Routing question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Nikolaj

RE: Routing question

Post by Nikolaj »

ORIGINAL: Jakerson
Are those units in isolated mode? If you turn supply mode on from map features is there red circle around pocketed units?

If not then pocket is to complitely sealed. If you turn hex ownership on and take screenshot I could try to check why it is not sealed.

Thanks for the help. Yes, according to the supply mode, they should be isolated. Here's the picture you asked for. This is from the autosave, at the start of the turn:

Attachments
witepic.jpg
witepic.jpg (408.79 KiB) Viewed 32 times
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

The HQs and airbases in the image above will route out of the pocket, the ground units will not. That should be what is happening.
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj »

ORIGINAL: PeeDeeAitch

The HQs and airbases in the image above will route out of the pocket, the ground units will not. That should be what is happening.

Yeah, that's what I figured, and I almost thought I'd made a mistake, but after reloading, I tried again and got another rout. Here's the same picture as above, except I moved and attacked with the 110th infantry division. Notice how the 75th rifle division has routed out of the pocket:

Attachments
witepic2.jpg
witepic2.jpg (365.83 KiB) Viewed 32 times
Jakerson

Post by Jakerson »

ORIGINAL: Nikolaj

Thanks for the help. Yes, according to the supply mode, they should be isolated. Here's the picture you asked for. This is from the autosave, at the start of the turn:

Looks isolated ok. As PeeDeeAitch said those units that can relocate out of sealed pockets are HQ and Air Bases. It works as intended this simulate the fact that in many cases Generals and high staff were evacuated from pockets with planes when pocket was about to collapse. There is high risk General getting killed if HQ is forced to relocate out from pocket. I have lost my best general some times this way. :(

This happened in World War 2 for example when Africa Corps was sealed in North Africa Luftwaffe saved Rommel and his HQ and also People were saved from Stalingrad pockets by Luftwaffe.

Planes can always fly out from pocket with relocate but they have to leave damaged planes behind and also bases take some extra attrition. This simulates air force capacity to emergency air lift itself out from pockets.

No other unit can flee just HQ’s and Air bases.
pompack

Post by pompack »

Hit shift-o or the isolation display icon to insure that the units in question really are isolated. If they are, they will be highlighted in a rather unmistakable and brilliant red. I don't see why they would not be isolated but maybe there is some special rule for Moscow.
Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj »

They are indeed outlined in red in the isolation display. I think I may have an idea about what's going on, though. I know that units that are already in a routed state can, but I'm sure this one wasn't. But looking at the 75th rifle division in the screenshot I posted above, I notice that it has a CV of 0. I'm not sure, but it's possible that it had a CV of 0 before I attacked it, so maybe it was just an empty unit. Can empty combat units rout out of pockets?
randallw

Post by randallw »

If you move next to an enemy unit with CV 0 it will try to run away, by the game rules.
Jakerson

Post by Jakerson »

ORIGINAL: randallw

If you move next to an enemy unit with CV 0 it will try to run away, by the game rules.

Yeah I take it that routed 0 CV units have zero will left to stand and fight they just drop their guns and run like hell when enemy comes next to them.

I kind of like this rule even there have been a some of people calling routing rules bad. Eatch time unit routs it lose large partition of artillery and men. It is hard to isolate them but thats propably realistic as routed men get more fuel to run even faster to all directions when they see enemy coming.

Germany getting 50MP mobile troops justify current rout rules more then good.
Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj »

ORIGINAL: randallw

But I didn't just move next to it, though. It was stacked with a HQ and another combat unit, which didn't have a CV of 0, and it was part of the battle when I attacked the hex. It still routed out of the pocket, though.
pompack

Post by pompack »

Move it to the Tech Forum and see what Helpless says about it.
Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj »

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll just let it go, though. I do feel like I've gotten a much better grasp on the way encirclements, routing and so on works, so thanks to all of those who took time to answer my questions. :)

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”