USS Cassin Young

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Skyros

USS Cassin Young

Post by Skyros »

Pascal_slith

RE: USS Cassin Young

Post by Pascal_slith »

I've visited this ship numerous times. It would be waste to let it get scrapped. It needs to be in a permanent dry dock. Sounds like the dry dock in Portsmouth brought back to Boston would really be the cheapest solution.
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

jmalter

Post by jmalter »

thanks for posting the link, Skyros.

i'm given to think that history is what we choose to remember. the corollary to that is, the things we choose to ignore or let pass away will be lost to our history.

awhile back, i had some peripheral involvement w/ the transfer of USS Requin (SS-481) from a grounded, near-derelict condition in Tampa, FL to her present home in Pittsburgh, PA (it wasn't a low-dollar operation). it's my understanding that while the US Navy retains ownership of its de-commisioned warships, it does not provide funding for their upkeep/repair/movement. Those costs must be borne by the organization (public or private) to which the ship has been consigned, & those costs will be high, especially if it's open to the public.

Such a ship must undergo Coast Guard inspections, and must meet standards for seaworthiness, emergency equipment & interior ventilation. the organization's insurer will require adherence to those standards, qualified tour-guide personnel, & off-hours security. IOW, the usual definition of a boat as "a black hole in the water into which you throw money."

that said, i don't see why these costs must be borne w/o US Navy aid. Our National Park Service is gasping for funds, as are private orgs such as USS Intrepid & LST-325. Surely the Navy could throw some bucks to (at least) the neediest cases of our historic warships? Public demand required the preservation of USS Constitution herself, thanks to Holmes' poem "Old Ironsides" and the subsequent 'school-children's pennies' campaign. Thanks to those efforts, USS Constitution survives today as the oldest warship afloat & a celebration of Navy pride to all US citizens.

seems to me, a v. small %age of current Navy funds invested in the preservation of old warships could pay large dividends in popular support, 20 or 50 years from now. 'cos history is comprised of those things that we choose to remember.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Unfortunately cuts have to come from somewhere and old DDs don't vote...
Pascal_slith

Post by Pascal_slith »

The USS Olympia in Philadelphia is also in need of extensive repairs. This is the last remaining ship to have taken part in the Spanish-American War (this was George Dewey's flagship at the Battle of Manila).

As long as we waste money on bridges to nowhere and other assorted stupid pet projects of intellectually-challenged Congressmen, the money doesn't look like it will arrive.

Time for some billionaire white knight....
So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Thanks for the read. I walked the Constitution 8 years ago and didn't know of the Cassin Young until I arrived. The old DD was in marvelous shape and quite an experience to walk through.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

walked the DD and the Constitution back in 08. Both were in good condition. Tough choices ahead. Now we know how the British felt after WWII.

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Sad, but of the two, I would rather they found to funds to save the Olympia.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
reg113

Post by reg113 »

Something needs to be did for the both of them [&:]
"Life's a b***h, then you die."
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Sad, but of the two, I would rather they found to funds to save the Olympia.

True....Olympia is unique at this point, like USS Texas.

goodboyladdie

Post by goodboyladdie »

I agree. We lost the best candidate for a memorial when Warspite was broken up where she lay. It would be a shame to lose Olympia. Isn't Texas in sand to stop rust being an issue?

Art by the amazing Dixie
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

I agree. We lost the best candidate for a memorial when Warspite was broken up where she lay. It would be a shame to lose Olympia. Isn't Texas in sand to stop rust being an issue?

Don't believe so. She was originally beached on a mudflat which allowed the hull to seriously deteriorate. She was refloated, patched up and a new floating pier was dredged out for her. I visited her back in 99 shortly after the work had been completed. Restoration is ongoing though. A number of key areas are still off limits.....not that i didn't try getting into them anyway. I was very disapointed that none of the magazines were open, nor were the boiler rooms. One engine room was open.

Would love to see Olympia one of these days along with U-505

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”