Board games v Computer games

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sterckxe

RE: Board games v Computer games

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
Does anyone know any good board wargame that follows the up to two levels down rule?

No Retreat - The Russian Front

But I guess you mean on the tactical/operational level - in which case the following games come to mind :

Decision at Kasserine - one of the first wargames that really felt like you were Rommel - it had combined arms and the only negative point was that in bad lighting the green and blue counter colors tended to look the same.

Dawn's Early Light - Russians vs Nato in the Eisenbach gap.

Of course, but I guess you know this already, the very best game for this is not a boardgame, but Panther Games' Battles from the Bulge

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Thanks for the info.

Here in Poland we only monster games with about 150-250 counters per side, which kinda put me off from getting into the hobby.
Which kinda sucks as a game like this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66985/polska-1939

Or this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29627/grunwald-1410

Or this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/93353/borodino-1812

Costs 55PLN (16$), which would be pretty affordable to me. *sigh*
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I have a table set up in my-"Man Cave"-all children out of the house-No Cats-baby gate for dog-and now soloing DAK2.[:D]

Five 22" x 34" maps takes more than a "man cave." I think you've have to leave the Batmobile outside to play it! (for those not familiar with the game in question, check out the map size of DAK2 compared to another game called "Rommel in the Desert")

Attachments
batcavetvseries1.jpg
batcavetvseries1.jpg (66.53 KiB) Viewed 53 times
dak2.jpg
dak2.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 53 times
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

DAK2, Tunisia (out of Print). Dak will be pricey. Go to Multiman games and take a look.

Does anyone know any good board wargame that follows the up to two levels down rule?
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I am running with 4 maps and Map E card that allows you to play it with only 4 maps. Even still its take up half the room.[:D]
ORIGINAL: E

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I have a table set up in my-"Man Cave"-all children out of the house-No Cats-baby gate for dog-and now soloing DAK2.[:D]

Five 22" x 34" maps takes more than a "man cave." I think you've have to leave the Batmobile outside to play it! (for those not familiar with the game in question, check out the map size of DAK2 compared to another game called "Rommel in the Desert")

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

jomni

Post by jomni »

What do you mean by two levels down?

Well we have "Fields of Fire".
Company commander draws Command Points to activate Platoon Commanders, XO, 1st SGT and those support units directly attached to him. Then Platoon Commanders that are activated gets to draw Command Points to command their squads. XO, and 1st SGT to directly command lower units as well. Unactivated commanders will get an intiative draw (with penalty... less points). So lowest level of units cannot act on their own unless commanded by a commander. But there is a general initiative phase which gives you a few Command Points for use on any unit. This simulates the squad SGTs doing what they're trained to do. Actually the squads can even be split into fireteam and assault team.

Game is very good if you can handle confusing rules and lots of book keeping. It is solitaire by the way. Check it out at GMT games.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Sorry Perturabo I misunderstood myself.
ORIGINAL: jomni

Company commander draws Command Points to activate Platoon Commanders, XO, 1st SGT and those support units directly attached to him. Then Platoon Commanders that are activated gets to draw Command Points to command their squads. XO, and 1st SGT to directly command lower units as well. Unactivated commanders will get an intiative draw (with penalty... less points). So lowest level of units cannot act on their own unless commanded by a commander. But there is a general initiative phase which gives you a few Command Points for use on any unit. This simulates the squad SGTs doing what they're trained to do. Actually the squads can even be split into fireteam and assault team.

Game is very good if you can handle confusing rules and lots of book keeping. It is solitaire by the way. Check it out at GMT games.

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Took a look at fields of fire-looks interesting and different.

Thanks for the info.

Here in Poland we only monster games with about 150-250 counters per side, which kinda put me off from getting into the hobby.
Which kinda sucks as a game like this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66985/polska-1939

Or this:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29627/grunwald-1410

Or this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/93353/borodino-1812

Costs 55PLN (16$), which would be pretty affordable to me. *sigh*

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

It means that if the basic unit is a platoon, I'm playing a battalion commander, if the basic unit is a company, I'm playing a brigade commander, if the basic unit is a division, I'm playing an army commander, etc.
It keeps the amount of units manageable - usually 10-20 units per side. The board games that are developed in Poland usually are about commanding 3+ levels down.

It looks scary.
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

It keeps the amount of units manageable - usually 10-20 units per side.

I had to chuckle a bit when I read that you called games with 200 counters or so "monster games" - this title is usually reserved for games with 2000+ counters :)

Anyway, you might want to check out Victory Point Games - they have an entire series of wargames with only a couple dozen counters in total.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
rihannajosh

RE:

Post by rihannajosh »

I like playing Axis and Allies, Risk, World of Warcraft: Board Game, Arkham Horror, etc. Any good strategy game that takes 2-3 hours to play. These games take alot to set up and learn but once you get a group of people who can play, the fun is playing together in the same room and communicating and enjoying the company of others.You just don't get that in a PC game. I love my online PC games so don't get me wrong here, but when our group get's together to play board games, it's much more fulfilling.
ilovestrategy

RE: RE:

Post by ilovestrategy »

ORIGINAL: rihannajosh

I like playing Axis and Allies, Risk, World of Warcraft: Board Game, Arkham Horror, etc. Any good strategy game that takes 2-3 hours to play. These games take alot to set up and learn but once you get a group of people who can play, the fun is playing together in the same room and communicating and enjoying the company of others.You just don't get that in a PC game. I love my online PC games so don't get me wrong here, but when our group get's together to play board games, it's much more fulfilling.

[8|]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Cyber Me

RE: RE:

Post by Cyber Me »

The best thing about boardgames is that you can play them as soon as you get home. You didn't to wait for four or five patches before you could play it. Amazing.
The only good thing about computer games is that you can find opponents world-wide and can play multiple games from one installation, this of course is if the game as multi-player features.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

I just bought DAK2 in shrink. So cool ! But will I ever play it ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: sterckxe
It keeps the amount of units manageable - usually 10-20 units per side.

I had to chuckle a bit when I read that you called games with 200 counters or so "monster games" - this title is usually reserved for games with 2000+ counters :)
Well, I was brought up on skirmish games and small scale tactical wargames, where there are 1-20 controllable units on the board - both boardgames (Melee, Death Test, The Creature That Ate Sheboygan, WarpWar, Battlefleet Gothic) and computer games (Laser Squad, X-Com, Wages of War, Close Combat). To me everything bigger is a monster game.

Anyway, you might want to check out Victory Point Games - they have an entire series of wargames with only a couple dozen counters in total.
Thanks, I'll check them out. Is this kind of games popular in the West?
sprior

Post by sprior »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

You should try, it's an excellent system and DAK, along with Tunisia, gives you relatively few counters.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I'll second that![;)]
ORIGINAL: sprior

You should try, it's an excellent system and DAK, along with Tunisia, gives you relatively few counters.

sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

Thanks, I'll check them out. Is this kind of games popular in the West?

Well, 2 years ago VPG was just Alan Emrich in his garage, now they're medium-sized and get the best of their games re-published by the big dog on the block (GMT) so I think they're doing more than ok on the sales & popularity front :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

ORIGINAL: sprior

There's a nice VASSAL module for DAK2:

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:DAK2
Government is the opiate of the masses.
E

Post by E »

I sold mine last year for 4 times what I paid for it, several years earlier. Don't break the shrinkwrap unless you are really going to play it!

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!

Return to “General Discussion”