Creature Contest : The esreveR – The creature living backward

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

flap

Creature Contest : The esreveR – The creature living backward

Post by flap »

The esrever – The creatures living backward.

”Pfff. The esrever ? That's just a bunch of large space worms, is it ?”
”Almost captain. They do indeed like eating our ships and space stations. But they also live backward, which makes them rather difficult to tackle.”
”Oh.”

Yep. That's exactly what they are : just bunch of large space worms, eating ships and living backward. And yes, it makes them rather difficult to tackle.
They usually lay eggs in planets very close to the stars. And these eggs tend to be released when these planets are being colonised, freeing tens of creatures craving for good old metal from spaceships and space stations. They are able to fly between stars. Some will aim directly at the planet which has sent the colony ship. Some others will wander at random and attack the closest ships. Nothing too exceptional you would say. Except that they do it backward in time (The die first, then live, then get born ...)

What you could see from a first esrever encounter is an implosion, and then kind of giant spaceworm emerging from it and flying backward. You might also see one of your ship firing toward the center of the implosion, or that implosion centered on one of your ship, and then that ship exploding while the worm emerges backward out of it. And that's because it the way esrever die to our eyes : you see first what remains from them, and then their last few moments.

Fighting esrever is not an easy task, because you need to blow them up before seeing them coming... But it is not impossible : if you meet one, it means that 10 or 20 other are flying around, and that they all come from the same area. So following it will bring you straight toward its nest. On the way, bring enough ships with you to scout the neighbouring planets and shoot at any implosion you see !
But don't be silly : keep your distance and don't even try to shoot one that you know was alive 10 minutes ago. Because they live backward. So if you saw it in the past, it means that it will survive any missiles or laser beams that you might throw at it in the future ! Fighting with it is hopeless and suicidal.

Following it to its orgin will bring you to a planet crowded with esrever looking like they fly backward into it, while a colony ship is landing. And then, no more esrever. Congratulation : you have just witnessed the hatching of a esrever colony. It also means that this threat is over for you... Except that you know that one day, a huge mother will come to lay these eggs. And that whatever you do, you won't be able to stop it to happen...

Now to the technical point of view :
At first glance, it might look impossible to code. But it should actually be pretty easy (with a bit of cheating, I reckon):

Starting the event : the event is started when the order is given to send a colony ship to planet which has (well, had...) the eggs. The time to reach the planet and colonize it is calculated. From now, whatever happens, this colony ship WILL colonize the planet at the estimated time (that's where ther is a bit of cheating...) : it will not be destroyed, it will not be slowed down by damages, and if now fuel shortage has been calculated, it won't have any shortage.

Generating the esrever : taking into account the speed of the esrever, the distance from the planet and time left before colonisation, random esrever should be created, the way I described in the text : there is an implosion, either with a ship shooting at its center, either with a ships in the center then exploding ; and an esrever emerges from the implosion.

Life of the esrever :
From this moment, the esrever is invulnarable and will look like it is flying backward toward to planet to be colonised, wreaking havoc on its path (For more fun, make sure that it has not been generated at the max distance from the planet, given its speed, time left and distance. So it has enough freedom to destroy a few things on its way...).

Player/AI action and when creating esrever : Dealing with the player/AI, and choosing when to generate the esrever, is slightly more complicated and requires some approximations. Because the earlier (in normal time) the esrever are generated (and thus killed), the longer they would have lived and caused damages. The trick would be that the biggest number the player/AI devotes fighting against these creatures, the latest they will be generated (because he would have been more efficient at destroying them early in their life).

For more refinement in esrever generation, the distance of the mobilized ships should be taken in account (will they manage to be in the area of the esrever soon enough to take part of hunt ?). Depending on the number of ship expected to be at the planet at the colonisation, you could define the proportion of esrever surviving this moment. And so on in concentric circles growing in the planet and going backward in time.

For even more refinement in geographical generation, at the creation of the event, a number of esrever could be attribuated to different quadrants (such as ”between 0° and 60°” centered on the colonised planet), and the calculation to know how late they will be destroyed/generated depends on the number of mobilized ships and time that they could arrive in that area.

Avoiding cheating : To avoid cheating (mobilising plenty of ships to delay the generation of the creature, and then changing their mission for something else), a ship dedicated to that hunt should be not allowed to change activity until the colonisation.

Later, I might post some illustrations for the technical side.
flap

RE: Creature Contest : The esrever – The creature living backward

Post by flap »

Ha ! I was (and still am) so proud of my idea... But it seems that I will win the palm of the least popular one. [8|]
That's quite an achievement though !

Well, I still plan to take the time for drawing some technical schemes before the end of the contest...
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

I don't think it's least popular idea. It's just quite... different.
Also, If I remember correctly, there was some silly flamewar going on some time ago and this went unnoticed because of it.
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

ORIGINAL: flap

Ha ! I was (and still am) so proud of my idea... But it seems that I will win the palm of the least popular one. [8|]
That's quite an achievement though !

Well, I still plan to take the time for drawing some technical schemes before the end of the contest...
It's not up to us to decide who's creature best fits the game. Do not lose hope man ;]
I personally like the 'they lay eggs on unhabited planets and start to feed when colony is set up" part. Man I would love to see the guy who landed his colonyship just seconds before me have his new settlement chewed up right in front of my eyes. :P
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

I can imagine the people on the planet...

Ow my god a gigantic ass is flying toward us [:D].

Data

Post by Data »

Ow my god a gigantic ass is flying toward us

ROFL that's an image that is both scary and paradoxical [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
flap

Post by flap »

Remember, it is behaving backward !
So it would actually look like a gigantic space cloaca coming to the planet, swallowing those weird and giant egg shaped things (legends say that a few thousands years ago, terrible monsters appeared from nowhere and went to sleep in these).
And after having undone the huge holes the eggs were in, it flies away.
2guncohen

Post by 2guncohen »

So to kill a Esrever you have to find the point of origin ( the egg) and destroy it in the cradle ?
flap

Post by flap »

Hmm, well that is one solution. Keeping in mind that they will go out of the cradle AFTER they would have died, and destroyed everything (really think of a movie played backward in the middle of one played in the normal direction).

So the trick is to make the game believe that you will attack the "cradle" with full force just when the esreveR will emerge from their eggs, or some time before ; so the creatures will be generated as late as possible and have very little time to wreak havoc.

The game will check that the player's forces heading to the planet will arrive on time. But if at any time it seems impossible that these ships will make it (for example the player diverts them to another destination), the esreveR could be generated/killed right at this moment, starting a huge fight with that fleet.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Although confusing and entropically most improbable, very creative idea. [:)]

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”