Theory on Expanding the Red Air Force

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Mike13z50

Theory on Expanding the Red Air Force

Post by Mike13z50 »

I haven’t tried this yet, wanted to see what others thought first.

Instead of converting obsolete aircraft with new production, convert new production squadrons to obsolete equipment and let them train for months.

If I’m reading section 8.1.4.4 correctly up to FIVE new Air groups will be created when the ratio of aircraft in the production pools is very large compared to the number of air groups flying the aircraft.
I believe it only works with aircraft in active production—because I don’t see a bunch of I-15 regiments being created when there are over a thousand in the pool and no groups.
So, instead of maximizing the number of squadrons with modern aircraft--minimize them. Have nothing but I-15/I-16 and SU and SB squadrons, leave the new stuff in the pool. Once the MIG3 stops producing, and you can field all of them.
New airbases are also created when the total groups>6 times existing number of airbases. (18.1.5)

Admittedly the Red Air Force will be even lower quality, but should have lots of plenty of quantity.

What do you think?

--------------------------
18.1.4. Creating New Soviet Air Group Units
New Soviet air group units (aviation regimental sized) are automatically created by the computer based on the size of the production pool. The computer compares the production pool of a particular aircraft versus the number of air group units using the aircraft type. If it determines that there are more than sufficient aircraft to meet the needs of the current air group units, than additional air group units will be formed. Up to five new air group units may be formed per turn. The new air group units are initially attached to the Soviet National Air Reserve.
8.1.4.3. Soviet Air Group Unit Designation Changes
Soviet Air Battalion air group units (with "/" in the name) can be re-designated as air regiments (10% probability)

8.1.2.3. Soviet Air Regiment Maximum Size Changes <Reason not to disband 10 plane group>

The maximum number of aircraft allowed in Soviet Air Regiment (Polk) air group units will change over time as follows:
June 1941: All Air regiments maximum is 40 aircraft
July 1941: All Air regiments maximum is 20 aircraft
December 1942: All Air regiments maximum size is 32 aircraft
December 1943: Fighter/Fighter bomber/Tactical bomber air regiments maximum size is 40 aircraft
All other Air regiments maximum size is 32 aircraft

18.1.5. Creating New Soviet Air Base Units
Whenever the number of Soviet air group units exceeds the number of Soviet air base units by a ratio of more than six to one, up to one new air base unit will be automatically created per turn.
carlkay58

RE: Theory on Expanding the Red Air Force

Post by carlkay58 »

One comment, on another recent thread, a developer stated that the air groups in the NR ARE not counted in triggering new airbase units. I don't think that will have much effect on your strategy though. Try it out and let us know how it works!
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

5 new groups created isn't really that many.. The groups that do get created are low on experience and take a good while to build up. I believe in using the VVS throughout 1941 so here is what I do

- All heavily damaged regiments and air units size 10 go to national reserve after turn 1.
- All other air gets distributed along the front
- All modern aircraft types are taken off automatic aircraft change
- All obsolete aircaft stay on automatic aircraft change

If I have 2 or 3 AP left at the end of a turn a exchange a few air units for mostly modern (Yak 1) fighters and put them on manual to prevent a switch back.

You will still have enough aircraft to get new groups formed, probably mostly LAGG3 units. As soon as you run low on obsolete fighters they will start getting exchanged for newer aircraft types free of AP cost.

This way you can have a fairly large VVS, backboned by modern aircraft types instead of a bunch of modern airplanes in reserve while PG 1 through 4 gets supplied through the sky.
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Mike13z50

Post by Mike13z50 »

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

5 new groups created isn't really that many.

I just bought the game last month, have been away from war gaming for a couple of years but played the previous three incarnations of Grigsby's Russian front games extensively. I remember having thousands of airframes in reserve by 43/44.

If you can generate 110 extra airgroups per year at 40-48 planes per group, that puts and extra 4000 planes in the air.

I started replacing all new model low experience groups with obsolete models last night, and generated two new Hurricane and two new Yak 7 groups. Once they get up to >50 experience turn them back into modern fighters. Bonus--the I-15 has a reliability of 5, so less crashes while training.
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

You wont get 110 airgroups at 40 planes a group, you get size 20 regiments. I believe your national reserve groups fly for training purposes as well but easily take replacements so you don't really notice.

Also, more often then not, you get recon regiments, transport regiments, nightbomber regiments (unless you deal with the factories producing the nightbombers)..

Spending APs to downgrade your modern fighters is a waste IMHO.. But thats just me..
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

I leave the I series on manual, as I'd rather burn up the pools.

I use them as often as I can. Sure, they get pounded, but I'm trading obsolete Russian planes for front line Axis ones.

The ratio isn't favorable, but you can't unbuild them, so what the hey.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Mike13z50

Post by Mike13z50 »

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

You wont get 110 airgroups at 40 planes a group, you get size 20 regiments. I believe your national reserve groups fly for training purposes as well but easily take replacements so you don't really notice.

Also, more often then not, you get recon regiments, transport regiments, nightbomber regiments (unless you deal with the factories producing the nightbombers)..

Spending APs to downgrade your modern fighters is a waste IMHO.. But thats just me..

Strength 10 air battalions have 10% per turn to become 20 strength regiments.
Rule 8.1.4.3. Soviet Air Group Unit Designation Changes
Soviet Air Battalion air group units (with "/" in the name) can be re-designated as air regiments (10% probability)

Your 20s become 32s in Dec42 and Fighter/Tac regiment become 40s in Dec43.
Of course I just got to March42 in my first game, so maybe they don't or maybe no one plays into 43-45. It seems all the AAR's end either with a successful German summer campaign, or the German player quits in Summer 42. I guess I'll find out.

Rule 8.1.2.3
The maximum number of aircraft allowed in Soviet Air Regiment (Polk) air group units will change over time as follows:
June 1941: All Air regiments maximum is 40 aircraft
July 1941: All Air regiments maximum is 20 aircraft
December 1942: All Air regiments maximum size is 32 aircraft
December 1943: Fighter/Fighter bomber/Tactical bomber air regiments maximum size is 40 aircraft
All other Air regiments maximum size is 32 aircraft

Return to “The War Room”