RE: 1.04.36 KLilly vs Fulkerson T7

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

larryfulkerson

RE: 1.04.39 KLilly vs Fulkerson T38

Post by larryfulkerson »

Unfortunately, air bases aren't on the list of things I can buy. Anybody know if they are EVER available? Maybe I should check that Soviet unit list and see. Hold on one minute. I went through the list of things the Soviets can create and didn't see airbases on it. I guess that means I'll have to bump all the existing air bases up to the max level and fix damaged planes by moving them to the NR. Maybe the AI will create some air bases for me to use in some future turn real soon now.

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (44.24 KiB) Viewed 41 times
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I've got 381 AP's to spend on something and I'm still ahead in trucks so far. What should I buy? Tank Corps? I've got a lot of tanks in the pool. I don't think I need any more rifle divisions yet, I've got reserves of those. Maybe some arty tubes? I haven't built any separate arty tubes yet. Just a thought.

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (17.08 KiB) Viewed 41 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I bought 3 Rifle Divisions and left them parked on Tula since they are frozen for a couple of turns. I have been moving units ( I started in the north and am working my way south ) and found a spot that has no back-up units. It's just a naked division between the Axis and Russia. So I guess I need to purchase some back-up units to get ready for the spring/summer '42 Axis offensive 'cause I'm pretty sure that KLilly have have enough time to rest/refit his units a bit and still get in some kind of a strong push maybe a pocket or two before the mud starts to hid prior to winter again. So I have to prepare for it. Just in case.

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (155.06 KiB) Viewed 41 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's that naked spot in the front lines I mentioned above. I have the 10th Army ( tourcoiuze color ) racing to the area even as we speak to make some back-up lines and dig in to build forts. Maybe I should spend some of those AP's on forts?

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (350.6 KiB) Viewed 41 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's my T38 moves with an overlay showing my attacks:

Attachments
frontlines.gif
frontlines.gif (2.91 MiB) Viewed 41 times
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the OOB, losses, destroyed units and production for T38

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (1.1 MiB) Viewed 41 times
randallw

Post by randallw »

Putting the tank corps together will be expensive; you'll use up all those 500 APs in one turn and still have to wait for the next turn to finish all the conversions.

Mixing units of different commands produces penalties in combat power; it shows in the battle report where the units are listed.

The computer will automatically build more airbases as more air units are deployed on the screen.
randallw

Post by randallw »

You should be hitting mud turns soon, then ground dries up and the panzer corps will be trying to go wild again, so it certainly is time to think about defensive lines and fort levels.
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

i realy doubt that you need to build any forts larry. in his state the german can not even start a local attack.you have him on the run so continue attacking! because we want a realistic game act like stalin and order them to attack attack attack.:)

you are doing totaly different then in your first game larry. congratulation on that.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: randallw
Putting the tank corps together will be expensive; you'll use up all those 500 APs in one turn and still have to wait for the next turn to finish all the conversions.
I've saved up a bunch of AP's to do the tanks ( 380+ ).
Mixing units of different commands produces penalties in combat power; it shows in the battle report where the units are listed.
Oh. Okie dokie. That answers that.
The computer will automatically build more airbases as more air units are deployed on the screen.
I thought so. Thanks.
You should be hitting mud turns soon, then ground dries up and the panzer corps will be trying to go wild again, so it certainly is time to think about defensive lines and fort levels.
I've already started building fall-back lines and digging for fortifications.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: bigbaba
i realy doubt that you need to build any forts larry. in his state the german can not even start a local attack.you have him on the run so continue attacking! because we want a realistic game act like stalin and order them to attack attack attack.:)
I hope so. I don't want to spend any more AP's on forts than I have to. I'm relying on the RR Construction brigades to help my dudes dig their fortifications and I agree that I shouldn't need any forts, except maybe in those areas where he's parked his tanks or something.
ORIGINAL: bigbaba
you are doing totaly different then in your first game larry. congratulation on that.
I've been reading AAR's and practicing against the AI, and I think maybe it's helping. But thanks for noticing.
wpurdom

Post by wpurdom »

If memory serves, you're getting close to when you can combine infantry brigades into divisions. Isn't it cheaper to buy brigades and then make divisions in May or whenever?

It's hard for me to judge how much the German army is going to come back during the mud. If you feel an urge to buy forts, you could think about withdrawing brigades from the front and putting them to digging entrenchments, instead. And brigades are cheaper to buy than forts if memory serves, but more versatile after May.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: wpurdom
If memory serves, you're getting close to when you can combine infantry brigades into divisions. Isn't it cheaper to buy brigades and then make divisions in May or whenever?
Yeah, the brigades are 5 AP's apiece and the Rifle Division is 20 AP's and three brigades makes a division.......when I'm able to do that......which will be soon now. Good idea. Thanks.
It's hard for me to judge how much the German army is going to come back during the mud. If you feel an urge to buy forts, you could think about withdrawing brigades from the front and putting them to digging entrenchments, instead. And brigades are cheaper to buy than forts if memory serves, but more versatile after May.
Yeah, having brigades digging forts is a good idea. I've got them either in the front lines or building fall-back lines. I am going to start building Rifle Divisions with them sometime in April I think it is. And soon after that I'm gonna build Rifle Corps for selected places in the front line. There's plenty of spots where the Axis is still a viable threat and those spots need buffing up.
wpurdom

Post by wpurdom »

Unless it has been changed in a recent revision, you can make a division out of 2 brigades as well as 3.

Flaviusx recently implied that if you build a corps from 2 divisions and a brigade, the establishment of the corps is permanently less. I've been assuming there's no drawback to 2 brigade divisions, but I could be wrong.

Calling Flaviusx or other playtesters - is there any drawback to using 2 brigades to make a division instead of three?
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Unless it has been changed in a recent revision, you can make a division out of 2 brigades as well as 3.
I did not know that. Thanks. But I'm wondering about the "establishment of the Corps" below.
Flaviusx recently implied that if you build a corps from 2 divisions and a brigade, the establishment of the corps is permanently less. I've been assuming there's no drawback to 2 brigade divisions, but I could be wrong.
Just to be clear.....I'm reading your sentence as saying "the max CV of the full-grown Corps is permanently less than it would have been if the Corps were produced in any other way than from 2 divisions and a brigade".
Calling Flaviusx or other playtesters - is there any drawback to using 2 brigades to make a division instead of three?
Note to Developers : I'd like to know the answer to what kinds of drawbacks exist in building Corps in the various ways. Please.
wpurdom

Post by wpurdom »

If you are a good searcher, Flavius did a post where he advised against building a corps out of two divisions and a brigade. I wouldn't know where to find it now. I can't recall anything close to the words he used, but I understood his remark as meaning that a corps created in that manner had a permanently lower establishment than one built with three divisions. I assumed that he had picked up this morsel from the playtester experience and was accurate.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

No, it is not a permanently lower establishment. But it will take a while for the TOE to adjust.

If you're going to build a corps, use 3 good rifle divisions every time: that way you are guaranteed a strong corps, possibly over TOE. Building weak corps is a false economy. They are supposed to be monsters and there's no point in skimping on them. And pack them with 3 attachments for good measure. The resulting corps will be ready to make an impression in battle immediately. A wimpy rifle corps formed with a brigade will have to take in replacements before it tops off.

And build the guards corps first, all other things being equal.

As for brigades, my philosophy has always been to get rid of them ASAP and replace them with divisions, 2 per. They all go away for me on May of 1942. They are the spawn of the devil.

WitE Alpha Tester
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx
No, it is not a permanently lower establishment. But it will take a while for the TOE to adjust.
Thank you very much. I'll heed your advice about building Corps too. Game tested advice at last.

EDIT: Here's the T39 ( 12Mar1942 ) front lines with an overlay showing my recon flights

Attachments
front lines.gif
front lines.gif (2.97 MiB) Viewed 41 times
larryfulkerson

RE: 1.04.39 KLilly vs Fulkerson T39

Post by larryfulkerson »

Here's the situation NE of Riga. It's like KLilly is daring me to overrun his troops. I've reconed the area and I'm thinking that if he leaves
the area denuded of troops like that I may be able to gain a lot of territory, probably after the mud season. This is the wrong time for this
to happen because he's due to gain back his CV strength really really soon now. I'll be in unfortified terrain for the spring '42 Axis
offensive. Poor timing. If only I could start buildiing Rifle Corps already. But alas, no. The prudent thing to do might be just to be happy
with the status quo and let sleeping dogs lay.

Attachments
frontlines.gif
frontlines.gif (945.19 KiB) Viewed 41 times
larryfulkerson

RE: 1.04.39 KLilly vs Fulkerson T39

Post by larryfulkerson »

This is a picture of the Gomel area and I'm showing it because it's typical of the situation along a lot of the front lines in that my CV's are too low to make an impact and his CV's haven't re-grown high enough yet to make an impact so we're just staring at each other through the binoculars gathering strength and digging fortifications.

Attachments
zairlosses.gif
zairlosses.gif (386.47 KiB) Viewed 41 times

Return to “After Action Reports”