Tips on Norway please

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

arthurmomatrix

Tips on Norway please

Post by arthurmomatrix »

I seem to be overwhelmed across the board in Norway. Is there a "best point" to concentrate on? Ships in particular come out of nowhere!
JR
Rood

RE: Tips on Norway please

Post by Rood »

I know the feeling [:D].

Anyway I did the following to get a decisive victory:
Near Trondheim, in the north, I deployed 2x inf and 1 art.
I got a strategic bomber to help with killing allied naval power.
I moved all my cruisers from the south towards the north asap (bombarding costal cities along the way).
I basically sacrificed my destroyers to get the allied cruisers and battleships, I used them as a 'screen' in front of my own heavy ships to keep them from getting detected and attacked first, and they got mauled in a pretty bad way.
Schnellbote and the lone sub are pretty good at bringing down the allied large ships, or at least put a dent in them.

As for the ground war. The paratroopers can pretty much take down the coastal towns on their own.
I found it important to move north asap. The middle of the map can be a real bottleneck if you don't move quickly.
Don't garrison any towns, there's little chance of a counter attack (if you kill all allied forces and don't let them retreat!)

I found it one of the more difficult scenarios (pretty much so until Bagration), especially since you still have inexperienced troops and poor equipment. I once played the Norway scenario as allied and won a easy victory however then the allied naval force was completely destroyed.

PS I always disliked the ability of any naval force to inflict so much damage on my ground force while they are 4-5 hexes from the coast. I can understand coastal bombardement but not that a naval force can attack ground forces some 60-100km away from the coast (assuming a hex is about 15-25km).
JKG

Post by JKG »

What has worked for me is rather similar (Coronel):

Northern amphibious assault : I use 1 infantry, 1 armor, and 1 artillery. The goal for these units is to move to contact but not start the offensive on Trondheim until the bulk of the allied navy moves south and German air units can be repositioned to support them. I find most of the allied navy will move south in chase of the German navy. Take out the allied fighter to free up you air transport so that once you have taken the southern coastal towns your 3 paratroopers that can perform a second drop north of Steinkjer and either southeast or southwest of the northern-most town of Namos. Again, move to contact. Once you have captured Trondheim, you can move your artillery and air (BF110c and I bought a He111, although I've accomplished same without it) to suport the assault on Namos.

Southern amphibious assault: This has been the easiest part for me. Unlike Rood, I use the German navy to take out the coastal battery and support the assault on Oslo and Honefoss. After about turn 5, I release them to engage the allied navy. In the south, I deploy my 2 self-propelled arty to allow a little quicker support of my infantry on the move. I rarely take both Lillehammer and Elverum and never really join the northern and southern assualt groups.

With this strategy, I've been successful without too much difficulty. The German navy goest to the bottom of course but I've never lost too much sleep over it. I think the 4 most important aspects for me are (1) draw the allied navy south, (2) move to contact with cities to prevent placement of new units but wait to underake offensive operations, and (3) use artillery and air support to sequentially roll one city after another south to north, and (4) conduct a second paradrop to the north...it is by far the quickest way to reinforce your meager northern force.

Hope this gives you some ideas for your game.
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

These are all really good tips. I wrote about this in another thread, and was beginning to feel like a bit of an idiot because I kept getting crushed. I would stress the importance of buying one JU88 to help in the naval fight. The addition of a strategic bomber is hugely beneficial to taking out the Royal Navy quickly. Also, I noticed that the AI likes to park a couple cruisers, and the aircraft carrier in the northern most inlet. With a strategic bomber you can clean them out quickly, and your ground forces won't take such a brutal pounding.

MJ

Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
arthurmomatrix

Post by arthurmomatrix »

Rood, JKG and MJ - many thanks indeed for the tips and moral support. This used to be a tough one in the original PG but I can't remember it being this tough!! Its great to be in there trying all over again however - in windows 7! (PG Forever almost did the business but this is worth the entrance fee most definitely - love the graphics.....)
Thanks again
JR
Bentusi

Post by Bentusi »

I haven`t used a strat bomber for this but it does sound like a good idea. Instead I used the paratroopers to seize the three southern airfields, then reembarked them to the mountains east of Namsos. The one near Oslo can take a few rounds longer than the other two but together three or possibly four paratroopers can take out the north almost alone and will take less damage than the units dumped south of Trondheim.
Sending all the navy north immediately will also relieve the troops in the north, and the Oslo paratroopers can easily take out the fort alone before clearing the airfield, so you can send the two battleships north on the first round.
Also the mountain infantry is excellent in Norway and can move easily from Bergen to the north west or up the eastern valleys rapidly for more prestige. Ideally the infantry should be a mix of paratroopers and mountain, although you won`t be able to afford all that many. Remember that you shouldn`t give these troops transport or they`ll lose their mobility in mountains and their airplane deployment initially.

Also armor is virtually useless in Norway so don`t invest in tanks until the Low Countries.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Can only add what has been said allready.
Level Bombers are your best bet against the British. However from the northern LZ, I move south first, to kill the British units that tends to land in the city to the south, then I move them inlands to aid the units in the south passing through the bottleneck.

I also convert 2 core inf into paratroopers. The non-core units are then used to take Stavanger, Kristiansand, Fredrikstad/Moss (do not recall what city they use in the game). The ones that take Stavanger and Kristiansand are then sent all the way to the north where they land in the mountains east of the northern most city. My core paras land in the city ESE of Trondheim and take that city before assaulting Trondheim.

My naval units are sent north ASAP.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
PKH

Post by PKH »

I got a dv on the last turn with the following:
Used almost all infantry, artillery and bombers. I had 1 tank I believe.
I had 4 tactical bombers, and 2 fighters.
Placed 2 infantry + 1 artillery in the north. Also flew the paratroopers north and landed near my other units. Took over the airport at Trondheim, and used the tactical bombers to help destroy units and ships.
Gathered all warships outside Bergen, then moved them north, destroying anything that showed up. Keep the smaller boats in front as spotters, and let them take the damage. I destroyed all visible enemy ships by the end.
In the south, I had 3 infantry near Bergen, and the rest near Kristiansand. These just take the objectives here, and meet up in Oslo. The south is easy, the north I just finished in time. Maybe level bombers would have been better vs the ships.

Return to “The War Room”