Mods and the AI

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Oldguard1970

Mods and the AI

Post by Oldguard1970 »

I realize the motivation behind modding is to make a game for PBEM. However, If I were to modify Scenario 2 to add capacity to the Japanese side, (boosting aircraft pools and production, for example), would the standard AI for Scenario 2 be saved into the saved mod?
"Rangers Lead the Way!"
Nikademus

RE: Mods and the AI

Post by Nikademus »

as long as you import the AI files for that original scenario, yes. Depending on the scale and nature of your changes however it might confuse the AI scripts. Modding by default is not aimed at PBEM, however when you create a totally new scenario, you have to create the AI scripts for it. Some are better at that than others. I have some experience with doing it, but Andy Mac is the expert. He wrote the current AE scripts.

For example....i'm currently playing a modded version of Babes scn 29? or 28. I imported the AI files for it and am playing against the AI as Japan.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

IF you copy the scenario en toto, and just modify it, you get the AI from the stock mod as is. If you find the AI an acceptable
player - it will simply become slightly stronger if it has more to play with. It is not, however, a human opponent, and it will
not do very well compared to one. But it is probably the SOP to do exactly this - just add stuff to a base scenario - and let the
AI do what it will with the added stuff.
Misconduct

Post by Misconduct »

ORIGINAL: el cid again

IF you copy the scenario en toto, and just modify it, you get the AI from the stock mod as is. If you find the AI an acceptable
player - it will simply become slightly stronger if it has more to play with. It is not, however, a human opponent, and it will
not do very well compared to one. But it is probably the SOP to do exactly this - just add stuff to a base scenario - and let the
AI do what it will with the added stuff.

I did this with the RA mod, beefed up total production with massive stockpiles of frames and engines, by my last check it had over 2,500 A6m2/G4m/G3m/Val/Kate frames in reserve - every addition aircraft after that was 250 minimum - of course it cheats and upgraded some Airwings on carriers to A6m5's already - some A6m3s etc.

Going to run through a quick game and see just how well it fairs with its beefed up stoc.
Also I threw in a few million barrels of oil, fuel, supplies with 200PP a day given vs 50 for allied.

Only thing i am hoping - is that the AI decides to actually move some squadrons around or its going to be quite a boring game.
ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7
DD696

Post by DD696 »

Be aware that any changes made to the economics for the computer AI player in your game may not have the effect that you were hoping for. The computer AI player appears to function based upon the hard coded increase of various items, such as heavy industry. The computer AI player does not transport fuel, oil, resources and supplies as it should, which is why it's economy relies so heavily upon hard coded assistance.

I recommend that any AI player playing against Japan use tracker to monitor the economy - yeah, I know that it would be tempting to go in and look at all the other stuff but the economy is what should be monitored. If enough of us can figure out what it is doing it would be invaluable information to the AI community and mods made could possibly have more of the desired effect.
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
Oldguard1970

Post by Oldguard1970 »

What a forum!  Thanks to you all for the replies.  I checked my modded scenario and saw that the AI data had naturally been saved as well.  Whew!

I certainly agree that the game becomes exceptionally rich when played against a human.  I just have to make do with the AI for a bit longer. 

Thanks again.
"Rangers Lead the Way!"
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

In general, AI script have defined bases it uses, airgroups, LCUs and types of TFs.

That means, if you want all to work without problem, you should NOT change any of those things to something completely different (like changing fighter unit to bomber).

Otherwise, if you add new airgroups/LCUs, I think they should be added to AI, otherwise they will be purely static.

So, modifying/adding ships/planes/devices should not affect AI in any way.
Oldguard1970

Post by Oldguard1970 »

That is very helpful. Many thanks...
"Rangers Lead the Way!"
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I've used Andy's Ironman Allied as the basis for my mod.  Allied AI works great with the changes I've made.  I'm waiting for his updated AI which he is promising will be "killer".  [:D]  Can't wait.  Inquisitor's remarks are spot on ... if you make changes, be selective.  Additions on the other hand will usually be picked up by the AI and integrated seamlessly.
Pax
Andy Mac

Post by Andy Mac »

Increase the strenght of LCU' or devices is fine change aircraft types is ok as long as its an exiting aircradft

Adding ships is fine as AI will use them

AI will not do well with LCU's added (so if you are adding them make sure they arrive where you want them)
AI will not automatically change upgrade paths so if you put a new aircraft in make sure you set a few sqns rto upgrade to it

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”