Distant Worlds – Legends Announced and we’re looking for a Space Creature!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

SeanD

Distant Worlds – Legends Announced and we’re looking for a Space Creature!

Post by SeanD »

A new expansion to the award-winning space strategy game is headed this way with a creature contest!

Matrix Games, Slitherine (www.slitherine.com) and Code Force (www.codeforce.co.nz) are thrilled to announce Distant Worlds – Legends. Currently in final testing and expected to release by November, Distant Worlds – Legends is the second expansion to the widely acclaimed space strategy game, Distant Worlds. Distant Worlds – Legends is packed with exciting new features and improvements, including a brand new character system with skills, traits and advancements based on each character’s actions. Gameplay has been greatly expanded for each race wiith new race-specific events and victory conditions, a new system for borders and spheres of influence, an expanded tech tree with new weapons, facilities and wonders, improved AI, improved diplomacy including mining and refueling rights, greatly improved fleet management, new main map overlays to show ship routes and fleet postures, improved mod support, and more!

Also announced today is the new creature contest for Distant Worlds – Legends. As part of the release, a new space creature will be included in the Distant Worlds universe, joining the likes of the Kaltor, Ardilus and Sand Slug. This time, we’re giving ¬you a chance to add your signature to Distant Worlds by submitting your idea for a new space creature! For full contest rules, please see this post in our forums. You have two weeks before the winner is chosen, and the winner will receive a free copy of the entire Distant Worlds series and an in-game credit for their creature contribution!

Erik Rutins, Director of Product Development Matrix Games, said “Distant Worlds – Legends is a huge and highly anticipated step forward for the Distant Worlds series. CodeForce has been listening to ideas and suggestions from Distant Worlds players, and Legends brings many of the most requested improvements to life, such as the much anticipated character system. Now you can choose where to send your best Ambassador, assign your best Admiral to lead your main fleet in a key battle, let your General lead your next invasion from orbit, and make sure you have the right Colony Governor assigned to that new frontier world! We’ll be releasing more information on Distant Worlds – Legends over the next few weeks as it approaches release, so check back often.”

Distant Worlds: Legends is the highly anticipated second expansion to the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game Distant Worlds. Legends is a huge step forward which brings the Distant Worlds universe to life. A new character system includes Leaders, Admirals, Generals, Governors, Ambassadors, Scientists and Agents, each with defined abilities and traits and opportunities to advance and grow over time. Expanded gameplay for all existing races includes new race-specific events, technologies and victory conditions which create a completely different game depending on your choices. An expanded tech tree also awaits, with dedicated carriers, cutting lasers, rail guns, new planetary facilities and wonders, and much more (including a new hidden faction)!

Distant Worlds: Legends also includes a new model for borders and spheres of influence for each faction, as well as new fleet management and automation commands. The interface has been improved with additional overlays for the main galaxy map, including route indicators for all ships and fleet posture indicators, all to make it easier to keep track of activity and strategy. A new setup option allows galaxies to also be larger in map size as well as number of stars. Empire Policies have been expanded with new options and Diplomacy has been overhauled to be much more intelligent and to include mining and refueling rights. Finally, the AI has been improved in all areas and modding support has been greatly expanded to allow modders to take full advantage of all the new features.

All of this together makes Distant Worlds: Legends an essential addition to the vast, living galaxy of Distant Worlds!

Please note: Distant Worlds – Legends REQUIRES ownership of the original full Distant Worlds game.

Get more information on Distant Worlds – Legends from its official product page.
Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
J HG T

RE: Distant Worlds – Legends Announced and we’re looking for a Space Creature!

Post by J HG T »

I'm repeating myself here, but here goes: Aw yeah!
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
lordxorn

Post by lordxorn »

WOW this sounds great!

So is Slitherine helping out as well? Or are you one in the same company now?

Borders, Leaders, Rail Guns, Dedicated Carriers, awesome!!

Do some of the New Planetary Structures also include Planetary weapons as well?
Data

Post by Data »

I think we'll need to harass the beta testers for this [:D]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
flap

Post by flap »

Hmm. So does it means that it will be possible to play a just one character trying to level up ?
That could be fun and a light way to play Distant Worlds...
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Hmm, I noticed a new government type in the screen shots: Corporate Nationalism

Also Ice planets are less prone to disasters.

And races can start with historical locations already discovered.

But naturally what I'm interested in is exactly how expanded the mod support is. I'm really hoping I can edit the galactopedia to give a history and description of my added races. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: SeanD
A new setup option allows galaxies to also be larger in map size as well as number of stars.

Hell yes!!!
tedesco

Post by tedesco »

Please note: Distant Worlds – Legends REQUIRES ownership of the original full Distant Worlds game.
So, I don't need ROTS?
Every atom in our bodies was once part of a star
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: tedesco
So, I don't need ROTS?

It's my belief that you don't.
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

It says "full Distant Worlds". That makes me thing about RotS exp.
Still, it could be that all features from RotS are ported to Legends so you dont need RotS expansion.
Erik, please illuminate us with your wisdom! (if possible [:)]) 
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

Sean said that they have been listening to the input and suggestions from the forum and DW players. That one statement alone says volumns to me. I have not been part of something like this with any other game. Of course , they can not please all of us all the time, but they are making a very good effort to do so. I am really pumped for this expansion!!

FoM
Old............but very fast
Fishers of Men

Post by Fishers of Men »

I have the same thought about which expansions I will need to get all the features. What will be the price structure for purchasing the basic game and any or all expansions?

FoM
Old............but very fast
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

There have been questions about whether you need both DW and its expansion module.
If you look at the screens they have provided, it sort of looks like you do need both... but I am speculating...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Erik Rutins, Director of Product Development Matrix Games, said “Distant Worlds – Legends is a huge and highly anticipated step forward for the Distant Worlds series. CodeForce has been listening to ideas and suggestions from Distant Worlds players, and Legends brings many of the most requested improvements to life, such as the much anticipated character system. Now you can choose where to send your best Ambassador, assign your best Admiral to lead your main fleet in a key battle, let your General lead your next invasion from orbit, and make sure you have the right Colony Governor assigned to that new frontier world! We’ll be releasing more information on Distant Worlds – Legends over the next few weeks as it approaches release, so check back often.”

Yes! Characters, and good characters too... Wooohooo!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

Also announced today is the new creature contest for Distant Worlds – Legends. As part of the release, a new space creature will be included in the Distant Worlds universe, joining the likes of the Kaltor, Ardilus and Sand Slug. This time, we’re giving ¬you a chance to add your signature to Distant Worlds by submitting your idea for a new space creature! For full contest rules, please see this post in our forums. You have two weeks before the winner is chosen, and the winner will receive a free copy of the entire Distant Worlds series and an in-game credit for their creature contribution!

Creature entries are ALL over the place - from the simplistic (graphical changes to slug, krator, etc), to the rather complex that will require custom scripting as to their appearance and available actions.

What ARE you guys looking for? What level of scripting is of prime importance. Will there indeed be ANY creature scripting?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

I don't know how PR works in relation to review sites but you guys really need to get copies out to all the majors because this game needs more coverage.

I love x4 and I've only just discovered Distant Worlds, I'm 18 months late to the party!

And here's the reason - http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/di ... ds/results - a complete lack of reviews/coverage.
I've been beta testing myself for decades.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”