Age Group Playing AT

Advanced Tactics is a versatile turn-based strategy system that gives gamers the chance to wage almost any battle in any time period. The initial release focuses on World War II and includes a number of historical scenarios as well as a full editor! This forum supports both the original Advanced Tactics and the new and improved Advanced Tactics: Gold Edition.

Moderator: Vic

Joe McQuay

RE: Age Group Playing AT

Post by Joe McQuay »

nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

48  [8D]
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
billd

Post by billd »

30, brisbane, my first wargame was chess.
zzmzzm

Post by zzmzzm »

ong ma ni bei mei hong
kram

Post by kram »

Javolenus

Post by Javolenus »

50 (Oh, alright, nearly 51 . . .)
jomni

Post by jomni »

Intersting statistics.  Here's a question.

If AT was released 20 years ago (80s / 90s), what is the age of the people playing?  I suspect they are in their 20's.  So the people playing now are the same people who play these games when they're younger.  So 20 years from now, the players will be 60.  Not a good sign for matrix...

I don't think it is a case where people who reach 40 years starts picking up games like these. Or is it?

british exil

Post by british exil »

Look at this thread.

tm.asp?m=2936428

You can see at what age some of the forum members started wargaming. AT and ATG are among some of the games picked up along the long trek of gameplaying.

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: jomni

If AT was released 20 years ago (80s / 90s), what is the age of the people playing?  I suspect they are in their 20's.  So the people playing now are the same people who play these games when they're younger.  So 20 years from now, the players will be 60.  Not a good sign for matrix...

I don't think it is a case where people who reach 40 years starts picking up games like these. Or is it?

Many people consider the sub genre of wargaming a dead end. Almost everyone feels that the "hex and counter" type games are just nostalgia and will soon sputter out.

So many people have told me this. But I think in truth the segment was always narrow, but didn't have as much competition as it does now for younger players.

Would I have ever gotten into these games if XBOX360 and Warhammer 40K and Magic the Gathering were around when I was 12 or so ? Yes, I would have, but there probably isn't more than say 2% of the population that are like me.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

ORIGINAL: jomni

Many people consider the sub genre of wargaming a dead end. Almost everyone feels that the "hex and counter" type games are just nostalgia and will soon sputter out.

So many people have told me this. But I think in truth the segment was always narrow, but didn't have as much competition as it does now for younger players.

Would I have ever gotten into these games if XBOX360 and Warhammer 40K and Magic the Gathering were around when I was 12 or so ? Yes, I would have, but there probably isn't more than say 2% of the population that are like me.

Hey, i sold my Magic the Gathering. I´ve played Everquest, and Warhammer Fantasy Battles. But i still have very fond moments in my memory about playing Rise and Decline of the 3rd Reich and Panzer Blitz board games...

I definately think that hex and counter games are the best way to simulate reality... or at least, it has a much higher thought process that has to occur, compared to the read and react tactics you need to pull of in real time games.

Also i might add, as people get older their reflexes go down, and thus games of deeper thought might be alot more appealing :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Hmmm, well in my day it was D&D which was sucking all the life from the wargamers. I had a little fun with it, but quickly moved on.
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Return to “Advanced Tactics Series”