Making History III: fiva55 vs Sillyflower

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

fiva55

RE: End of turn 7

Post by fiva55 »

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek
The more T-34's the better. I usually evacuate as much as railcap allows. I don't know what would be the minimum number to evacuate to reach historical production in January 1942.

PS: Let me remind you that as soon as Kiev falls, the Kharkov MD will disband leaving any unit you have attached to it under the STAVKA.

I will try to rail out as much as possible then. Thanks for the reminder about Kharkov MD. Though it seems that after Kharkov MD disbanded (T8), instead of attached to Stavka, 38th A is now attached to Southern Ural MD. Ah well, at least it is the same colour as Southern Front.
fiva55

End of turn 8

Post by fiva55 »

End of turn 8, August 7 1941
Northern Sector
Clear Weather

The Luga line is under great pressure. Hoping to divert some of the units going for Leningrad, 11th Army launches a diversionary attack into the German flank.

Attachments
SillyflowerT8North.jpg
SillyflowerT8North.jpg (371.47 KiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

RE: End of turn 8

Post by fiva55 »

Central Sector
Clear Weather

Suspiciously, the German mobile units in this sector remain well behind the frontline. IMO,there is little point in just fighting it out with German infantry. With many rifle divisions in unready status, another 30-40 miles pull back was ordered to allow the troops some time to rest and refit.

Attachments
Sillyflowe..8Center.jpg
Sillyflowe..8Center.jpg (281.11 KiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

RE: End of turn 8

Post by fiva55 »

Southern Sector
Clear Weather

The Germans managed to establish 4 bridgeheads across the Dnepr, of whom 3 were thrown back by fresh troops of Southwestern Front. A bridghead near Kiev remains, but recon shows no mobile units able to exploit it.

Attachments
SillyflowerT8South.jpg
SillyflowerT8South.jpg (329.63 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

ORIGINAL: fiva55
Edit: Is it necessary to evacuate all the t34 factories in Kharkov, or is a certain amount sufficient?

Maybe too late now, but here is my take: Evacuating vehicle factories is relatively cheap in terms of rail cap compared with Arm and HI. OTOH the T34 factory will grow back eventually, even if you only get one point out, while any Arm and HI not evacuated are lost forever. Hard call, but if I was hard pressed and had to chose, I would prioritize Arm and HI and settle for evacuating only a part of the T34 factory.

Keeping in mind also that Arm is much more important than tanks in eventually defeating the Germans. As the German you fear a well armed rifle corps, but tank corps are just yummy for the Germans!
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
fiva55

Post by fiva55 »

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

OTOH the T34 factory will grow back eventually, even if you only get one point out, while any Arm and HI not evacuated are lost forever.

That is good to know, does the same apply to vehicle factories?
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: fiva55

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

OTOH the T34 factory will grow back eventually, even if you only get one point out, while any Arm and HI not evacuated are lost forever.

That is good to know, does the same apply to vehicle factories?

No; vehicle factories don't grow back.

Tarhunnas's advice is good; if you are pressed, just move 1 T-34. It will all grow back in the end. Moving just 1 will only hurt you in 1942, but not after. And, after March 1942, I can't see lacking in Medium tanks, even with lost T-34 production.

I would accord VEHICLES a low priority. Vehicles are important for the Soviet effort no question, but if you look at the numbers, I would move ARMAMENTS first. You get 120 Factories at start, and they make 10 per turn; even at 100% production, you get 1,200 per turn. At 50%, you are missing 600 per turn. Meanwhile, Lend Lease in 1943 is 4500 per turn, and 6000 in 1944. Against that, Soviet Vehcile production is just a rounding error. Don't sweat it too much, IMO.

ARMAMENTS are everything; you WILL be hurting in this area, particularly in 1.05. Save all you can

I am not sure on HEAVY INDUSTRY; it's hard to tell if you have surplus here or not. I think I would prioritize ARM first still, though I haven't been involved in a game where I lost piles of HI.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Nice ARR. Good to see you playing with a historical style - linear defense in depth - and no checker board :)
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
fiva55

End of turn 9

Post by fiva55 »

End of turn 9, August 14 1941
Northern Sector
Clear Weather
Updated to 1.05

Having left the western part of the Luga line weakly defended on purpose, I expected the Germans to breach the lines at that location, hopefully leaving them vulnerable to counter attacks by the refitting divisions of Northwestern Front. What I did not anticipate, was Sillyflower making a second thrust straight through the center of my lines, thus ensuring that 28th Army became isolated.

Though I managed to temporarily break the pocket, I fully expect that the Germans will be able to close it again, this time permanently. This setback meant that I had to divert several divisions originally intended to reinforce the central sector to this area. Still, an impressive looking carpet has now been formed, though the coming turn will show if it is effective.

Attachments
Sillyflower T9N.jpg
Sillyflower T9N.jpg (647.75 KiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

End of turn 9

Post by fiva55 »

Central Sector
Clear Weather
Updated to 1.05

The previous turns saw the the Soviet troops in this sector retreating without a fight. This was mainly to preserve troop strength in this area, so that the bulk of replacements could be concentrated in the north. Now, with the northern sector almost up to full strength, and Germans in this sector just 100 miles from Moscow, it is finally time to make a stand.

There is only one problem. Though I feel confident that I have enough troops to swamp any advance by the relatively low number of German mobile units in this sector, as of yet, no panzer has been seen in the front, forcing me to gamble how to distribute my forces.

As it is, I have chosen to concentrate the bulk of my forces in the area of Moscow and south of Moscow, leaving the approach route to Kalinin defended by just one army.

Attachments
SillyflowerT9C.jpg
SillyflowerT9C.jpg (232.86 KiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

RE: End of turn 9

Post by fiva55 »

Southern Sector
Clear Weather
Updated to 1.05

It seems that most of 1st PzGroup has managed to cross the Dnepr. Currently though, the only armament factories remaining in this sector are in Stalino and the area beyond. Should I manage to delay the Germans for a few more turns, I will be able to safely evacuate those.

Attachments
SillyflowerT9S.jpg
SillyflowerT9S.jpg (223.68 KiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

Begin of turn 10: OOB and Losses

Post by fiva55 »

Begin of turn 10, August 21 1941
Clear Weather
OOB and Losses

Attachments
Losses.jpg
Losses.jpg (165.67 KiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

Begin of turn 10: Frontline overview

Post by fiva55 »

Begin of turn 10, August 21 1941
Clear Weather
Front line overview

Some highlights:

1)In the north, 4th Pz Group progress seems to be temporarily stalled
2)In the center, all of Kaluga's industry has been trapped. Moscow is in dire straits.
3)In the south, 1st Pz Group managed to break through my lines. Strong soviet units in the vicinity should give an excellent opportunity to counter attack though.

Attachments
Beginofturn10.jpg
Beginofturn10.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

Turn 10 preview

Post by fiva55 »

Turn 10 preview
Kharkov

I had hoped to finish the turn this weekend, for I won't be able to access my copy of the game until mid next week. Unfortunately, things came up, and I was only able to partly complete the turn.

So here is a short preview, I will leave it up to your imagination what happened.

Attachments
Turn10.jpg
Turn10.jpg (135.61 KiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

End of turn 10

Post by fiva55 »

Begin of Turn 10, August 21 1941
Northern Sector
Clear Weather

Unfortunately, there was no way to rescue 28th Army. Instead, Northern and Northwestern Front remain largely defensive this turn, content to let the Germans come to us.

Attachments
T10N.jpg
T10N.jpg (304.72 KiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

End of turn 10

Post by fiva55 »

Central Sector
Clear Weather

The central sector has been largely neglected in favour of the north and south, preventing me from really posing a threat to the German spearheads. Still, a panzer division, guarding the flanks of the German advance, was forced to retreat, allowing us to cut off tip of the spearhead.

Attachments
T10C.jpg
T10C.jpg (322.81 KiB) Viewed 315 times
fiva55

RE: End of turn 10

Post by fiva55 »

Southern Sector
Clear Weather

Although the Germans made a clean break through my lines, a price was paid. Their strongest units where used for the initial attack, forcing them to use their weaker units to guard the flanks of their advance afterwards. That would not have been a problem, had I not concentrated the strongest units of the Red Army in this sector.

As it is, Southern and Southwestern Front where in the perfect position to launch multiple counter attacks, which resulted in the rout of 2 panzer divisions and 2 SS motorized divisions, and the isolation of the final SS motorized division.

Attachments
T10S.jpg
T10S.jpg (221.84 KiB) Viewed 315 times
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Ouch!
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Very Nice!!!!! [&o]

Those mobile units are going to be out of your hair for a turn or two at least,

And if he cant punch a hole to the Lone Ranger SS division, That one will be gone for 6 or 7 turns.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
fiva55

Post by fiva55 »

There is no point in playing timid. Though the the Germans have the strategic initiative in 1941, counter attacks are still very much possible. This is especially true in the south. Although the clear terrain favours panzer drives, it also means that they are very vulnerable to counter attacks, after they are worn out after a long drive. To take advantage of this however, you need to create some depth in your defence, or you won't have the MP to reach the Germans.

Return to “After Action Reports”