Defence strenght in 3.4 patch

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

ColinWright

RE: Defence strenght in 3.4 patch

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: Telumar

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

Bastogne
Col.Frost at Arnhem bridge
Seelow Heights

...but these things tend to involve some unusual factor -- whereas TOAW needs to model the typical. We don't want an engine that delivers correct results for 5% of the outcomes -- and results that are totally off for 95%.

As I recall...

At Bastogne, the Germans never figured they would take the town immediately. They were primarly concerned to seal it off -- which they did.

Frost at Arnhem bridge had a rather small area to defend. Two houses, if I recall correctly

Seelowe Heights was the most impressive example of the late-war German tactic of preparing an entire alternative set of positions and then redeploying into them at the last minute, allowing the Russian sledgehammer to hit vacant ground.

Let's account 'unusual factors' for Arnhem bridge and even Seelow. But Bastogne seems more like a 'typical' example. After all the Germans were not content with just isolating it. They actually attacked.

I'm sure they gave it an experimental poke.

I'm not that familiar with the course of operations around Bastogne, but in general, much of German tactics in World War Two could be summarized as giving things a poke, and if they don't give, go around, or at least try poking elsewhere.

Quite likely the 82nd Airborne could have held Bastogne no matter what the Germans threw at it. But did the Germans seriously try to prove the contrary? That's another matter.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

If any change is called for, it might be to both make 'fortified' -- as opposed to 'defending,' or 'entrenched' -- status harder to attain, and to make it still easier for units moving into the same hex to take over that status. Some French division moving into the line at Verdun didn't take more than a few hours to be substantially as fortified as its predecessor.

Wouldn't fortified 'terrain' be appropriate? For Verdun i mean. However, your proposal has its merits.
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

If any change is called for, it might be to both make 'fortified' -- as opposed to 'defending,' or 'entrenched' -- status harder to attain, and to make it still easier for units moving into the same hex to take over that status. Some French division moving into the line at Verdun didn't take more than a few hours to be substantially as fortified as its predecessor.

Wouldn't fortified 'terrain' be appropriate? For Verdun i mean. However, your proposal has its merits.

Oh I agree Verdun should be 'fortified.' However (a) it might be rendered harder to attain to that status, while still relatively easy to attain to 'entrenched,' and (b) once attained, a relieving unit should be able to move into the hex and inherit the status within the same turn.

Else situations like Verdun and Stalingrad become virtually impossible to simulate. Units were literally consumed in these places, and their replacements moved in and immediately almost became 'fortified' in their stead. It wasn't like it took a couple of turns.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: sapper32

...The co'operation level is ok same colour flags in the attack planner...

I have the impression those flags can be hinky, depending on what order you click on the units.

I don't place too much faith in them to begin with, so I haven't studied what they do carefully, but it does seem as if you can select -- say -- an artillery unit that can cooperate with everyone and the program will then answer the question 'can this unit cooperate with everyone?'

The answer of course is 'yes,' and all the flags go green. However, click on another unit and you may get a different array of flags. Yes, a will cooperate with b and c. But what about b cooperating with c?

You're not alone.[;)]

i would think that the flags, no matter what they indicate, well.. they just indicate and don't have an influence on the actual combat calculations..

But after all, there remains a certain uncertainity [:D]... Bob to the rescue..
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

As to Bastogne, on the one hand, it was the 101st, not the 82nd Airborne. On the other hand, the Wikipedia account makes it clear that the Germans did not give priority to taking the place. Once they had established it was strongly held, they went around, leaving it to one Volksgrenadier division to do what it could.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bastogne
I am not Charlie Hebdo
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

Oh I agree Verdun should be 'fortified.' However (a) it might be rendered harder to attain to that status, while still relatively easy to attain to 'entrenched,' and (b) once attained, a relieving unit should be able to move into the hex and inherit the status within the same turn.

Else situations like Verdun and Stalingrad become virtually impossible to simulate. Units were literally consumed in these places, and their replacements moved in and immediately almost became 'fortified' in their stead. It wasn't like it took a couple of turns.

There is already some effect built into the engine as the chances for attaining a 'higher/better' entrenchment status increase with the entrenchment level in the hex. And if a unit has already attained fortified status in one hex the entrenchment level in that hex should be relatively high. Note that dense urban 'terrain' has a default entrenchment level of 30%. But who am i telling this..

However i think you're right and the effect should be more emphasized. Which OTH would mean even further strengthening the defense in TOAW ...

Note that there is also the 'issue' of campaign scenarios vs mere battle scenarios. In a scenario merely dealing with, say Verdun, it would be aproppriate to make the hexes in question fortified terrain. Not so with a scenario dealing with the entire western front of WWI - who can predict what will happen..?
Pity we can't construct fortifications in TOAW. Things to think about for IV..
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

As to Bastogne, on the one hand, it was the 101st, not the 82nd Airborne. On the other hand, the Wikipedia account makes it clear that the Germans did not give priority to taking the place. Once they had established it was strongly held, they went around, leaving it to one Volksgrenadier division to do what it could.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Bastogne

Okay, have read it, you're right.

As to Bastogne, on the one hand, it was the 101st, not the 82nd Airborne.

Argh, and i was just about to lecture you ..[:D][;)]
Panama

Post by Panama »

Fortified simply means an area has been improved with defensive works. Entrenchment is a type of fortification and defensive works acheived by digging. Digging in is the act of entrenching. [:D][:D][:D]

Semantics aside, a fortified status should need engineering units. Not the engineers associated with a unit. A real engineer unit. It takes specialized equipment and supplies to build field works that would be classified as fortifications as opposed to simply entrenchments.

Any division has the ability to erect field works. But not any division has the ability to fortify an area. Mines, wires, communications, extensive clearing of lines of fire, extensive trenches, com centers, spotting posts, artillery direction centers. The list is long. It can't be done in one or two weeks without a large investment in manpower and resources.

Perhaps the fortified status should be removed completely or at the very least take a large number of engineering squads and transport.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I'm not dubious that there are dire effects. I exploited them.

That's why we have to rely on rigorous testing. Without rigor we end up "proving" cold fusion. Then the next thing you know we're burning witches at the stake. (This caution could be applied to most of this thread, by the way).

My tests were rigorous: Identical combats with the only difference being the cooperation levels. Just to be sure, I repeated them today. The results are shown in the attached table. There were six combats - three with the three cooperation levels for the attackers, and three with the three cooperation levels for the defenders. Five trials of each were summed to get the results.

Attachments
Cooperationresults.gif
Cooperationresults.gif (8.03 KiB) Viewed 81 times
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

As noted, in context I really find it impossible to take that assertion seriously. I suspect you merely prefer not to ask.

Then you will have no trouble selling that to the Matrix Officialdom. Email away.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: sapper32

...The co'operation level is ok same colour flags in the attack planner...

I have the impression those flags can be hinky, depending on what order you click on the units.

I don't place too much faith in them to begin with, so I haven't studied what they do carefully, but it does seem as if you can select -- say -- an artillery unit that can cooperate with everyone and the program will then answer the question 'can this unit cooperate with everyone?'

The answer of course is 'yes,' and all the flags go green. However, click on another unit and you may get a different array of flags. Yes, a will cooperate with b and c. But what about b cooperating with c?

You're not alone.[;)]

i would think that the flags, no matter what they indicate, well.. they just indicate and don't have an influence on the actual combat calculations..

But after all, there remains a certain uncertainity [:D]... Bob to the rescue..

Norm told me that cooperation was "best case". I've always assumed he was right.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

As noted, in context I really find it impossible to take that assertion seriously. I suspect you merely prefer not to ask.

Then you will have no trouble selling that to the Matrix Officialdom. Email away.

I would be in the ridiculous position of asking them to give you permission something to do something you haven't asked to do. Should I e-mail my neighbor's employer asking them if they can give him next Saturday off?

I won't speculate on your reasons for refusing to list what changes you are contemplating for the next patch. However, I'll repeat: in context, 'there's an NDA' is a pretty weak reed to lean on. In fact, it's more of an excuse -- and a thin one at that.

I'm confident that should you wish to list the proposed changes, you could ask, get permission, and list the proposed changes. If anything, given Matrix' obvious policy of maintaining interest in their products with a discussion board, etc on the one hand, and the equally obvious improbability of anyone exploiting the dubious commercial value of such a disclosure on the other, I have a hard time seeing why they would refuse. Their prerogative, of course, but it would make little sense.

I'm sure they do have an NDA. They don't want testers selling off the whole product line somehow. Whether they actually have any objection to open discussion of proposed changes is a different matter entirely. Besides, you claim to have openly listed the proposed changes in 3.4 and of course there was the beta. How could that be done without violating the NDA? Is the NDA only there when it suits you?

You claim you listed the proposed changes for 3.4. Okay, you did. So why can't you list the proposed changes for 3.41 or whatever this next one is to be?
I am not Charlie Hebdo
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

I'm not dubious that there are dire effects. I exploited them.

That's why we have to rely on rigorous testing. Without rigor we end up "proving" cold fusion. Then the next thing you know we're burning witches at the stake. (This caution could be applied to most of this thread, by the way).

My tests were rigorous: Identical combats with the only difference being the cooperation levels. Just to be sure, I repeated them today. The results are shown in the attached table. There were six combats - three with the three cooperation levels for the attackers, and three with the three cooperation levels for the defenders. Five trials of each were summed to get the results.

Hu...um. I'm glad you did that, and it's good you did, but at the same time, I saw what I saw. My (often limited cooperation themselves) attackers could gut any stack that contained non-cooperative units. It would even happen if my attack only went off at 'attacks weakly.' This in a scenario where the main weapon is light rifles, artillery is quite weak, and usually the defender is quite immovable.

I suppose I should run my own set of tests. It's hardly reasonable to ask you to look into an effect that your own test has just demonstrated isn't there.
I am not Charlie Hebdo
robryl

Post by robryl »

Dont know if Götterdammung is is a special case, but here the defenders are realy hard to throw back. As for the suggestions to weaken up the defender with arty, on the 30 turns i played, I have only managed to get the defender unfortified once! If someone who does more scenetific testes wants an save file where testing could bee done i could send it. Here whole Russian Armies, supported by the whole Front arty, Flank attacks Reg sized defenders. the only result beeing hard losses for the Attacker.
I fully agre that in a game like TOAW, you must bee able to plan your actions. And the the result should be fairly as expected if you know your self and the enemy ("know your tools") , unless the opponent doesent act as you had expected.
As fore the Bastonge example, the germans had not expected it to be defended by a elit airborne division, who when surrounded and outnumbered answered a call for surrender with the famous word, "Nuts"

Then of course as in Götterdammung, this isent enough. After 30 turn I start to know myself and the enemy. And the knowledge says that it doesent matter what i throw in, I cant move the defender.
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: Carolus Rex

Dont know if Götterdammung is is a special case, but here the defenders are realy hard to throw back. As for the suggestions to weaken up the defender with arty, on the 30 turns i played, I have only managed to get the defender unfortified once! If someone who does more scenetific testes wants an save file where testing could bee done i could send it. Here whole Russian Armies, supported by the whole Front arty, Flank attacks Reg sized defenders. the only result beeing hard losses for the Attacker.
I fully agre that in a game like TOAW, you must bee able to plan your actions. And the the result should be fairly as expected if you know your self and the enemy ("know your tools") , unless the opponent doesent act as you had expected.
As fore the Bastonge example, the germans had not expected it to be defended by a elit airborne division, who when surrounded and outnumbered answered a call for surrender with the famous word, "Nuts"

Then of course as in Götterdammung, this isent enough. After 30 turn I start to know myself and the enemy. And the knowledge says that it doesent matter what i throw in, I cant move the defender.

Send a sal to cariundel at yahoo de. Prefereably the beginning of a turn.
robryl

Post by robryl »

Mail sent
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

ORIGINAL: Carolus Rex

Thanks for the save file. Indeed defenders are hard to dislodge, but they're for the most part in well fortified and prepared positions and have a slightly higher unit proficiency. The thing is, just as in history, you'll have to get through at just one point. Don't expect to roll over the front on its length. Once you're through there are no more fortified and prepared positions for a while. At least for some hexes if we look at East Prussia..[8|]

You know that more than half of a Soviet artillery division's tubes have a range of 1? The 120mm Mortars, the 76mm and 152mm guns. Only the 122mm, 152mm ER and 203mm Guns have a range of two. The same with the artillery in the HQs. You will have to move it adjacent to the enemy unit to be attacked to get the entire artillery strength added to the combat. Either put it in T then it will add 50% of its strength to all adjacent battles (provided good cooperation) or order it to attack (it will bombard, not assault).

So, i ordered some assaults. It seems to be a weird thing that i am told by the attack planer to have a low chance for success and will probably suffer heavy losses with an assault ratio of 800+. As i understand it the attack ratio calculation doesn't take into account support units and attacker's passive defender equipment. Nor combat density or deployment...though the What's New .pdf states "there is a great deal of complexity behind the scenes that has been omitted from this description".
Whatever the combat planer tells us... we have to take into account a)the strong enemy positions (F), and b)combat density penalties. If you look at those hexes that contain only one of your Rifle Corps you won't see a density indicator. But if you move only one additional unit, say one support unit like an AT Bde, into that same hex it pops up. Yellow. Even red in some cases (hex 121/16 i.e. - One Gds Rifle Corps plus one small ferry unit). The bad thing is, the combat density indicator not showing up in a 'single unit hex' doesn't mean there is no combat density penalty. The good thing is, the more your troops get depleted the less you suffer from this penalty..[:D].
It seems not to be an engine problem, rather it looks like an issue of 'not optimal' scenario design.

I did some attacks and it seems to me the results have been in the realm of the reasonable and the to be expected. Some succeeded, some however went terribly wrong. After all we're the Soviets, so a certain degree of slaughter is to be expected. Here the link to download the .sal: Götterdämmerung 31_1.sal (file is too big to attach it directly to the post) with several attacks ordered. Just open, take a tour along the East Prussian and Polish front and hit resolve all attacks. I took care to minimize combat density penalty, get maximum cooperation and ensured as much artillery support as possible.
robryl

Post by robryl »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I have been thinking about the question regarding different range of art pieces in the same unit for some time. Dont realy know why I havent tested it, but I now realizes that it has costed the life of several tousands of russians...
When watching the battles resolved as you had planned, for the first time there was losses at the axis side. I now realizes that the importance of art has changed considerably since latest update (which is good since art was and is the big "killer")
Most attacks without artsupport (range 1 hex) however still had 0 % losses for axis side even if attacker outnumbered the defender big time, a bit wierd since the allied units on this level (mostly corps) has considerably amounts of arty incorporated in the unit.
It almost feels like cheating [:D] having been helped by one of the experts, but now my opponent will start to feel the real effeckt of my arty.
samba_liten

Post by samba_liten »

ORIGINAL: Panama

Fortified simply means an area has been improved with defensive works. Entrenchment is a type of fortification and defensive works acheived by digging. Digging in is the act of entrenching. [:D][:D][:D]

Semantics aside, a fortified status should need engineering units. Not the engineers associated with a unit. A real engineer unit. It takes specialized equipment and supplies to build field works that would be classified as fortifications as opposed to simply entrenchments.

Any division has the ability to erect field works. But not any division has the ability to fortify an area. Mines, wires, communications, extensive clearing of lines of fire, extensive trenches, com centers, spotting posts, artillery direction centers. The list is long. It can't be done in one or two weeks without a large investment in manpower and resources.

Perhaps the fortified status should be removed completely or at the very least take a large number of engineering squads and transport.
+1

However, perhaps semantics are the problem here. I always assumed the "f" status was something less than full blown engineered fortifications. More like "field fortifications", i.e. trench lines artillery and mg kill zones log bunkers etc.
If that is true, then fair enough, but i would still love to have the time it takes to construct one of these be dependent on how many engineer squads are present.

السلام عليكم
ColinWright

Post by ColinWright »

ORIGINAL: polarenper

ORIGINAL: Panama

+1

However, perhaps semantics are the problem here. I always assumed the "f" status was something less than full blown engineered fortifications. More like "field fortifications", i.e. trench lines artillery and mg kill zones log bunkers etc.
If that is true, then fair enough, but i would still love to have the time it takes to construct one of these be dependent on how many engineer squads are present.

Considering the variety of historical conditions TOAW tries to cover and the level of detail it can afford, I don't particularly want specialized fortification building units. In any case, note that engineers will accelerate digging in.

However, I think it's worth thinking about making 'fortified' status both take longer to achieve and be more inheritable than is currently the case -- without correspondingly extending the time for achieving 'defending' and 'entrenched' status.

I visualize 'defending' status as the unit having got itself out of march order. A line or perimeter has been set up, foxholes dug, communications established, artillery support worked out -- as much a matter of the unit being 'set' as of anything actually being dug up. While any relieving unit can save some time by just conforming to the dispositions already worked out, much of the 'work' in terms of settling in will have to be repeated anew.

'Entrenched' obviously implies some more extensive digging. Perhaps some buried phone lines. Actual trenches. Cover cleared away.

'Fortified' is the whole nine yards. The Western Front by 1915. Bunkers for all and communication trenches. Forward lines, a main line of resistance, etc. Such arrangements obviously take more than a week or two to establish -- and equally obviously, can be handed off in their entirety to another unit that can move in in the morning and be just as 'fortified' by that evening.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Return to “TOAW III Support”