So how is this game ?

Armada 2526 continues the great tradition of space opera games. You guide your race from its first interstellar journeys, until it becomes a mighty galactic empire. Along the way, you'll explore the galaxy, conduct research, diplomacy and trade, found new colonies, maneuver mighty star fleets, and fight epic battles.

Moderator: MOD_Armada2526

Bozz

So how is this game ?

Post by Bozz »

First sorry for my english i'm french.

I just wanted to ask some questions before I buy the game

I was wondering if this game really is good, I saw some people saying that it's even better than moo2 (that would be amazing)

is the AI good ? (it's the most important think for me)

and should I buy the expansion supernova, is it standalone or do I need to buy expansion + the main game ?

for now I was playing distant world but the AI really isn't good, and Sword of the stars...

thanks !!!
martok

RE: So how is this game ?

Post by martok »

ORIGINAL: Bozz

First sorry for my english i'm french.

No worries, man. Your English is just fine. [:)]

I was wondering if this game really is good, I saw some people saying that it's even better than moo2 (that would be amazing)

Yes, it's an excellent game. Birth of the Federation has been my favorite 4x title for 12 years now, and it wasn't until Armada 2526 came out that I finally found another game to be its equal (if not superior).

is the AI good ? (it's the most important think for me)

Yes, the AI is very good -- one of the best I've ever seen in a PC strategy game, in fact.

It's ultimately still no match for a good human player, of course, but it's still generally quite competent (which is more than can be said for the AI in most games). And for us "merely average" players (and I am certainly one of them!), the AI generally gives you a good run for your money.

and should I buy the expansion supernova, is it standalone or do I need to buy expansion + the main game ?

Definitely get the Supernova expansion. You'll need to also purchase the main game as well, but it's well worth it. Supernova adds so much more to the original game, that I honestly can't imagine playing without it anymore!

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

Anguille

Post by Anguille »

As Martok says...get Armada 2526 with the Supernova expansion....currentely the best 4x game on the market. However, you won't be able to design your ships unlike in MOO2.
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

To be honest, and, of course, this is only my opinion, this isn't the best 4x game on the market right now but it certainly is an attractive one. I've been playing it for a month or two and it is quite fun and I can recommend it to any space strategy gamer. Definitely worth the money. Not as complex as some other games and perhaps that is where its true beauty lies. It isn't difficult to get into and understand how the game works. Doesn't mean it is a simple one though. Ship design would make it a winner. Don't play without supernova.

Have fun.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I'm enjoying the game so far. The simplicity and ability to come to grasp with what is going on, or what I "think" is going on makes the game playable and approachable without having to read hundreds of pages to play.

Of course Martok and Anguille have helped a lot too. [:D]
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Unless you want a really dumbed-down Distant World, I can't see you happy with Armada/Supernova. I have all the games, so that's just my opinion.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I have DW, and there are many times I just don't feel like booting it up, but do want some 4x game play. I'm still learning DW. I was up and playing in no time with Armada. Just depends on my mood. When I prefer combat I boot up Sword of the Stars. I think all the 4x games have a place and time.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Blueberry

Post by Blueberry »

DW vs Armada is on old topic that has been discussed hundreds of times. Two very different games not to be easilty compared meant for the same genre of 4x space strategy gaming. Apples and organges. DW is my favorite no doubt about it. I can't touch skyrim after DW legends' release. But Armada has its own charm, style and gameplay pace. Nowadays, most people have so little time to spare on gaming. In order to satisfy their 4x needs without spending too much time on it, they go for the likes of Armada. DW demands a considerable amount of time allocated to it to understand and discover its true potential. Armada, on the other hand, lets you in right away.[;)]
martok

Post by martok »

@Blueberry:  I'd say that's fairly accurate -- both your comparison of the two games (Armada 2526/Supernova and Distant Worlds), and your description of Armada's charm & appeal.  I really like both, but Armada is just so much easier to pick up and play (and without being shallow), whereas I feel like I have to set aside a certain amount of time to sit down and really play DW. 

Still, they're both excellent 4x titles.  "Apples & oranges", as you said.  [:)] 

@sabre1:  Glad you're enjoying it so far!  So are you ready for a PBEM campaign, yet?  [:D] 

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Just a "little" more play time my friend. Give me the weekend, and I send you a PM to see if you are still interested.
martok

Post by martok »

Marvelous; I look forward to it (getting my butt kicked, that is).  [:)] 

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I got this game when the Matrix Sale was announced. I was going to get some others, but I have been playing this game almost continuously for the last 24 days.

I am not kidding, I play every chance I get. I love games where production and research are vital and this fills that bill. A friend bought it on my recommendation, and we sometimes play with the phone on speaker, listening to our comments. I suspect I will play less in the future, and I hear there is a holiday coming up, but for now it is all campaigning!

Chuck
martok

Post by martok »

Ah good, another adherent.  [;)]  

So who's your favorite race(s), cpdeyoung?  (If you can't pick just one, I understand; I have at least half a dozen that enjoy playing regularly!) 

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Martok,

PM sent.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Martok,

Ah, there is only one choice, the obedient, respectful, diligent Hoon Yon!

I am 540 turns into a 2,000 turn campaign and am in 4th place of 4 races, but am confident of eventual victory. I can build colonies in profusion, without having to worry about bureaucracy! I currently have about 100 more colonies than anyone else. The other races, random, are Jellutions, Humans, and A.R.O.M. No very aggressive races, so we have only had 75 battles in 540 turns. I have won 50 of them, and expect the Humans will be the most aggressive opponent. The Jelly Fish have some impressive defenses, and I have only fought them once to push 4 armored assault craft and 8 assault craft from a colony of mine. I have not fought Monkeys yet, and have been warring with the Tin Men. Other than sneaking in behind me to recapture a colony, which no longer is so easy, they have shown little concern with my aggression. I do notice massive deficit spending on their part however.

My second favorite race is the Klurgu.

Chuck

PS : Jellutions were great neighbors, and generous in sharing tech, and trade.
PPS : Supernova.
martok

Post by martok »

@sabre1:  Acknowledged!  I should be getting back to you later today. 

@cpdeyoung:  Looks like you've got a good game going there.  The Human Union does seem to be a bid more....energetic, in my experience, but I wouldn't discount the Jellies or the AROM just yet!  The Borg-wannabe's, in particular, have surprised me in the past with unexpected military advances into my territory.  

The Hoon Yon are one of my favorite races as well, and are in fact probably my #1 choice overall.  The Jellutions, Xepectrada, Walden Forest, and (increasingly) the newly-introduced Volmar see a lot of play time from me as well, but I seem to have the largest affection for those sentient mechanical critters! 

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

If I'm not colonizing fast enough, and my population is growing to fast do I raise taxes to control them?
martok

Post by martok »

Wow, your population is growing too fast?  Tell me, what's that like?  (Honestly, I almost never have that problem until later on.)  [:'(] 

Anyway:  Yes, raising taxes is one of the things you can do to lower growth.  The problem there, however, is that you can only keep taxes high for so long before you start to deal with serious Popularity problems....which in turn affects a colony's Security rating....which itself determines how likely the people are to riot/rebel. 

Really, though, just about anything that lowers Happiness will do.  Building/upgrading Mines is often a good choice, as this will increase Pollution (and lower Happiness), while at the same time increasing your income and lowering your productions costs. 

Another trick is to colonize some not-so-nice planets (Barren, Icy, Dead, etc.) if you have the technology, as their growth rates are usually low (except for a few select races).  So you can transfer your "excess" population there, secure in the knowledge that once on the new, less pleasant colony, they won't reproduce quite so quickly!  Note:  It helps to have extra transports on hand for these types of situations. 

sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

My population on my colonies was growing faster than I was colonizing. I was paying attention to income staying positvie and not focusing on pop. growth. Oh well, I'm in the learning phase.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Martok and sabre1,

That is certainly not my problem . I have an average of 22.775 pop factors per colony, with many, many colonies at 3 or less, and far too many at 1. I have many transports on auto-distribute, and some I manage myself, but with 281 colonies (turn 571) distributing population is cumbersome. The Hoon Yon are not big breeders either.

I am growing at a rate of 3 or 4 colonies per turn. Hoons cannot populate all these, and I have no aliens in my population.

Chuck

Return to “Armada 2526 Series”