Vulim Empire Coup

Discuss you ToS map designs made with the editor and post them here.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

Ghstbear

RE: Vulim Empire Coup

Post by Ghstbear »

Jureidinim said it well, and is a good campaign writer. [&o] I have done his Rebel Hunters campaign. The last two missions were my favorite from that one. The others were a little easy. I know he made another one recently that I must try out. I have to test out my friends first: Tit for tat.

Basically, to sum up: A player is allowed to have or bring any number of titans they want officially. They can be any size they want, and any skill. On a few missions I requested less - and enforced it. You'll have to jog my memory if and when you get there as to how I did it.

I tried to reward for having a variety, instead of just the big boyz. [:)]

You can set their opposition to vary according to their weight - which is more satisfying to them. This way will only allow guidelines in selection of titans by the computer.

Or you can set specific titans. This will allow for specifics in the storyline, but it is harder to program for everyone. In this campaign you will be able to tell which of your enemy is locked because they will be titans from ToS, and not the Battletech mechs you are running.

These same principles apply to skill set as well.

At maximum, it is conceivable to send a person against 16 enemy titans, and lock them in at assault. That would be worst case scenario. You can do this by having four teams, and destroying all of the player's allies. The player is stuck in this case because they are limited to just one team, even if it is assault. The point I come away from this with is: why bother? If you want to destroy someone's team you can go ahead and set booby traps. Then they learn not to play your missions. [:D] I would much rather keep it real. Always give them just barely what they can handle. Then when they win they feel "Wow! That was close! That was great!" If you're going to set traps the best thing to do is give them clue to avoid them, or solve them.
LordSteel

Post by LordSteel »

It's all good. My finals will be over next Monday, and then I'll have a bit more time to play the missions. I'll post more comments once I complete a few more.
jureidinim

Post by jureidinim »

@GhstBear-Would love to hear your feedback on the last campaign I did as that was the first time i tried a branching campaign. [:D]  

Good Squad based games are rare and usually needs mods to be decent. This game is a true gem in that department and does draw me back time and again - I am getting the itch to play again so I think your campaign here (Vulim Empire coup) will be a good entry point for my new squad [8D]

@LordSteel - Feel free to ask more questions - the more mission/campaigns created the better for us all.  [:)]
Megrez

Post by Megrez »

Hi Ghstbear,

I'm trying your campaign but I'm stuck on mission 7. After 4 or 5 messages appearing at the beginning of the mission (and related to the main plot of the campaign), the game interface crashes without letting me doing anything: have you got an updated version of the file related to that mission?

Megrez
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Wow. I tested it again just to be sure, but it does work on mine. What version are you using? What second does it freeze on? How many pilots are active in the mission? A friend and I tested each mission many times to assure that it was completely sound. Perhaps you hit upon a situation that I never came up with. If that's the case, I can modify it and send it to you. We may have to start it as mission one, because I have found before that once I change a mission, it forgets that my team was already well along in the campaign. I know you went through a lot of work to get there!

Let me know, and we will see what we can do. I hope you have enjoyed it thus far. Have you had to take notes? It's quite a complex story. It's been a while since I have done anything with this.

Dear Larkin,
Do you have any insight on this? This mission uses a special setup where the player does not appear until about 13 seconds into the mission. Perhaps if he doesn't have enough pilots it has a problem quoting a name. I must wait on more info.
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

ORIGINAL: Ghstbear

Dear Larkin,
Do you have any insight on this? This mission uses a special setup where the player does not appear until about 13 seconds into the mission. Perhaps if he doesn't have enough pilots it has a problem quoting a name. I must wait on more info.

The problem is in the code when player squads will arrive later during a mission. I think I fixed it and reuploaded 1.2.2
Megrez

Post by Megrez »

@ Ghstbear:
tnx for replying...
well... I'm actually using version 1.22. I've got a standard full squad (8 jocks) on mission 7.
My team is quite normal, apart the fact that I use two titans (SUPERNOVA and TORTUGAND) that I won during previous missions and which are not on official factory database, plus a personal titan-desing (the BERKUT). Anyway I don't think that's the problem 'cause I used these titans also during the previous 6 missions [&:]
I'm trying to attach a zipped archive with screenshots of messages I can see on the screen before the game crashes.

@ Larkin:
What should I do? Should I retire my squad from the mission and restart the mission after installing the new version you uploaded?
Attachments
Screenshots.zip
(415.38 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Install v1.2.2 again and you should be able to continue the mission with the autosave. If you don't have an autosave, you have to retire the squad and restart the mission. 
Megrez

Post by Megrez »

Dear Larkin,

The revised v1.2.2 solved my problem with the game: I was able to play mission 7.
To say the truth, It took me more time to solve the crash-thingy than it took me to play the mission itself.
A the beginning of the mission, my group spawned near the location where Gen. Trachino (if I remember well his name) was placed with his group, and I could easily sweep his titan away from the battle.
My leader didn't participate to the battle ('cause the battle itself lasted only few seconds) and was counted as "retired" [&:] at the end of the skirmish.
Anyway that was not a great problem...
I played mission 8 (...a mission with a funny particular ending), and now I'm trying mission 9 (hopefully I chose the right one...).

Meg
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

I made a quick test and the first jock of my squad was marked as reserve as it will only appear in second 62 instead 12. No idea wether this was intended by Ghstbear.

Megrez

Post by Megrez »

@ Ghstbear:
Mission 9 was very difficoult :) but mission 10 was so delicious (with the possibility to ass-kick Murdock)
Now I'm trying mission 11.

Nice campaign :)
shalis

Post by shalis »

awesome. thank you ghostbear.

looking forward to trying this campaign out.

Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Yes, this was intended. It fits the story line. Thanks for the fix to the problem. It would have been messy to work around it.
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Thanks Megrez!

You may be the first to get through it on the site. I think it only goes to 14. 14 is an epic, though. It's not necessarily hard, but it has three scenes. I wish you well on the others until then.
Dailager

Post by Dailager »

This is an awesome campaign, and it really shows that you put a lot of work and time into its design!

I am stuck on the mission "War Begins," and was wondering if someone could help me determine what to do next.  I have hit all the target areas and have also disabled all enemies, but I can't get my titans to the exit area, because it is located on an unclimbable mountain.  I have been back over the (huge) map, but I don't see anything else to do.  Does anyone know something else I could try?  Thanks! 
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Wow! You are so close. Don't forget you have to destroy the building in the beginning (scene #1 [;)] of the 4 scenes) to set the ambassadors free. Otherwise the map will not let you succeed. This was a way of having more than one objective involved in the mission. Beware that it is guarded.

I would love to know your team configuration when you are done. I was trying my best to not let the super massive titans have the advantage, and sometimes you do better to keep them on the lighter side. Did you find that to be the case?
Dailager

Post by Dailager »

Man I feel dumb, but I never destroyed that building, only moved my titans onto the hex.  Thanks for the tip!

In the beginning of the campaign, I was attempting to use heavy and assault titans for each mission, but that became almost impossible to succeed, so for the last several missions I have gone with the pre-mades Imp (70), Unicorn (40), Thor (70), and Vulcanoid (70).  The lighter titans make the difficulty manageable, though I would still classify most of the missions as highly difficult (especially the one in the city where you rescue the general).  I'm not complaining - the difficulty is what makes the fun to me, but you better save your game often [:)].
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

Good to hear - it works as planned then. If the whole universe needed only assault titans why would others exist?
Thanks for the input. I am glad to hear it. I do prefer difficult missions. I think all of the hard ones reset after loss. Hopefully that helps. Easier ones help you release frustrations of life I guess, but I like a mission that makes you frustrated. You leave it, say you won't try it again, get to thinking about another way to do it, and then go back to it again. When you do complete them you feel awesome. The frustration of a good, hard mission is better in the end because it makes you realize that any challenge isn't as daunting as it first appears.

I was really surprised that you disabled all of the enemies in the last mission. Of course, some don't appear if you are observant to all information, so that makes it easier. Also, some calvary comes to your aid if you listen as well. Still I found I barely survived at the very last scene (#4). The Imp is good for equalizing forces a bit. I hope you succeed! You may be the first on the site!
Megrez

Post by Megrez »

ORIGINAL: Dailager

Man I feel dumb, but I never destroyed that building, only moved my titans onto the hex.  Thanks for the tip!

I forgot to tell Ghstbear about the fact I had the same problem when I did face the last mission: I would not pierce a building with my weapons if I have to rescue people who is imprisoned inside of it. But I figured out what to do :)
Ghstbear

Post by Ghstbear »

True, true. That was the closest I could get to the 'blasting them out of there' scenario. I'm sure by now someone finished the entire campaign, right?

Return to “Titan's Map Room”