PNG Tile Issues

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Curtis Lemay

PNG Tile Issues

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Attached are shots of all the PNG tiles compared to all the BMP tiles. As earlier threads have noted, not everyone is using the new PNG tiles. Part of this could just be due to old habits, but clearly, some of it is due to issues with those tiles. Since the new tiles have a dedicated huge view that the old tiles lack, it would be useful if we could identify any of those issues that are correctable. This will be especially important once we start work on 4.0, since the BMP tiles are owned by Take-Two, and most likely will have to be left out of the product (although hooks may be provided for users that already possess them).

I think that most of those issues can be traced to the muted color choices the PNG tiles exhibit. This had been an intentional choice, for artistic purposes. But practice has seemed to show that it often resulted in poor differentiation between terrain features. Fortunately, color shifting is not too difficult to do – so some improvement should be doable, once identified. Here I’m going to list the issues that concern me. In general, I’d like the colors to be shifted closer to the colors of the BMP tiles. I encourage others to list any specific issues they have as well.

1. To me, the most egregious issue is the color of Deep-Water tiles. It’s very hard to tell them apart from Shallow-Water tiles. They have to be made a deeper blue.
2. Arid tiles are way too light and hard to distinguish from Sand tiles. They need to be color shifted closer to the color of the original Arid tiles.
3. Dunes are hard to see. I don’t know if color shifting can help but it could be tried.
4. Badlands are hard to distinguish from Rocky. They need to be color shifted closer to the originals.
5. Hills can be confused with Mud. They also need to be color shifted closer to the originals.
6. Alpine is too similar to Mountain. I’m not sure if color shifting can fix this, but it could be tried.
7. Marsh and even Flooded Marsh need more blue in order to distinguish them from the various Forest tiles.
8. The various Forest tiles need richer and more distinct green shades each so that they can be distinguished from each other.
9. Wadis need to be color shifted closer to the original.
10. Roads can’t be seen against Sand or Arid. Perhaps color shifting can fix this.
11. Bocage needs to be more mottled (mix of green and brown) – to distinguish it from the various Forest tiles. That might even be beneficial for Cropland as well.
12. The distinction between Fortified Terrain and Major and Minor Escarpments could be increased a little more by more color shifting.
13. Entrenchment Levels are too dim in some terrain. Color-shift closer to the original colors.
14. Major Rivers/Canals need a deeper blue.
15. It’s just me, but I find the Peak symbol too cartoonish. Same for the various Clouds.
16. Ownership lines no longer reflect the color of the Red and Blue sides – probably to accommodate the change in the Border color. That Border is too similar to Broken Rail tiles.
17. I just prefer the original Blown Bridge tiles. I think they’re easier to spot – especially since red lines are used for other features.

Attachments
PngTiles.jpg
PngTiles.jpg (239.74 KiB) Viewed 99 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

RE: PNG Tile Issues

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Here are the equivalent BMP tiles.

Attachments
BMPtiles.jpg
BMPtiles.jpg (245.73 KiB) Viewed 105 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

I don't share most of your points, but maybe you find some of these useful:

http://thetoawbeachhead.wordpress.com/t ... ic-mod-ii/
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

When the png's were released I tried using them, but after several turns I decided that there was no benefit to them so no reason to learn them, so I switched back to the bmp's. If we are losing the bmp's for 4.0 then we that still use the bmp's will have to learn the png's. It would be nice if they resembled the bmps a little more, either by content or shading/color.
TPOO

Post by TPOO »

I have started to use the PNG files recently to see if I could get use to them and the answer is yes. I agree with most of the points that you have laid out and thing that would be a major improvement. Saying that, I could live with the tiles as they are now except for the mountain tile. That is the one tile color I find absolutely hideous. That tile and the Alpine tile like you laid out need to be closer in color to the originals, if possible.
BillLottJr

Post by BillLottJr »

ORIGINAL: TPOO

I have started to use the PNG files recently to see if I could get use to them and the answer is yes. I agree with most of the points that you have laid out and thing that would be a major improvement. Saying that, I could live with the tiles as they are now except for the mountain tile. That is the one tile color I find absolutely hideous. That tile and the Alpine tile like you laid out need to be closer in color to the originals, if possible.

The shadowing in the PNG mountains is also backwards, which is disconcerting.
Romani ite domum!
lentulus

Post by lentulus »

Pure newbie question - where do I get and how do I install those tiles?  The manual is unhelpful on the matter.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: lentulus

Pure newbie question - where do I get and how do I install those tiles?  The manual is unhelpful on the matter.

The .png tiles come with the 3.4 update. There is a player option to turn them on or off. See the "What's New.pdf".
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “Scenario Design”