How to airdrop fuel?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Nikolaj

How to airdrop fuel?

Post by Nikolaj »

I have yet another question. I'm currently playing the "road to Minsk" scenario, and I think I'm doing pretty well, so far. Except that I got a little too enthusiastic on my last turn, and sent 2 panzer corps too far ahead, and now they're cut off. It's not a huge problem, since I have 3 infantry corps hot on their heels, but the panzers are running low on fuel.

However, all my attempts to resupply via air transport, results in only supplies being dropped (of which they have plenty) and no fuel. The manual says that once a unit gets to 125% percent in either fuel or supplies, the remaining tons dropped will be of the other kind, but this isn't happening in my game. One of my tank divisions is up to 232% supplies, but still only 27% fuel. I saved before attempting the air missions, so if someone could please tell me what I'm doing wrong, I'd love to try again. [:)]
carlkay58

RE: How to airdrop fuel?

Post by carlkay58 »

I believe (but am not positively sure) that it depends on WHEN you drop the supplies. I tend to do supply drops at the end of the turn, and it seems to drop almost exclusively fuel. When I do the drops at the start of the turn, they seem to drop supplies. But I am not sure if this is what is supposed to happen or not.
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

Airdropping fuel can be as complicated as you wish [:)] Basically, shift+right click lets you choose the type of planes flying and to select what type of supplies (fuel or basic supplies) to be dropped. Note, if you can can't resupply (get into contact) your units during the turn, you want to make sure you drop supplies so that they are better able to hold out...

When you need to supply units, as on a drive, then it is best to "two part" this - at the start of the turn use bombers to fly in fuel, then at the end of the turn supply with the transports. Make sure you toggle "fuel" in the airdrop (shift-right click to choose planes and what type of supply).
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
Nikolaj

Post by Nikolaj »

ORIGINAL: PeeDeeAitch

Airdropping fuel can be as complicated as you wish [:)] Basically, shift+right click lets you choose the type of planes flying and to select what type of supplies (fuel or basic supplies) to be dropped. Note, if you can can't resupply (get into contact) your units during the turn, you want to make sure you drop supplies so that they are better able to hold out...

When you need to supply units, as on a drive, then it is best to "two part" this - at the start of the turn use bombers to fly in fuel, then at the end of the turn supply with the transports. Make sure you toggle "fuel" in the airdrop (shift-right click to choose planes and what type of supply).

Awesome! Thanks a lot, this works, and it's good to know how to put together a custom air mission. I'm sure that'll come in handy in the future.

I feel like I'm learning something new every time I read a post on this forum. I'm so very glad I finally took the plunge and decided to learn how to play this game, because I'm having a blast, but man, there sure is a lot to learn. [:)]

edit: Btw, I see that dropping fuel to the tanks doesn't increase their (rather pathetic) movement allowance, which I didn't expect. I'd be interested in knowing, though, if they would have had more movement points now, if I had airdropped fuel to them at the end of the last turn (where it became clear that they might be in danger of being cut off).
Captain B

Post by Captain B »

Make darn sure you press that shift key down though...and also choose which unit you want to airdrop supplies to...in case there is more than one division in a hex. You can choose which aircraft fly, what supplies drop, and what units get them. After a while you will get the hang of it.

Captain B>
There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Using the shift key, while it allows selection of the air units, is actually the most inefficent method. Letting the AI (no shift, just right click) select the air units will give you more bangs per buck. Because at the moment (latest patch) an AI mission will always get many more aircraft in to the air from each individual group. It makes a big difference.

There is a trick I use to control what air groups get used though, even with AI missions. A bit of micro management but it works. Before doing any mission put all your Level Bombers on Night missions. Then before doing your resupply mission put the units you wish to fly back in to day mode. The AI will only use these units, not the night units.

Not sure how relevant this is for a scenario but its BIG in the CG.

Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Using the shift key, while it allows selection of the air units, is actually the most inefficent method. Letting the AI (no shift, just right click) select the air units will give you more bangs per buck.

Not really, because AI drops are SUPPLIES ONLY. If you want to drop FUEL, you have to do it manually.
kvolk

Post by kvolk »

I have noticed the AI will drop fuel automatically if the panzer unit is just advanced normally and you want to supply it with fuel. Once they get cut off then it switches to supplies unless I change it manually.
Leadership is intangible, and therefore no weapon ever designed can replace it.
Omar N. Bradley
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Well they drop fuel for me.
pompack

Post by pompack »

I use the shift key for manual control because the AI ALWAYS drops supplies for me.
PeeDeeAitch

Post by PeeDeeAitch »

One of the "fuel tricks" is to use bombers 1st thing in the turn to drop fuel, then at the turn's end use transports to send in a lot. I always forget, but I assume it is a useful plan...
"The torment of precautions often exceeds the dangers to be avoided. It is sometimes better to abandon one's self to destiny."

- Call me PDH

- WitE noob tester
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

ORIGINAL: pompack

I use the shift key for manual control because the AI ALWAYS drops supplies for me.

How strange.

Another thing I always do if possible is do all my Air fuelling first before I move very far. Becasue you will get more missions out of your transports at closer range. Also helps with the bomber fleet as well. Its all about efficency. You need to develop systems of supply that get the most value out of your limited resources.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”