Rail in Finland

War in Russia is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
mcaryf

Rail in Finland

Post by mcaryf »

Hi

A couple of questions from an old Second Front and WIR player:

Is it a bug or intentional that rail does not convert in Finland during Axis Blitzkrieg turns?

Does the Axis/Soviet report facility on battles work in any mode (it looks as if it is similar to the Pacwar facility) - it does not seem to do so in normal play versus the AI.

Is it right that one major Soviet City has no rail connection?

Regards

Mike
PaxMondo

RE: Rail in Finland

Post by PaxMondo »

The stock map, and most of the others, are a compromise between reality and gameplay.  There are a number of intentional disruptions to the reality to account for gameplay.  Most of them are there to account for the Axis blitz to prevent them from easily exceeding what was realistically possible.
Pax
mcaryf

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Pax

Thank you for your answer.

I can understand the Finnish rail conversion being made not to work as a way of inhibiting their progress but it seems more likely to me that someone modified the Axis rail conversion for Blitzkrieg turns (it is mentioned twice in the readme) to make the conversion rate appropriate to supply levels of 10 and 8 but forgot that the Finns would be a special case as their supply level is initially only 5.

When I started with the game I experimented with letting the AI play itself and was surprised to see the Finns suffering bad results in the early months, when I investigated further I noticed the rail conversion problem so that the Finns were advancing to out of supply locations.

I can live with it as a restriction but I am not sure it is an intentional one.

Regards

Mike
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

AFAIR Helsinki gets a supply level upgrade later in the war, enough to start rail conversion. I believe to have seen this in 1943 but it was on an older version and may have been removed in the most recent version.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
mcaryf

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Denniss

Once (if) Leningrad has fallen to the Axis then of course the supply level will flow through to the rail already captured by the Finns.

Regards

mike
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Once (if) Leningrad has fallen to the Axis then of course the supply level will flow through to the rail already captured by the Finns.
I know but I remember to have seen what I stated, Helsinki supply level upgrade and rail conversion started, even without GER taking Leningrad.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)

Return to “War In Russia: The Matrix Edition”