Advice wanted

Carriers At War is Strategic Studies Group famed simulation of Fleet Carrier Air and Naval Operations in the Pacific from 1941 - 1945.

Moderators: Gregor_SSG, alexs

godfrey

Advice wanted

Post by godfrey »

I have Grigsby WITE and I want to buy a new game. I am considering Carriers at War or Eagle day. Does anyone who has both in a psoition to make a recomendation?
gabeeg

RE: Advice wanted

Post by gabeeg »

Sorry, I do not have Eagle Day, but I do own Carriers at War.  I am sorry to say, it is the only war game I regret purchasing.  It was ok for a handful of games and then it is...well...boring.  There is just something missing in this game IMO.  Maybe it is a bit too abstracted to me.   I love naval games and there are sooooo few of them it hurts me to say that.   I even loaded the game up a couple weeks ago to see if I changed my mind...I haven't.
Kind Regards,

Harry
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

I still like the game, but it seems like the devs have stopped working on it.
I remember they said that they would pick it up after finishing work on some other game, but that must have been a couple of years ago.
Also I think they should work on the editor. There is a promising system for scripting the AI using 'warcards' with options for much randomness, but it is hard (at least for me) to learn.
After the initila release period a game survives on new scenarios and ability to mod it.

Erik
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Prince of Eckmühl

Post by Prince of Eckmühl »

You might want to take a look at HPS' Midway. It's a lot deeper than CaW and is still under development. I'm still playing it. I finished all the scenarios, and am working my way through again, starting with Pearl Harbor! Oh, but I have to tell you the bad stuff, too, don't I?

-The graphics are barely passable.

-There's no AI for friendly subs.

-Aircraft are either flying or on the ground, which is to say that there are only two altitudes in the game.

Apart from those items, the game is great and a lot of fun to play.
Government is the opiate of the masses.

Return to “Carriers At War”