Best AI in a turn-based wargame

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Valgua

Best AI in a turn-based wargame

Post by Valgua »

What's the best AI in a turn-based wargame that you have ever had the pleasure to encounter?

sterckxe

RE: Best AI in a turn-based wargame

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: Valgua
What's the best AI in a turn-based wargame that you have ever had the pleasure to encounter?

In no particular order :

War Plan Pacific
Birth of America
Anything by SSG
TOAW 3

Also, I hear the AI in Hannibal : Rome and Carthage is brutal

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Matto

Post by Matto »

I like playing AGEOD games against AI ... 
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Combat Command Matrix Edition

The game is simple: as a result the AI is an excellent opponent.

-

Anguille

Post by Anguille »

Spartan/Got has a very decent AI as well
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Empire Deluxe
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

Original SSG Reach for the Stars
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

Any reason to limit it to turn based, rather than to 'serious' wargame?
Valgua

Post by Valgua »

ORIGINAL: Lieste

Any reason to limit it to turn based, rather than to 'serious' wargame?

The reason is that when it comes to real time wargames the answer is, I think, obvious: Battles from the Bulge. [&o] I was curious to know if there are any turnbased wargames that can compete with that standard of AI.
PJJ

Post by PJJ »

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War.

No other turn-based AI I've seen in action comes even close to it. Definitely gives as good a challenge, if not better than the Panther Games AI.

"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
Chilperic

Post by Chilperic »

ORIGINAL: PJJ

Hannibal: Rome and Carthage in the Second Punic War.

No other turn-based AI I've seen in action comes even close to it. Definitely gives as good a challenge, if not better than the Panther Games AI.

+1

And Panther's AI when enlarging to non TBS wargames.
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

The reason is that when it comes to real time wargames the answer is, I think, obvious: Battles from the Bulge. [&o] I was curious to know if there are any turnbased wargames that can compete with that standard of AI.

Well, you can play Battles from the Bulge as a turn-based game : give orders, let run for 2 game-hours, don't pause for *anything*, give orders again etc. A 2-day scenario thus becomes a 24-turn game in which you have to reach your objectives. Makes for *very* intense games.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
PJJ

Post by PJJ »

Chliperic, your Fatal Years mod for Revolution Under Siege also has a great AI. [:)]
"But here we are in a chamber pot, about to be shitted upon."

-French General Auguste Ducrot before the Battle of Sedan, September 1870
Chilperic

Post by Chilperic »

In Hannibal, my 3 serious tries until now, after reading manual, forum, etc. on normal level has ended by 3 defeats... Even Panther's one is less letal. A pity Hannibal isn't more considered.
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

Well, you can play Battles from the Bulge as a turn-based game : give orders, let run for 2 game-hours, don't pause for *anything*, give orders again etc. A 2-day scenario thus becomes a 24-turn game in which you have to reach your objectives. Makes for *very* intense games.
It's not turn based. It's phase based (you get orders phase and execution phase). Turn-based is when players take turns in manipulating their units.
sterckxe

Post by sterckxe »

ORIGINAL: Perturabo
ORIGINAL: sterckxe

It's not turn based. It's phase based (you get orders phase and execution phase). Turn-based is when players take turns in manipulating their units.

Back when I was a beta-bunny for Panther Games I made some suggestion to have a turn-based MP. Players would agree on turn-length. Player A would enter his orders, send the savegame to Player B who would then let the game run for x hours, then enter his orders, send the game back etc.

Arjuna didn't think much of this idea, but as far as I can tell no-one is playing the realtime online game they put so much effort into. If BftB was turn-based this way I'd be playing it all the time.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

Gary Grigsby's War in the East is the best AI created to date for a turned based wargame hands down. I’ve played every game mentioned above, and none of them holds a candle to the AI in War in the East. It is still just an AI and should be viewed as no better than a training tool for learning the game, but it has one thing going for it none of the others has.

It’s a reactive AI, it actually has the ability to identify a pocket that is about to be formed and will react to the threat and pull troops out of the threatened area to try and save them. I’ve never seen any AI with this ability before, as most/all of them are scripted and have no ability to react to player moves if they do something not planned for ahead of time in the AI’s scripted behavior.

Scripted AI’s can be good if the game follows a predictable path and the player does everything the designer planned for when he wrote the script. But step out of the script and you see ridiculous results such as the AI sitting on its assigned objective doing nothing while the player races around behind it using an unplanned for direction of advance.

Also once a player learns the script in a game, it’s super easy to beat it after that. A reactionary AI like the one in War in the East however has no script you can learn to beat, so every game is a new experience as you try out different strategies. The AI still has many weaknesses, but it is the best one I’ve seen in any game so far.

Jim
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Ascendancy has the best AI I have ever seen. I kid, I kid. Hey! Put down that rock! Ouch!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Valgua

Post by Valgua »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Gary Grigsby's War in the East is the best AI created to date for a turned based wargame hands down. I’ve played every game mentioned above, and none of them holds a candle to the AI in War in the East. It is still just an AI and should be viewed as no better than a training tool for learning the game, but it has one thing going for it none of the others has.

It’s a reactive AI, it actually has the ability to identify a pocket that is about to be formed and will react to the threat and pull troops out of the threatened area to try and save them. I’ve never seen any AI with this ability before, as most/all of them are scripted and have no ability to react to player moves if they do something not planned for ahead of time in the AI’s scripted behavior.

Scripted AI’s can be good if the game follows a predictable path and the player does everything the designer planned for when he wrote the script. But step out of the script and you see ridiculous results such as the AI sitting on its assigned objective doing nothing while the player races around behind it using an unplanned for direction of advance.

Also once a player learns the script in a game, it’s super easy to beat it after that. A reactionary AI like the one in War in the East however has no script you can learn to beat, so every game is a new experience as you try out different strategies. The AI still has many weaknesses, but it is the best one I’ve seen in any game so far.

Jim

Nice! I am in fact interested in WitE, but my experience with WitP tells me that very long PBEM campaigns just do not work for me. Work and life always ruin the fun... :-) A decent AI is therefore a necessity.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Has anything changed in your opinion since 2011? [:)]

Return to “General Discussion”