Air Power

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

gerg71

Air Power

Post by gerg71 »

Ok, I love the game and have played everything in the old General series. But I can't help but wonder why in this modern version were still playing with aircraft that dont make sense in the way they function? Aircraft stay in the air for what would amount to days or weeks at a time. Why can't we use a system like Peoples General had. Aircraft go out on specific missions and then are gone. I know people would miss seeing there aircraft counters on the board, but for me its just not realistic the way its working.

maybe it's just me?
Jestre

RE: Air Power

Post by Jestre »

I prefer to think of it as having the air asset in the area of operations that the counter represents. In other words think of the air unit representing an unseen air asset assigned to that area.
gerg71

Post by gerg71 »

Yes, I have considerd this concept. But then why would they need to re-fuel at an airstrip? And wouldnt fighters then be able to cover/protect multiple units in there zone of influece?

Sorry, not trying to be dificult. I just would like something that was a little more realistic.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: gerg71
And wouldnt fighters then be able to cover/protect multiple units in there zone of influece?

Actually they do. They cover a total of 7 hexes (the 6 surrounding and the one they are in). If you take the Norway map as an example that means each fighter covers an area spanning about 150kmx150km.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
gerg71

Post by gerg71 »

OK, Ill give you that one that they do cover an area. But shouldn 't it be an airfield counter or something then if that's the concept? And again why would they need to fly to another airfield and re-fuel if this were the case? Not to mention that nothing ever really lands at an airfield (Pacific we at least had planes land on the cariers to re-fuel/ re-arm).

Love the game, just wish airpower worked like Peoples General. But as I stated, maybe it's just me?
mentatt76

Post by mentatt76 »

in PG2 we never worried about their fuel but I like the way they work like now. It adds to strategy.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I think air units should never run out of fuel, seldom happened in the real world.'
But the ammo should run out much faster, say two rounds and then head back to the airfield for resupply.

Also I think the devs got it wrong with the naval attack abilities.
Tactical bombers like the Stuka should have higher values and high level bombers should have much lower. Hitting ships by bombing from a high level is very difficult.

Erik
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

To the best of my recollection, air units in Panzer Corps are the same as they were in the original Panzer General and that is perfectly acceptable to me.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
MagiK

Post by MagiK »

The problem Stuka's and other Direct Support/Low Level bombers have against naval units is..they get shot down quickly by the AA fire.  The High level bombers do better in this case because they are basically safe to attack....barring enemy air cover.  In the Pacific war you had pilots and tactics that focused on Naval attack which is why dive bombers were king, but the Euro war there was no such focus for training and equipment.....thats just my take on it anyway.
Disintigration is easy! If you want to impress me, re-intergrate it.
IronFist00

Post by IronFist00 »

ORIGINAL: MagiK

...In the Pacific war you had pilots and tactics that focused on Naval attack which is why dive bombers were king, but the Euro war there was no such focus for training and equipment.....thats just my take on it anyway.

Actually, the Luftwaffe were quite proficient at attacking naval ships in the Mediterranean Sea. They constantly harassed British supply ships and warships trying to supply Malta and prior to the invasion of Crete. The Germans had some elite Stuka squadrons that were absolutely terrors for the British.
AceDuceTrey

Post by AceDuceTrey »

I changed my "shorter" range fighters to a movement allowance that was at or just under half their total fuel. This ~ doubled their "sprint" distance but forced them to return home on the next turn (if no airbase was closer). Also, I agree with the discussion on "Strategic" bombers.... Japanese and later American reports on high altitude bombing of warships at sea indicated they were virtually useless. Even Billy Mitchell had problems at higher altitudes hitting stationary BBs with the much slower bi-plane bombers until he brought them down to lower altitude. Also, B-17s scored NO hits on ships they attacked at the battle of Midway. The Japanese used Nells (medium bombers) to sink both the BB Prince of Wales and the BC Repulse. Over 90 A/C participated in the attack scoring just a few bomb hits but so many torpedoe hits niether ship had a chance. Here's the dilemma: Both heavy and medium bombers were used very successfully AT LOW (to very low) ALTITUDEs delivering torpedoes and/or depth charges against transports and submarines, respectively. In fact, it was the long range strategic bombers equiped with air to surface radar and depth charges that "won" the battle of the Atlantic. This is why I want to see ALL aircraft have this "dual role" alternative (ala Heavy AA). You would give the medium and heavy bombers a strong naval attack ONLY when in the low altitude mode.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Come on people, it's a game, you have to have some abstractions.

Return to “Panzer Corps”