Question for my British friends across the pond

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Alan Sharif

RE: Question for my British friends across the pond

Post by Alan Sharif »

Inspite of my surname I am English born and bred, I simply have an all year tan that is the envy of my friends and colleagues. I drink tea every day, as hot as possible, and whilst I used to have a little milk I have been drinking it black for around six months now.
Like most people here this is seldom in a cup and saucer, through there is a 1940's style cafe in Stratford Upon Avon I visted around a month ago that does serve tea this way, and not in bags either!
A Sharif
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

I often drink tea from a half-a-litre mug.
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Definitely a tea guy here. That's why we were so pissed that you threw it all in the river!

Harbor, sir. We threw it in Boston Harbor.

Or "harbour", if that is more your cup of tea.
[:)]
WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Someone showed me loose tea leaves years ago and I haven't used a bag since.
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I have a ball with a chain and a spoon type. But when it is 120f 50c it is cold tea, Luzziane preferred over Lipton and black. McDonalds sweet tea is the perfect quick fix on the road.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Yorkshire Gold, some honey and milk, or rock crystals. Always loose leaf tea for the best cup.

I prefer coffee in the morning and lots of tea in the afternoon.

Coffee temperature should be around 200 degrees in a French Press for 4 minutes.

Green tea around 160 degrees and steep for 2 minutes. You can infuse the same leaves again and add a little time for green tea. The color and taste become more subtle with each infusion, usually no more than 3 times.

Black Tea, 212 degrees and steep for about 3-4 minutes.

Yes I use a thermometer for checking the temperature and yes it makes a difference in taste.

Brunn makes the best coffee maker in my opinion, and there are LOTS of opinions. Coffee should always be ground fresh and then used immediately. If you are really into it you can buy your own roaster, but I just can't get myself to take that next step.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

Reminds me of the coffee/tea thread at wargamer a while ago.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Besides tea, I drink a lot of cocoa.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

There was a scene in A Bridge Too Far, where the Brits stopped to have tea instead of rushing towards Arnhem. That wasn't for real, was it??
Tony
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Treale

There was a scene in A Bridge Too Far, where the Brits stopped to have tea instead of rushing towards Arnhem. That wasn't for real, was it??
Warspite1

There was a scene in the film Gallipoli. Apparently the Aussies were sent to their deaths while the British sat on the beach drinking tea [8|]. Yeah right.......

Sadly, the stereotype of our preoccupation with drinking tea, helps make us an easy target for Hollywood (and anyone else who wants to have a go) [:(].

Anyway enough of all that, its 7.30am and I need to get started as I have a full day of household chores to get through. Mmmmm....to hell with that, I think I'll have a nice cuppa instead.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Definitely a tea guy here. That's why we were so pissed that you threw it all in the river!

Harbor, sir. We threw it in Boston Harbor.

Or "harbour", if that is more your cup of tea.
Warspite1

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Warspite1

There was a scene in the film Gallipoli. Apparently the Aussies were sent to their deaths while the British sat on the beach drinking tea [8|]. Yeah right.......

Sadly, the stereotype of our preoccupation with drinking tea, helps make us an easy target for Hollywood (and anyone else who wants to have a go) [:(].

Anyway enough of all that, its 7.30am and I need to get started as I have a full day of household chores to get through. Mmmmm....to hell with that, I think I'll have a nice cuppa instead.

According to Anthony Beevor in the book "The Battle for Normandy" a large portion of the Brittish soldiers made a cup of tea after they had landed on Sword beach. Some made the tea while they still were under enemy fire. This irritaded the navy personel that still had to run landing ships under fire.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Warspite1

According to Anthony Beevor in the book "The Battle for Normandy" a large portion of the Brittish soldiers made a cup of tea after they had landed on Sword beach. Some made the tea while they still were under enemy fire. This irritaded the navy personel that still had to run landing ships under fire.
Warspite1

Of course there are a number of vignettes that can be told. There was a scene in the film A Bridge Too Far:

Corporal Hancock: Sir.
[Offers mug of tea]
Major General Urquhart: Hancock. I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived. My communications are completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?
Corporal Hancock: Couldn't hurt, sir.
[Urquhart accepts his mug of tea]

The stereotypical pre-occupation with tea can be used to convey humour, a stiff upper lip/defiant attitude or indeed (and as some film makers love) to show the British in the worst possible light - Gallipoli being a typical crass example.

JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Warspite1

That'd be right, using up all the hot water.

Being a former colony or 6, lots of tea is drunk in OZ, Coffee is getting into the act now we are past the Nescafe instant stage.
The influx of migrants means we get Greek, Turkish coffee as well as, unfortunatley, starbucks and Gloria Jeans,

I drink far too much Tea, Black and no sugar. (Also do Chai the right way!!) Used to work where the milk looked like Yougurt and the mice left deposits in the sugar. I also like to set up the coffee machine and brew a pot occaisionally.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Orm

Post by Orm »

Of course there are a number of vignettes that can be told. There was a scene in the film A Bridge Too Far:

[Offers mug of tea]
Major General Urquhart: Hancock. I've got lunatics laughing at me from the woods. My original plan has been scuppered now that the jeeps haven't arrived. My communications are completely broken down. Do you really believe any of that can be helped by a cup of tea?

The stereotypical pre-occupation with tea can be used to convey humour, a stiff upper lip/defiant attitude or indeed (and as some film makers love) to show the British in the worst possible light - Gallipoli being a typical crass example.
In my humble opinion this scene puts Corporal Hancock and General Urquhart in the best possible light. There is a time when there is no time for tea. This one is obviously not such a time so a cup of tea can indeed not hurt here. [:)]

Gallipoli, on the other hand, I am told is a movie that does it utmost to put the British at their worst. It is such a long time since I saw this movie that I do not remember anything at all.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

[Offers mug of tea]

In my humble opinion this scene puts Corporal Hancock and General Urquhart in the best possible light. There is a time when there is no time for tea. This one is obviously not such a time so a cup of tea can indeed not hurt here. [:)]

Gallipoli, on the other hand, I am told is a movie that does it utmost to put the British at their worst. It is such a long time since I saw this movie that I do not remember anything at all.
Warspite1

Exactly - its a humorous vignette and works well.

Gallipoli was an excellent film that, quite rightly, honours the sacrifice of Aussie troops during the ill-fated campaign. It has a superb soundtrack (Jean michel Jarre and Albinoni - great combo!).

sprior

Post by sprior »

I have a ball with a chain

I do too, but she pefers to be called Mrs P.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

sprior

Post by sprior »

The RN drinks tea almost th the exclusion of coffee at sea. Even the Missile Comprtment of SSBNs has a boiler for making tea. (First thing you do when taking over the watch - drink tea. One of the last things, make sure the boiler is full and hot for the next watch).
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

redcoat

Post by redcoat »

I think the British Army pretty much runs on “Strong British blend” NAAFI Break Tea.

NAAFI tea is currently for sale on the Ringtons website and 50p from the sale of each box goes to Help for Heroes.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I've just watched Doctor Who with the kids (recorded from yesterday) and what did he say? "Nothing like a nice cuppa"

Well if its good enough for the Doctor.....[:)]

Return to “General Discussion”