Rabble?

Combat Command is Boku Strategy Games World War II operational game. strategy games played warfare on a hex playing field with turn-based game play utilizing company-sized units. Game design aspects include turn phases, combat resolution, unit design, scenarios and artificial intelligence.

Moderator: Obsolete

Javolenus

Rabble?

Post by Javolenus »

Hi There,

In the game manual it states that units designated as 'rabble' may surrender if they fail a check. That's fine, but are there any other effects associated with 'rabble'? I mean, in reality, any unit might surrender if morale drops far enough, so when designing a scenario should you designate all units as 'rabble'? Or are there other negative effects that go with the 'rabble' designation? Thanks in advance for clarification on this!
PirateJock

RE: Rabble?

Post by PirateJock »

That's the only affect I know that's associated with rabble units. Although they only take the check if adjacent to an enemy unit. I'm not sure how widely rabble is used in the scenarios; never really looked and only times I can remember seeing it is with Italian units. It could be used for increasing the chances of units surrendering but you'd need to try it out thoroughly and see how big/small an impact it has on game play. I don't think you'd want it on all units - it'd be a bit upsetting if your high quality units surrendered just because they were next to low quality enemy unit.

Cheers
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: PirateJock

Although they only take the check if adjacent to an enemy unit.

This might account for the "3 white flashes and the unit disappears" thing I have seen.

-
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

it'd be a bit upsetting if your high quality units surrendered just because they were next to low quality enemy unit.

Even more painful if it were 3 platoons worth surrendering just one.

Hell, the more I think of it, what if you had 3 rabble companies stacked in one hex and lose them all in that situation...

I never did pay much attention to the rabble case, and I almost made the mistake of assuming that rabble always surrender when forced to retreat. But IIRC that's only for resistance nests and strongpoints which have an MP = 0.
King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

Thanks for the replies. Still not sure how this will work in practice, so I'll have to experiment!

Return to “Combat Command Series”