retrofitting problem

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

trogdor826

retrofitting problem

Post by trogdor826 »

i have designed my own carriers and so on but when i tell them to retrofit they go back to basic design for that ship class. is there a way so it wont do that when you hit retrofit ship/fleet
ITS TROGDOR!! Burninating the country side, Burninating all the peasants, Burninating all the people!! Cause its TROGDOOOOR!!!
adecoy95

RE: retrofitting problem

Post by adecoy95 »

go into the ship design menu and obsolete all the other ships of that class, it should cause it to retrofit to the only available design
Data

Post by Data »

kinda restrictive but we don't have ship classes and subclasses atm to allow this kind of management
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
trogdor826

Post by trogdor826 »

classes such as capital and frigate, not like dreadnaugt and carrier
ITS TROGDOR!! Burninating the country side, Burninating all the peasants, Burninating all the people!! Cause its TROGDOOOOR!!!
trogdor826

Post by trogdor826 »

and adecoy thanks, saves me a pain from having to rebuild all my capitals.
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

ORIGINAL: adecoy95

go into the ship design menu and obsolete all the other ships of that class, it should cause it to retrofit to the only available design

Suppose you have a couple of slightly different designs of the same class that you want to work with. Using your suggestion of obsoleting all but one, you tell one of your older ships of that class to retrofit to the one you specifically left available. Shortly, thereafter, you have another ship of the same class that you want retrofitted to a slightly different spec. At that point, can you obsolete the first retrofitted design in favor of the second design without affecting the retrofitting of the first ship in progress or do you have to wait until the retrofitting of the first ship is totally complete before initiating the retrofitting of the second ship to the different design?
Member since January 2007 (as Gray_Lensman)

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Computering since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Just be careful when upgrading. The AI just loves the fusion reactor and calista drive. Even though I have Quantum and Equinox.
sbach2o

Post by sbach2o »

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

Suppose you have a couple of slightly different designs of the same class that you want to work with. Using your suggestion of obsoleting all but one, you tell one of your older ships of that class to retrofit to the one you specifically left available. Shortly, thereafter, you have another ship of the same class that you want retrofitted to a slightly different spec. At that point, can you obsolete the first retrofitted design in favor of the second design without affecting the retrofitting of the first ship in progress or do you have to wait until the retrofitting of the first ship is totally complete before initiating the retrofitting of the second ship to the different design?

Once a retrofit order is issued, it *should* be possible to obsolete the design something is retrofitting to.

I have had some weird effect once, though: retrofitting a Small Space Port to a Medium design changed only the name of the design in that instance, the installation was still a very outdated Small design when finished - number of construction yards and everything else remained that of a Small port. When I tried to rectify the situation, the right-click retrofit menu showed only my current Large and Small designs. So somehow the game was assuming the retrofit had succeeded while it clearly didn't.

I can only guess how that came to pass, and it might be connected to obsoleting a design while a retrofit order was being performed, More likely it was a completely different issue. I am not even sure the design the Space Port was supposed to retrofit to was at any time obsoleted. I'd have issued a bug report, if there had been any information available at the time I discovered that mishap, but there's virtually nothing I have in hand.

So, that being said, I am generally cautious with repeatedly (un-)obsoleting a given design. For ships, I rather issue all retrofit orders manually via the ships and bases screen. I keep all current variants of a ship class unobsolted. There are usually at most two such variants. I (multi-) select what I want to retrofit to the same design in the list of military ships, and when I click the 'Retrofit' button, I select the desired design from the list. That's it.
balto

Post by balto »

If you do manual ship design, you will never have any of these problems.., but it will ramp up the micromanagment 1000 times. The manual design of ships is the best part of Distant Worlds.

I think in time the AUTO feature will work better with patches, but until then.., put it on manual ship design and flush your real life down the toilet.., this game will suck you in.., like a black hole. Wow, that is pretty good.., "this game sucks you in like a black hole." Erik, do I get a discount on the next DW expansion for that?
Bentley264

Post by Bentley264 »

Simply hit F11, sort the ships by type, select whichever and hit retrofit to latest design. If it is all the same ship, you pick which design to retrofit too.
Bob
aprezto

Post by aprezto »

I use a naming convention to help with this:

A destroyer that is missile oriented might be called "Catapult" - but has the postscript: M
A destroyer that is a torpedo boat might be called "Kaiser" - but has postscript: T

This helps when I go to upgrade manually changed designs but even more when it comes to retrofiting.

Upgrading I use the non-obsolete filter and then the sub-category filter to find all destroyers. I'll then obsolete the old design (asterix on far left of the DD's row), and then auto-update. I'll then edit the new design for a once over - kind of things I'm looking for is the autoupdate adding the wrong reactor, shield, hyperdrive for my design philisophy this game.
When it comes to retrofitting all types with designs I go to the ships screen (not sure of keyboard shortcut), filter on type - this brings up all the destroyers. I then highlight all the DDs of postscript M, T etc and upgrade them with the corresponding updated blueprint.
Without this postscript I could never quite remember which name I'd given to which design and might start changing the composition of fleets, that may have been set up to be long range installation busters but now have DDs with short range beams!!
I still think this clunky, but it's what I do.

Image courtesy of Divepac
Jerkface

Post by Jerkface »

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Just be careful when upgrading. The AI just loves the fusion reactor and calista drive. Even though I have Quantum and Equinox.

Yes, the UI needs some way to say "never use this component, ever."
This would work for certain weapons as well...

Return to “The War Room”