Creature Contest: "Silvermist"

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

WiZz

Creature Contest: "Silvermist"

Post by WiZz »

[center]Silvermist (Nanocloud)[/center]

Description: such poetic name was given by human explorers which discovered this threat and became its first victims.
Silvermist is the cloud of the microscopic nanomachines that have only one goal – kill and consume all organic life in the galaxy. Nobody knows who created this plague. Is it an ultimate weapon of the ancient race? Or is it a cure against deadly disease? Who knows…

[center]Creature in game[/center]

Silvermist can be found on the barren planets with ruins or ancient science stations. In the beginning of the game all nanomachines are inactive. When scout visit object with Silvermist infestation nanomachines awake and destroy explorer ship if they catch it.
Nanocloud is very adaptive and has extremely resistance against all types of weapon (they can absorb ~90% of damage) except an ion cannon. Ion cannon can turn off the nanomachines and damage from ion cannon slows Silvermist.
A single ship is an easy victim for this creature. When the ship begins to fire nanocloud quickly approach to the ship and cover it. The nanomachines disable all ship systems and begin consume it. Nanocloud can restore hitpoints using ship materials. When Nanocloud eats the ship entirely it grows. And its hitpoints grow too like other space creatures. When its hitpoints reach certain value silvermist can divide in 2 new Nanoclouds (like a bacteria).
Nanocloud can move between the stars using hyperspace but very slowly (~4000-6000). Unfortunately it is invisible for simple sensors only advanced sensors can see it at the long distances. When Nanocloud reach the colony it infects entire population very fast. There is no cure against it so you lose colony in any case. The planet with Silvermist infestation becomes unsuitable for next colonization (the planet becomes zero quality). The consuming of the colony creates a few new Silvermist that go to the new sources of the organic materials.

P.S Unfortunately I don’t have enough talent to create art for this creatures but I think it maybe looks like this (shot from the film The Day the Earth Stood Still (2011))

[center]Image[/center]

P.S.S Sorry for some mistakes in the text. English is not my native language. If you have question about my creature I will try to answer and explain as I can.
Attachments
19023136.j..9_013718.jpg
19023136.j..9_013718.jpg (60.45 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Webbco

RE: Creature Contest: "Silvermist"

Post by Webbco »

Shneaky last minute creature....but what a good one! [;)] Oh and welcome to the forums WiZz, I like the idea of making the ion weapons have another purpose.

If a nanocloud gets onto a planet, what can the population do to destroy it? Is it just ion cannons on ships that can remove the "infection"?

Edit: It's shneaky for me anyway - it's almost midnight here in the UK and just a few mins to go until the deadline for the contest!
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

If a nanocloud gets onto a planet, what can the population do to destroy it? Is it just ion cannons on ships that can remove the "infection"?

I thought about it. Maybe it will be better that player has a chance to save a planet. I had another idea for Silvermist infestation. Nanocloud infects a part of the population and then they rebel against troops which loyal to the player. If the loyal troops fall in the battle then Nanocloud kills entire population.
Ilita

Post by Ilita »

Don't you think it's too hard to spot and identify? Currently fog of war looks like "mist" :)
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

Thats how i visualize it [:D]

WiZz

Post by WiZz »

Great picture! Thanks

My creature can be found in many places. I think the creators of Silvermist worked with the nanotechnologies not only in one place, right?
When Silvermist had awaken it begins to travel between the stars consuming materials (not only organic) and reproducing itself. If players don't get situation under their control, Silvermist can become a great danger for entire galaxy. 

2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

It reminds me to the the Greenfly threat in the book of  Alastair Reynolds
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

I want to add some new information about my creature[:)]

Intelligence report about an origin of Silvermists.
Firstly, we suggest that Nanocloud was an ultimate weapon of the ancient race. We were right. There is no malfunctions in the firmware of the nanomachines. They were created as a weapon, they aren't unsuccessful experiment in medicine or heavy industry. Secondary, we found similarity of Silvermist technology with technology of Ancient Guardians. Silvermist never attacks stations or ships of Ancient Guardians and when their ships come close to the Nanocloud, it became inactive and can be easily annihilate.
Thirdly, Shakturi ships, colonies and stations have same immunity for Nanoclouds like Ancient Guardians. Was Silvermist first try to stop Shakturi invasion but unsuccessful? Nobody knows. Ancient Guardians and Shakturi are silence and other races got a giant problem...
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Let me be the first to congratulate you WiZz! [;)]
Job well done!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

Yeah, this idea sounds promising, it might even win!
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

[:D] Congratulations  Wizz !!!
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

О_О...
Webbco

Post by Webbco »

Haha, your creature post was your first post on the forums, just hours away from the deadline...AND YOU WON!! You must be pleased [8D]
WiZz

Post by WiZz »

You never can imagine how much [:D]
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Grats.

I did not read most of the entries of the creature contest, but what I like about this one is that it kicks some life into ion weapons. Something that has always been "add a couple of weapons and a couple of defenses" to me. Something I have given extremely little thought.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

It really is a cool idea!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Igard

Post by Igard »

Congrats, WiZz. This looks awesome! Great idea and I can't wait to get my bottom kicked by this thing! [:D]
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Igard
Congrats, WiZz. This looks awesome! Great idea and I can't wait to get my bottom kicked by this thing! [:D]

Exactly... the Shakturi will not be taking over the universe... this thing will!
Evil Steve

Post by Evil Steve »

well done WiZz[:)]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”