No question is a stupid question (bit ot)

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

PeeDeeAitch

No question is a stupid question (bit ot)

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

A bit off topic here, but a good reminder. I teach a class at the University here, a big history lecture. I try my best to get the ranks of students to talk, to ask questions, to (gasp) learn.

Over and over we hear "no question is a stupid question" and while that is not true (I mean, if you post here how to turn on your computer that might be construed as a bit dumb, if you post here asking just what a computer is, then that question is stupid), most questions are not stupid.

I remember being overwhelmed last December when I got this, and frankly a part of me still is overwhelmed. I learn more when people ask questions here (even if the poster thinks they are dumb ones or have been asked before) than I do from sitting at my desk and hoping the magical computer rays beam the information into my head unasked for.

My point? New or old, turgid or whimsical, keep asking stuff here. It helps old codgers like me to learn more, it engenders discussions, and it gets me to remember just how to turn on my computer...I still haven't forgotten just what a computer is.

Hey, I might even answer something if it is simple...
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
mmarquo

RE: No question is a stupid question (bit ot)

Post by mmarquo »

?

[:)]

Marquo
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

Apropos of nothing, I was just feeling that I have learned a lot from the "This might be a stupid question, but..." type of question. From assigning SUs to the really hard stuff like railroad repair - if it weren't for this forum I would still be a noob.

Oh wait...
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

You're right. There is so much you can do in this game and each patch may change what you could do before. I think there may be more questions posted once the colder weather sets in and people spend more time indoors.
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

It is already colder here in Wyoming...38 degrees this morning...thank goodness it is still Summer.

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
JAMiAM

Post by JAMiAM »

ORIGINAL: Marquo

?

Marquo
His mind wanders when he doesn't have a turn to play. His panzers wander when he does. I'm not sure which is more dangerous...[;)]
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I have been to Wyoming riding in the wilderness - great place and as far removed from sussesx England as you can wish to be...

Cav
coolts

Post by coolts »

When you stop learning you die. You can boil down a helluva lot of mankind’s struggle from the primordial ooze into that principal which sounds simple but encompasses much.

In other words, do as I do, and for those students who fail to even try, give them a job application form for Burger King!

WitE rocks! (Hic) ;)
"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

ORIGINAL: PeeDeeAitch

It is already colder here in Wyoming...38 degrees this morning...thank goodness it is still Summer.

You americans use so strange measurements I have no Idea if that would be a heatwave or if you are freezing your butt off! [;)]
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Cerion

Post by Cerion »

You americans use so strange measurements I have no Idea if that would be a heatwave or if you are freezing your butt off!

+1 [:'(]
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

38 is 3ish in that measurement that hates history.

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Cerion
You americans use so strange measurements I have no Idea if that would be a heatwave or if you are freezing your butt off!

+1 [:'(]

Summer goes away really fast. [:(]
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

[/quote]
His mind wanders when he doesn't have a turn to play. His panzers wander when he does. I'm not sure which is more dangerous...[;)]
[/quote]

In the 1.05 version of my mind, panzers are much more dangerous. [8|]
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

The mind is a terrible thing to waste...now where did mine go?

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

It has been postulated that puzzle solving, doing math and playing music prevents or delays the onset of dementia; this fact should be made very clear to the middle aged and others at risk --> one could posit that playing WITE prevents the onset of Alzheimers, arrests and may be even reverse dementia; when this gets out it, this message board will be overloaded with "stupid questions."

How's that for a wasteful ruminations?

Marquo
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Marquo
It has been postulated that puzzle solving, doing math and playing music prevents or delays the onset of dementia; this fact should be made very clear to the middle aged and others at risk --> one could posit that playing WITE prevents the onset of Alzheimers, arrests and may be even reverse dementia; when this gets out it, this message board will be overloaded with "stupid questions."
But on the other hand.....those of us who still remember cardboard can almost, if we're honest with ourselves, diagnose some kinds of problems that involve cognition because of, say, the number of stupid mistakes one makes. If the number is climbing ( number of mistakes per turn ) then either you need more sleep or you need to focus more, or maybe there's reallly something different ( you may be drunk etc. ) going on mentally.......early onset of old age etc.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

( you may be drunk etc. )

Ar yu inshinuatin sumpin?

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

Larry is possibly referring to my garbled emails and weird turns sent while jet lagged from airports and taxis. I once played Star Fleet Command online using the only land phone line Irom an obscure bar in a rural florida swamp. The deal involved a usage/drink purchase ratio amenable to Dwayne, an proof that I was usage a no charge dial up service. The game lag/latency was surprisngly very low. Who knew?
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

[/quote]
But on the other hand.....those of us who still remember cardboard can almost, if we're honest with ourselves, diagnose some kinds of problems that involve cognition because of, say, the number of stupid mistakes one makes. If the number is climbing ( number of mistakes per turn ) then either you need more sleep or you need to focus more, or maybe there's reallly something different ( you may be drunk etc. ) going on mentally.......early onset of old age etc.
[/quote]

No, this means you have to play even more to reverse the incipient dementia which is causing the mistakes.

Marquo

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”