Latest news...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ASHBERY76

RE: Latest news...

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I hope leaders and admirals have some sort of personality traits like in the Totalwar games,just having flat stats like wargames and EU3 has is very dull.I would also like to see the Admiral name in the fleet UI as that screenshot does not have one.
Igard

Post by Igard »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I hope leaders and admirals have some sort of personality traits like in the Totalwar games,just having flat stats like wargames and EU3 has is very dull.I would also like to see the Admiral name in the fleet UI as that screenshot does not have one.

Yes, give our characters some 'character'. Make them more than just assets. Make us actually care about them.
Data

Post by Data »

Care enough to make beards for them [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Igard

Post by Igard »

I was just wondering about something. How do we all feel about having a portrait for each character? I know the total wars games pull this off really well, but could the same thing be done here? With a new artist coming on board, this might be something worth considering.

Or, does this really matter? I'm not sure if it does to me TBH. For modding purposes, it presents some problems. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.
Data

Post by Data »

imho it's worth it only if that portrait can be used for skill management somehow....kinda like in rpg games. Aside from that it's just eye candy.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

portraits are fun, doesn't need to be too many per race, if you can customize the picture.

but its not a huge deal breaker for me, does not really effect game play
nammafia

Post by nammafia »

Yes, characters without traits, personalities are dull and bring the game down. I hope they implement a few of the suggestions in the wish list. I here hope characters assassination and defection are allowed. Rebellious characters are also fun. I really hate 100% royal characters.
nammafia
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Data: I recall the polls had the ability to mod/tweak the game as the number 1 request.

Question 1) How do you feel about the game devs adding extra features instead of focusing on dumping all the game stats/variables into an easily edited external file?
Question 2) How late do you think the devs can wait before the opportunity to interest the most skilled modders is lost?

The expansion after next will likely be ten to twelve months off. I fear the window will be closed and the more skilled/dedicated modders will have moved on.

Modding topped the poll for this next expansion. The ability to mod the newly added characters and governments has been mentioned.
Question 3) (to game dev) Will any of the existing game variables be exported to easily edited files in the next expansion?
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

To be honest I would never buy an expansion that did not have lots of new gameplay features.This community is too small for modders in my view.One needs a Totalwar size community to make mods worth it.SpaceEmpires5 was totally open for modders to do total conversions but you never saw anything done with it.

I think that Elliot does not want to open up the game anyway,that is pretty clear by now.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

I do not like the idea of culture or having loads of population giving any increase to a sphere of influence.That is an unrealistic concept without any frame of reference or basis in reality.
Indeed. I think it depends on both type of culture and size of population. Look at china for intance. It didnt make much of influence for hundreds of years even though they had huge population. But I remember that it was like part of their culture to mind their own business only. In example they had the means to sail the seas before columbus even but didnt really bother with it. And then some small country like portugal goes and takes it all.

Only lately has china started to expand their border of influence. Ive heard they have som projects in east-africa.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

I do not like the idea of culture or having loads of population giving any increase to a sphere of influence.That is an unrealistic concept without any frame of reference or basis in reality.
Indeed. I think it depends on both culture and size of population. Look at china for intance. It didnt make much of influence for hundreds of years even though they had huge population. But I remember that it was like part of their culture to mind their own business only. In example they had the means the sail the seas before columbus even but didnt really bother to do it. And then some small country like portugal goes and takes it all.

Indeed I hate gamey systems just added for no realistic reason.Things have to make sence in games or you lose the immersion.Kinda like a culture spacestation parked by Earth would convert it to an Alien empire,yeah right.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Igard
I was just wondering about something. How do we all feel about having a portrait for each character? I know the total wars games pull this off really well, but could the same thing be done here? With a new artist coming on board, this might be something worth considering.
Or, does this really matter? I'm not sure if it does to me TBH. For modding purposes, it presents some problems. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.
Personally, I would enjoy this... but is it necessary like you ask?
Really the question on the table is: how many portraits would you have to have??? It would depend on how many different characters you have. If you have 5 Admirals, 5 Scientists, 5 Generals, 5 Spies... that could end up to be a whole lotta portraits.
Multiply that for each race!!!!

Might be a resource hog... diskspace wise that is

I really like the idea, but it would be a HUGE undertaking.
Of course, not so hard for US to mod... [;)]
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Data

Post by Data »

Data: I recall the polls had the ability to mod/tweak the game as the number 1 request.

Yap, that was my first vote....as the mooniac that I am I really want to see good / well designed characters in the game.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
Really the question on the table is: how many portraits would you have to have??? It would depend on how many different characters you have. If you have 5 Admirals, 5 Scientists, 5 Generals, 5 Spies... that could end up to be a whole lotta portraits.

If nothing else it would be nice to have at least two, 1 male generic and 1 female generic for each race. Just saying. [;)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Harmonious Hegemony

Post by Harmonious Hegemony »

I have to disagree with ASHBERY76's comment about mods for SEV. IMHO, Cap'n Kwok's Balance Mod saved the game. One good mod can really make a difference, and I think that based on many of the comments that appear in this forum most can imagine a place for a really good mod in DW as well. The hardest part is to find someone who has the time, imagination and dedication to put in all the effort that it requires.
Data

Post by Data »

I would say time is the only problem but imagination and dedication? So many names spring to mind.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Shark7
ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

If nothing else it would be nice to have at least two, 1 male generic and 1 female generic for each race. Just saying. [;)]

Shark: Now that is an excellent idea... give us two generic (and then adding to your idea) but leave it open to add a few more!
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: Data
I would say time is the only problem but imagination and dedication? So many names spring to mind.

I agree, there are many talented people on this forum...
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Pictures a Dhayut with a blonde wig.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Pictures a Dhayut with a blonde wig.

Isn't that just a Dhayut spy? [:'(]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”