Creature Contest: The Nimbusaur

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ehsumrell1

Creature Contest: The Nimbusaur

Post by ehsumrell1 »

What the creature is:

The Nimbusaur. A member of the space genus magnapinnidae. An eight tentacled gaseous creature that
lives in and near the upper atmosphere of Gas Giant planets. It feeds on the gases found in the
upper layers and it has an affinity for Casion and Hydrogen. Due to this, the Nimbusaur frequently
targets and attacks orbiting mining platforms, ships and stations hoarding these gases.

What it looks like:

The Nimbusaur looks and acts similar to the ancient Earth deep ocean Bigfin squid, know to attack
and sink ocean vessels twice its size. It has a complex set of 8 tentacles, two grasping arms and highly
developed sense organs. It has a razor-sharp beak for a mouth that can cut open any hull it encounters and a proboscis-like tongue for siphoning gases it locates.

What it Does:

The Nimbusaur floats gracefully along the upper layers of a gas giant's atmosphere siphoning gas as it goes similar to what an aquatic being does as it travels through water. At the tip of each tentacle is a sensory organ that, similar to echo-location, can detect both the shape of particular gas molecules as well as the humming vibration of orbiting mining equipment. Once detected, using chameleon-like camouflage matching the cloud patterns of the planet, it stealthily approaches its prey and with its grasping arms grabs and draws its target into reach of the tentacles. Once there, it uses its mouth to cut through any armor and into the hull of the target. Once penetrated, it uses its tongue to seek out and siphon any gases. Before long there is violent decompression and the vessel is destroyed.

Special attributes:

The Nimbusaur has the ability to change color and pattern to suit its surroundings, making it practically invisible and very stealthy.
If the Nimbusaur has attacked a vessel with a particularly high amount of armor, it has the ability to discharge a highly corrosive acid that will begin to dissolve the vessel's armor.
The Nimbusaur, due to the ability to withstand enormous atmospheric pressures, is impervious to ion and beam weapons. Only torpedoes and missiles can destroy it.

Back Story:

During the Shakturi war era, it was discovered that the Giant Kaltor creatures were created as a bio-weapon in the fight against them. But what wasn't discovered, was that one of the science ships created to carry and distribute the original genetic material (the Odyessy) was on a delivery mission to a secret lab in the Alpha Kassieda system near the Briar Patch nebula. According to certain covert Gizurean agents, it is speculated that one of the onboard Kaltor eggs prematurely hatched, escaped containment and disposed of the crew. The Odyessy drifted into the gravity well of a nearby Gas Giant and exploded, thus spreading the genetic material into the over 850 mph upper winds of the planet.
It is believed that the genetic material, the DNA of the Kaltor and the chemical composition of the atmosphere all contributed to the genetic creation of the Nimbusaur. Able to live and survive from a range of the middle atmospheric planet layer to the outer range of the planets gravity well, it feeds on the planet's natural gases....and any ship or vessels in orbit it finds.

Attachments
SpaceSquid.gif
SpaceSquid.gif (63.29 KiB) Viewed 59 times
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
tedesco

RE: Creature Contest: The Nimbusaur

Post by tedesco »

I like it.

Also, red eyes is so evil! [:@]
Every atom in our bodies was once part of a star
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Good backstory and nice details indeed.
For some reason that thing reminds me of this nightmare:
If you have watched replays at Gameinformer, you'll probably hate Vortex Queen with passion. [:)]
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Igard

Post by Igard »

Oh, yeah. That thing looks nasty! Nice one, Ed. [8D]

And I like how you worked your favourite nebula into the backstory.[;)]
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

This is cool too...
Maybe we can get a couple of these monsters added. I like the back story too...
This is nice... I like it. Another nice fresh approach to the monster thing.
I might actually turn monsters on if a couple of these get implemented.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Thanks guys for all of your great comments. Just something I pulled out of my
'PATIENTLY WAITING TO TEST DW:LEGENDS' mind's eye! [;)]

...and yes Igard, glad you noticed that! [:D]

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Kalthaniell

Post by Kalthaniell »

But what wasn't discovered, was that one of the science ships created to carry and distribute the original genetic material (the Odyessy) was on a delivery mission to a secret lab in the Alpha Kassieda system near the Briar Patch nebula.

Damn, one moment you are minding your own business, trying to find your way into the well hidden cargo bay, and than BAM everyone start to run in amok screaming "KRAKEN!!!" :P

Great idea Ehsumrell. I like it.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”