End of Western Hypocrisy - or Xargun (Japs) vs RRoberson (Allies) - No RRobs

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Xargun

Update

Post by Xargun »

Another turn and more bombings in China and elsewhere - another slow turn except for the fact that one of Rob's subs caught a brand new AKE leaving Yokohama harbor and put a torp into her. She is disbanded in a small port (size 1) with 98 flt damage and I don't expect here to survive. If she lives a turn or 2 I will send an AR over but I don't think she will survive.

I am slowly building up my pilot reserves and wonder how many would be enough ? What target number should I aim for. It is May 42 and I have the following so far. I only pull pilots out of units that have 76+ exp.

Navy Reserves:
Fighter - 268
Bomber - 113

Army Reserves:
Fighter - 67
Bomber - 3

Let me know you opinions of reserves and how many and what skill / experience I should have.

Xargun
SqzMyLemon

RE: Update

Post by SqzMyLemon »

ORIGINAL: Xargun

I am slowly building up my pilot reserves and wonder how many would be enough ? What target number should I aim for. It is May 42 and I have the following so far. I only pull pilots out of units that have 76+ exp.

Navy Reserves:
Fighter - 268
Bomber - 113

Army Reserves:
Fighter - 67
Bomber - 3

Let me know you opinions of reserves and how many and what skill / experience I should have.

Xargun

Not nearly enough, you shouldn't even put a limit on the number of pilots to have in reserve. Heavy combat will see them dwindle quickly. A lot of people shoot for 50exp/70air/70def

Once the skills reach the high 60's to 70 mark it's best to get that pilot switched over to a combat formation to gain experience. It takes too long to train skills above 70. You want high turnover, once you've reached the skill level you need switch them out and get green pilots started.

Experience levels grind to a halt around 50 while training, anything higher needs to be gained from flying actual missions and combat.

Make sure all your units not on the frontline are maxed out with pilots and you are set to 80-100% training. A three month training cycle seems to get the numbers up in time.

If you rely on only pulling pilots out with 76+ experience into your reserve, they will not last very long. Your reserve should rely on trained pilots, not on pulling out combat veterans. It's a good idea to save some veterans for the better aircraft later of course or put your 80+ exp pilots into TRACOM to save them for later, but it's not enough to fill your reserves or keep your combat units effective over the long term.

You will need thousands over the course of the war. Good luck.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

+1
Pax
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon
Not nearly enough, you shouldn't even put a limit on the number of pilots to have in reserve. Heavy combat will see them dwindle quickly. A lot of people shoot for 50exp/70air/70def

Once the skills reach the high 60's to 70 mark it's best to get that pilot switched over to a combat formation to gain experience. It takes too long to train skills above 70. You want high turnover, once you've reached the skill level you need switch them out and get green pilots started.

Experience levels grind to a halt around 50 while training, anything higher needs to be gained from flying actual missions and combat.

Make sure all your units not on the frontline are maxed out with pilots and you are set to 80-100% training. A three month training cycle seems to get the numbers up in time.

If you rely on only pulling pilots out with 76+ experience into your reserve, they will not last very long. Your reserve should rely on trained pilots, not on pulling out combat veterans. It's a good idea to save some veterans for the better aircraft later of course or put your 80+ exp pilots into TRACOM to save them for later, but it's not enough to fill your reserves or keep your combat units effective over the long term.

My Current Training Regime

If a unit is not actually flying in combat they are set to 40% training - even while resting and replacing aircraft. All units behind the lines are set at 40% training and once they begin to hit 50 exp I begin making them fly actual missions - CAP, recon, whatever -- this seems to be the way to get over the 50 exp hump. Then once they are 75 or so in exp (and the correct skill is 70+) I place them in reserve.

I also try to keep 1 80+ exp pilot in the unit as I remember seeing posts on the forums that that seems to help the training of other pilots in the unit. From my brief observations that does seem true.

I have never played a PBeM past Aug 1942 so have little experience on what to expect beyond that point.

Observations

From what you guys are saying I am taking too few pilots - I am only taking the 'best' and not the 'good enough'. Correct ? I need to lower my standards so I have enough masses for the late war.

Ok so I should be looking at roughly 100+ new reserve pilots a month right now so in 44 and 45 I have enough. Understood.

Another question for you. Should I be pulling these pilots from my front line units and replacing with green recruits? Won't that leave my fighting units very weak ? Right now I only have to worry about the Allied bombers shooting down my fighters - even my Oscars are kicking the allied fighters out of the skies. But that should start changing as he gets better aircraft. If I pull too much from my front line units they will take even worse losses compounding my problem. Would something like this work?

Pull pilots with correct skills and exp 70+ out of front line units. Use reserve / resting / training units to provide pilots of 55+ exp for reserve. Keep front line units filled pilots of 55+ exp so they I can still expect 'decent' results from them.

Thanks for your input.

Xargun

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Xargun,

Just for comparison, many IJ players push the pace of combat in '42 as they can have a pretty good advantage in numbers of replacement planes/pilots as compared to the allies. In some AAR's, a/c losses of +300/month are not uncommon as they push the pace. To support this, they are training/graduating in excess of 500 pilots/month.

If you are able to increase your stocks of pilots by "graduating" 100 pilots/month, this infers that your tempo in '42 is quite slow, qas your losses are less than 100/month. The upside is that you are able to keep your economy growth moderate. But, this also means that they allies are also growing and stocking up on pilot pools for when they get their Hellcats and Corsairs in '43. This means you will be facing better planes with equivalent pilot skills.

Not suggesting your strategy isn't a good one. Just want to be sure that you have thought through the outcomes of your decisions.
Pax
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Xargun,

Just for comparison, many IJ players push the pace of combat in '42 as they can have a pretty good advantage in numbers of replacement planes/pilots as compared to the allies. In some AAR's, a/c losses of +300/month are not uncommon as they push the pace. To support this, they are training/graduating in excess of 500 pilots/month.

If you are able to increase your stocks of pilots by "graduating" 100 pilots/month, this infers that your tempo in '42 is quite slow, qas your losses are less than 100/month. The upside is that you are able to keep your economy growth moderate. But, this also means that they allies are also growing and stocking up on pilot pools for when they get their Hellcats and Corsairs in '43. This means you will be facing better planes with equivalent pilot skills.

Not suggesting your strategy isn't a good one. Just want to be sure that you have thought through the outcomes of your decisions.

I never really paid that much attention to losses in other games to be honest. Looks like I need to really step up the pilot training. My aircraft production is good - roughly 300+ fighters a month plus another 300+ bombers and other aircraft. To be told I figure my total aircraft production can be over 700 aircraft a month - I have been turning off production to stockpile engines as my pools of aircraft are good right now. I can push this up if needed as I don't even use all the available aircraft factories as I'm not sure what 'more' to produce - although when I get Tojos I will be pushing a lot of them out the door - I just don't see the need to produce a lot of old aircraft if I'm not using them.

I have my aircraft production planned out through end of 1942 and when we get into August or so I will being looking into 1943 and what aircraft I want and how many engines.

Perhaps Rob's and my combat losses are lower than others but then I am behind so it may just be that I am not pushing hard enough. I am trying to increase my tempo on the ground while trying to chase down his CVs as well.

I think my economy is in good shape - I am accelerating a lot of ships while my naval shipyard pool keeps increasing. I have expanded my Heavy Industry a bit but not a whole lot and am not sure how far to expand. I have also built up my armor and armament industries some as well - I will try to post a listing of them tonight from home. In a previous game I expanded way to much and had to suffer through several months of low supply because of it and I have probably not expanded this time enough - but hey that's part of the reason for the AAR.

Xargun

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

OK, the good news is you are producting +600 a/c per month. That is a good rate, very sustainable. But, if you are only "graduating" 100 pilots per month from your pilot training program I think you can see the issue. I wasn't sure where your shortage was originally.

Good AAR. You're doing good. At least better than I do. [:D] I get distracted by too many things (a 2 y.o. son who wants to play) and find 5 turns later my bonehead oversight. [:o] Oh well.
Pax
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

OK, the good news is you are producting +600 a/c per month. That is a good rate, very sustainable. But, if you are only "graduating" 100 pilots per month from your pilot training program I think you can see the issue. I wasn't sure where your shortage was originally.

I have just taken like 2 days and revamped my pilot training and sent a lot of pilots into the reserve. I also noticed that somehow and bunch of low experience navy fighter pilots are in my reserve so I cleaned bunch of them out (still more to do but they will slowly move out to units for training).
Good AAR. You're doing good. At least better than I do. [:D] I get distracted by too many things (a 2 y.o. son who wants to play) and find 5 turns later my bonehead oversight. [:o] Oh well.

I know what you mean - some evenings its hard to get a turn in with my 5 year old (turns 5 this monday) running around yelling for my attentions.

Xargun
Xargun

Update

Post by Xargun »

May 22nd, 1942

Another slow day in the war. Just the usual bombings by both sides and some odd artillery attacks by the Chinese - maybe trying to slow my advances ? But really just wasting supply from what I can tell.

As promised here is more economic information...

Current Pools:

Man Power: 516,676 (Don't think I have to worry about this ever running out)
Heavy Industry: 174,300 (I think this is a bit low - what do you guys think ?)
Armaments: 99,410 (I am aiming for 100k stockpile)
Naval Shipyard: 24,924 (Thinking about turning these off for a few turns to use up the stockpile)
Merchant Shipyard: 10,404 (Slowly decreasing due to accelerating of TKs)
Vehicle: 5,071 (Was at 10k but I have upgraded a lot of armor recently)

Industry:

(Actual factories not stockpile)

Man Power: 850
Heavy Industry: 7106
Light Industry: 9944
Resources: 14,852
Oil: 1550
Refinery: 2302
Naval Shipyards: 1402
Merchant Shipyards: 827
Armament: 650
Vehicle: 125
Aircraft Engines: 825 (See below)
Aircraft: 817 (See below)

Aircraft Engines:

All available Engine factories are producing and several new ones come available in a couple months.

Ha-5: 180
Ha-31: 45
Ha-32: 150
Ha-33: 210
Ha-35: 240

Aircraft:

Not all factories are producing - I try to maintain a certain level in the pools and turn factories on/off to conserve both HI and Engines for later models.

A6M2 Zero: 120
A6M2-N Rufe: 20
B5N2 Kate: 60
C5M2 Babs: 30
D3A1 Val: 50
E13A1 Jake: 30
G3M3 Nell: 60
G4M1 Betty: 60
H6K2-L Mavis: 20
H6K4 Mavis: 30
Ki-15-II Babs: 30
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 60
Ki-30 Ann: 30
Ki-42-Ic Oscar: 130
MC-21 Sally: 30
L3Y2 Tina: 30

I also have 2 factories that I haven't decided what to build with yet so they are turned off and sitting idle.

Any comments / Questions ?

Xargun
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I have just taken like 2 days and revamped my pilot training and sent a lot of pilots into the reserve. I also noticed that somehow and bunch of low experience navy fighter pilots are in my reserve so I cleaned bunch of them out (still more to do but they will slowly move out to units for training).

OK, I feel better now. That happens to me all the time. Took me a while to figure out what they were (at least for me); they are the "scheduled" arrival pilots that come into your pools. Sometimes they can't get into the group for some reason and then they just go to your pool.
I know what you mean - some evenings its hard to get a turn in with my 5 year old (turns 5 this monday) running around yelling for my attentions.

Xargun
Yeah, the good years. The 2 yo compliments our 18yo. So when my 2 yo wants to play, I play. I know in a few years he'll never ask again. Gotta take advantage of it while I can. [;)]

BTW: congrats to the impending birthday. big event yet at 5. [:D]
Pax
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Ok, here are my thoughts. Use them as you see fit. I'm not MIKE, only a student of his. [:D]

Current Pools:

Man Power: 516,676 (Don't think I have to worry about this ever running out)
Heavy Industry: 174,300 (I think this is a bit low - what do you guys think ?)
Armaments: 99,410 (I am aiming for 100k stockpile)
Naval Shipyard: 24,924 (Thinking about turning these off for a few turns to use up the stockpile)
Merchant Shipyard: 10,404 (Slowly decreasing due to accelerating of TKs)
Vehicle: 5,071 (Was at 10k but I have upgraded a lot of armor recently)

Armaments - take a look at the curves in tracker ... you get a lot of reinforcements beginning in '43 that will eat up a lot of Armament (and Manpower). If you haven't increased this, then you will likely need to let it build until '45. Meaning, you will in mid '43 have what appears to be a HUGE stockpile.

NSY: did you accelerate all of the Unyo's? Unless you have expanded your NSY greatly, generally you don't have much excess.

VEH - never seem to have enough, but you can't expand everything.
Industry:

(Actual factories not stockpile)

Man Power: 850
Heavy Industry: 7106
Light Industry: 9944
Resources: 14,852
Oil: 1550
Refinery: 2302
Naval Shipyards: 1402
Merchant Shipyards: 827
Armament: 650
Vehicle: 125
Aircraft Engines: 825 (See below)
Aircraft: 817 (See below)
So you've expanded NSY, VEH, and AC/ENG. Have you had bad luck on capturing HI? Can't recall now from your AAR. I'll go back and read.
Aircraft Engines:

All available Engine factories are producing and several new ones come available in a couple months.

Ha-5: 180
Ha-31: 45
Ha-32: 150
Ha-33: 210
Ha-35: 240

Aircraft:

Not all factories are producing - I try to maintain a certain level in the pools and turn factories on/off to conserve both HI and Engines for later models.

A6M2 Zero: 120
A6M2-N Rufe: 20
B5N2 Kate: 60
C5M2 Babs: 30
D3A1 Val: 50
E13A1 Jake: 30
G3M3 Nell: 60
G4M1 Betty: 60
H6K2-L Mavis: 20
H6K4 Mavis: 30
Ki-15-II Babs: 30
Ki-21-Ic Sally: 60
Ki-30 Ann: 30
Ki-42-Ic Oscar: 130
MC-21 Sally: 30
L3Y2 Tina: 30

I also have 2 factories that I haven't decided what to build with yet so they are turned off and sitting idle.

Any comments / Questions ?

Xargun
You shouldn't need either of the Ha-31 or Ha-5 by this time. You should have big enough pools. Can't recall if you are PDU ON or OFF. Looks like PDU OFF.

Still, if you haven't started building Ha-34 for your Tojo/Helens, you are late. Get at least two engine factories converted, more likely at this late date you will need 4. If you're going to produce 100xTojo and 100xHelen, that's 300xHa-34 you gotta make. That makes it your biggest mid-game engine factory complex until you shift to the Ha-45. Even with PDU OFF, a large portion of your fighters can upgrade to Tojo and same for your bomber groups to Helen. Tracker will be able to tell you exactly.

While your investment in the Ha-34 is huge, the good news is that Helen remains about your best IJA bomber until the end game. You may wish a few Peggy for the torp, but that is up to you. Tojo will get replaced by the Frank, but not for another 18 months.

I would start to plan your conversion to the later models now. How/when will you start to convert to the Ha-45? What your kami model will be and which engine will it use? EX; if you use the Toka/Tsurugi then you need to keep you Ha-35 factories idle until '45. However, if you decide that you will use Grace, then you are going to need to convert those engine factories all to Ha-45. Lot's of ways to go here, and I don't think there have been a "best way" proven yet. But if you plan it out now, you can minimize that expense. Converting factories eats up a lot of supply and HI. don't want to do that more than you have to.

BANZAI!!!
Pax
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

I understand that some of the factories auto convert to better planes without causing damage. How do you tell which ones convert and to what AC type?
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Skyros

I understand that some of the factories auto convert to better planes without causing damage. How do you tell which ones convert and to what AC type?
Check tracker. If the plane is in the upgrade path of the plane (don't confuse with the air group upgrade path which is separate) then the factory will upgrade to it. So, A6M2 does not upgrade to A6M3. But Ki-49Ia does upgrade to Ki-49IIa.
Pax
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Ok that makes sense, was hoping it was in AE. Have not played Japan since WITP hoping to start a game when the next patch comes out.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Skyros

Ok that makes sense, was hoping it was in AE. Have not played Japan since WITP hoping to start a game when the next patch comes out.
You can also check in the game, but it will only show the first upgrade. Check the aircraft screen on the info page, left column show upgrade if one exists..
Pax
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

Ok, here are my thoughts. Use them as you see fit. I'm not MIKE, only a student of his. [:D]

Armaments - take a look at the curves in tracker ... you get a lot of reinforcements beginning in '43 that will eat up a lot of Armament (and Manpower). If you haven't increased this, then you will likely need to let it build until '45. Meaning, you will in mid '43 have what appears to be a HUGE stockpile.

I looked in Tracker again and see what you mean. Overall I will need like 200k Armaments to fill all the incoming units - not counting replacements for combat losses or filling understrength units. I am going to keep my armaments on for now and see where I am in another month or two.
NSY: did you accelerate all of the Unyo's? Unless you have expanded your NSY greatly, generally you don't have much excess.

I did not accelerate them from turn 1 - I just waited until the Yamato finished and now all CVs are accelerated. I have also accelerated CVEs as well. I believe if a Carrier is being built before 1945 it is now accelerated - I should have a bunch of CVs coming off the line in mid to late 43 now.
VEH - never seem to have enough, but you can't expand everything.

Looking over this I have decided to expand these a bit more. I currently have 6 sites producing 125 per turn - I expanded this up to 150 per turn - now all 6 sites are size 25.
So you've expanded NSY, VEH, and AC/ENG. Have you had bad luck on capturing HI? Can't recall now from your AAR. I'll go back and read.

I have had some luck in capturing HI, but Singapore and some of the larger bases in China are still not mine. I am slowly expanding HI - about 30 points a month in out of the way places where the allies probably won't think to attack / bomb in late war - but also places that won't need anything shipped in to operate.
You shouldn't need either of the Ha-31 or Ha-5 by this time. You should have big enough pools. Can't recall if you are PDU ON or OFF. Looks like PDU OFF.

Still, if you haven't started building Ha-34 for your Tojo/Helens, you are late. Get at least two engine factories converted, more likely at this late date you will need 4. If you're going to produce 100xTojo and 100xHelen, that's 300xHa-34 you gotta make. That makes it your biggest mid-game engine factory complex until you shift to the Ha-45. Even with PDU OFF, a large portion of your fighters can upgrade to Tojo and same for your bomber groups to Helen. Tracker will be able to tell you exactly.

While your investment in the Ha-34 is huge, the good news is that Helen remains about your best IJA bomber until the end game. You may wish a few Peggy for the torp, but that is up to you. Tojo will get replaced by the Frank, but not for another 18 months.

I would start to plan your conversion to the later models now. How/when will you start to convert to the Ha-45? What your kami model will be and which engine will it use? EX; if you use the Toka/Tsurugi then you need to keep you Ha-35 factories idle until '45. However, if you decide that you will use Grace, then you are going to need to convert those engine factories all to Ha-45. Lot's of ways to go here, and I don't think there have been a "best way" proven yet. But if you plan it out now, you can minimize that expense. Converting factories eats up a lot of supply and HI. don't want to do that more than you have to.

BANZAI!!!

I am glad you mentioned the Ha-34 engine [&o] My game originally started with the Tojo's using a different engine and I had never updated my spreadsheets to reflect the database change a while ago. I have just converted over a factory to Ha-34 and it will be some time before it is 100% but I should start making engines within 15 days - it will be slow, but eventually I will make enough. The Tojo comes online in September (3 months away) and then the Helen in December (6 months away). By then I will have 250+ or so engines being produced a month and will be able to gut some of my other engines as I leave the Sally behind in favor of the Helen.

As for my planning - I went through the planes for 43 and selected my choices. I took the following items into consideration: Performance, Gun Rating, Armor, Engine Type and Service Rating. When aircraft were close to each other Engine and Service Rating made the choice. Most of the 43 fighters are a 3 service rating which pushed them right off the list. Looks like I will be staying with Tojos and Zeros through most of 43.

In August I get 3 more engine factories available to build with and I plan on getting them up and running for my needs as soon as possible. I want to have my perimeter captured by end of 42 so I can simply smash bases in 43 and try to lure the allied CVs into a deathtrap. But that is 6+ months away and I have a lot to do before then.

I just got a turn so expect some updates later.

Xargun
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

As for my planning - I went through the planes for 43 and selected my choices. I took the following items into consideration: Performance, Gun Rating, Armor, Engine Type and Service Rating. When aircraft were close to each other Engine and Service Rating made the choice. Most of the 43 fighters are a 3 service rating which pushed them right off the list. Looks like I will be staying with Tojos and Zeros through most of 43.
I have had good success with SR3 fighters, but you do have to plan and use them differently. Essentially, you really need to add rest into the groups activity. SR3 groups perform fine with 20-30% rest. So, use large air groups (+30) where even with 30% rest, you still have a reasonable number of planes in the air.

Zero is a really weak plane in '43. Just like IRL, you will lose a lot of pilots if that is your main IJN weapon. Not suggesting your alternatives are great, and really depends upon whether you are are PDU ON or OFF.
Pax
Xargun

Post by Xargun »

I have had good success with SR3 fighters, but you do have to plan and use them differently. Essentially, you really need to add rest into the groups activity. SR3 groups perform fine with 20-30% rest. So, use large air groups (+30) where even with 30% rest, you still have a reasonable number of planes in the air.

Zero is a really weak plane in '43. Just like IRL, you will lose a lot of pilots if that is your main IJN weapon. Not suggesting your alternatives are great, and really depends upon whether you are are PDU ON or OFF.

Maybe I need to look at my aircraft again. if that's all it takes to keep SR 3 planes in the air thats not that bad. I don't want to lose a lot of pilots - I've been careful with them so far and no point wasting them. I will look the planes over again and see what I can figure out. Thanks for the tip.

Xargun
Xargun

Update: May 30th, 1942

Post by Xargun »

May 30th, 1942

Its been a week (game time) since my last update so here goes...

Not much has been happening. More bombing and artillery attacks, followed by some sub action on both sides but nothing major. I am moving lots of LCUs out from Tokyo and Manila to their new destinations.

Some highlights:

Palembang

I took this base and it was beat up some (250 oil damaged). But due to my inability to close the airfield at Batavia Rob has been bombing the base daily. I have 40+ fighters on CAP, and I am shooting down his escorts, but the fighters just can't get the job done against B-25s and B-17s. I damage a few but they are hammering my oil fields. Since I took the base, Rob has damaged an additional 100 oil plus some refineries. I keep feeding fighters into Palembang as fast as I can support them and the last couple days have seen a decrease in the bombings - either I am starting to kill some planes, or he is simply resting his units.

Solomons

Over the next couple days my second deployment of base forces and small troops will land in this area giving me a more secure hold. I hold Lunga, Tulagi and Shortlands with no real allied base in the area. I have also moved south and taken Efate and the larger islands there as well.

My commitment to Rabaul and Buna have also arrived and increasing my strength in that area.

Burma

Burma seems to be the hot spot for the past couple days. Rob is insistant on closing down Meiktila airfield and has bombed it heavily over the past couple days - which makes no sense since the oil center at Magwe is right next door. The airfield is at roughly 40% damage and will still operate planes - just not as fast as before. In the past 4 days the Allies (British) have lost 82 aircraft in the skies over Meiktila whereas I have lost 79 fighters (in the air and on the ground). Luckily I have lost roughly 12 pilots total so once I get more planes there I will be back in business - where I'm guessing most of the British planes shot down over Meiktila should have a KIA or POW pilot.

I do not know the amount of British planes but I hope I have made a dent in them. At first the Oscars there weren't doing it but then I moved in some Zeros and they really helped change the battle to my side.

Xargun
PaxMondo

RE: Update: May 30th, 1942

Post by PaxMondo »

Pox on all 4E's. [:D]
Pax

Return to “After Action Reports”