be there soon. I don't know what's under the Spanish MECH, but if it is a nice unit, you are probably looking at a bloody fight. The southern units should continue towards Gibraltar. I don't think you've got enough units left for Portugal yet. You have to prevent CW units entering Spain from Gibraltar to delay you're moves towards Gibraltar.
Portugal can wait a turn or two, but shouldn't be forgotten. Rabat is now also a very important city to capture (since it the capital of France...).
I also noticed that Sudan is Italian controlled. This is nice, since it gives when Caïro is captured a supply path towards Italy from Italian East Africa. It might therefore be a good plan to try to put pressure on South Africa in 1941...
The total defense factors in Bilbao = 20

Plus, the CW rebased a few LND there, though they don't help all that much. However, using an O-chit, Germany can get about 100 factors against it (They just cleaned up the 3-1 GARR and now surround the city). Praying for good weather for Germany next impulse.

Because I screwed up the CW builds, everything they can get into the Gibraltar area is already at sea and about to land. This means that Gibraltar will, in fact, have a good enough defense to survive a few attacks, at least. Therefore, Japan is going to DOW Portugal next impulse (already has units at sea to take East Timor), which should let Germany attack it, too (unless I align it to China, which I suppose I could, but would the Allies do that in a real game?) Perhaps Germany will have to DOW also to prevent that.

Anyway, Germany can roll over Portugal, and there's nothing the Allies can do about it. Once that is secure, I'll return those units south. The CW can't do much to reinforce Spain, really.
-----
Edit: Besides, I just realized I need to get my PARA and ATR down there before I try for an attack on Gibraltar. That means a rail move and a rebase, so I probably can't take it this turn, anyway.
-Lazarus Long, RAH

Return to “World in Flames”