Victory Games Vietnam

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Stratos_MatrixForum

RE: Victory Games Vietnam

Post by Stratos_MatrixForum »

Any update? I'm really looking forward to this, specially playing against myself.
-If we have to retreat, where we will retreat sir??
-To graveyard!!
Grymme

Post by Grymme »

I am back and will resume work shortly, but it might take a little while for an update.
My Advanced Tactics Mod page
http://atgscenarios.wordpress.com

30+ scenarios, maps and mods for AT and AT:G
Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Here is a small update on what i am working on, although i dont have as much time as i would like to.

The screenshot below shows the Cards section of the US/ARVN player at the start of the game.

The scenario will be very actioncarddriven (but i am thinking about making a simple AI friendly game variant with locations and without actioncards).

Anyway ATG is not at all unitcentric, but i have tried my best to recreate the feel of each major US divisional unit.

The US/SVN player can commit 10 divisions to Vietnam (and a couple of separate brigades and regiments). These are 1st (Air) Cavalry Division, 1st Infantry Division, 4th Infantry Division, 9th Infantry Division, 23rd Infantry Division, 25th Infantry Division, 101st Airmobile Division, 82nd Airborne Division, 1st Marine Division and 3rd Marine Division.

Most of the divisions have something that stands out with it. The aircavalry and airmobile divisions are airmobile, some divisions have a tank squadron or some mechanized battalions attached, the 9th Infantry Division has one brigade using Riverine transports, 23rd infantry Division is extra strong in artillery etc. All to give it the feel of the genuine division.

Attachments
USARVNCards.jpg
USARVNCards.jpg (280.47 KiB) Viewed 178 times

BULLDOGINTHEUK

Post by BULLDOGINTHEUK »

Looking great!
Keunert

Post by Keunert »

wow great stuff as usual!
Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Thanks guys. Just solved a brick wall i had hit in the coding.

To get a hint of the progress, here is my to-do list on things left to do in the scenario.

Things left to do in the scenario

US deployment (cards, TOES & coding)
- 199th light brigade
- 11th armored cavalry regiment
- 26th Marine Regiment
- 27th Marine Regiment
- 173rd Abn Brigade
- 5th Mechanized Brigade
- Separate Infantry battalions
- Separate Mechanized battalions
- Separate Tank battalions

ARVN deployment action cards
- Mechanized battalions
- Tank Battalions
- Marine Division
- Airborne Division
- Ranger Battalions

ARVN initial deployment action cards

NLF deployment action cards
- Supply conduits

NVA deployment (cards, TOES & coding)
- Division HQs (TOE done)
- Regiments (TOE done)
- Artillery battalions
- Engineers & AA???

Equipment & TOEs
- US (almost done)
- ARVN
- NVA
- NLF (almost done)
- Free World

Augmentation of
- NVA units
- ARVN units

Pacification
- Province Pacification coding (35/37 provinces left)
- Province pacificaiton messages
- Free Fire modification
- Game variant modification

VC dispersal (done but can be improved)
VC political sections

Map, landscapes & locations.
- more NVN & Water
- Improve riverine movement
- Fortifications & air bases
- Trail creation
- McNamara line
- Riverine movement (done but not tested)

Rules & TOE for all sides for
- Replacement points
- Airmobile points
- Air power points
- Riverine points

Morale Adjustments modifications for
- US (almost done)
- ARVN
- NVA (done)
- Offensives

Political rules
- ARVN leaders
- ARVN unit innefectivness
- Coups

US withdrawal rules
Bombing of the north
Bombing of the trail
NVA Air defenses
Sea Supply
Weather
Free World forces arrival rules
ARVN division naming rules?

AI game variants
smaller scenarios
Manual (will be huge)

Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Here is a miniupdate in the form of a screenshot from what i think will be an introductory scenario similar to some i have done for others.

Its called "Battle for I corps"

Screenshot shows Free World battleorder at the start of the scenario.

Yellow & Red units= ARVN
Green units = US
Dark Green = USM
Light Blue = Korean

Attachments
I corps.jpg
I corps.jpg (256.53 KiB) Viewed 185 times

Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Also here is something about the soutvietnamese political system.

There are basicly three levels of leaders in SVN

Head of state ***
Corps commander, chief of staff, air & naval commanders ** (7 of these)
and divisional leaders * (can be a total of 13).

All leaders are drawn at random and they all are loyal to one of three factions (A, B or C).

There are 5 possible heads of state. These are Bao Dai -3/+1, Ky -2/0, Thieu -3/0 Minh -1/0 and ? +1/0. The first number indicate the leaders effect on SVN morale and the second number the influence on US morale.

The head of state stays until he is unsettled by a coup. A coup changes leaders but also has a negatice effect on both US and SVN morale.

Divisional commanders and corps level commanders each have a loyalty value and a effectivness value. The loyalty values influence the chances of there being a coup and the effectivnes value influences the combat value of the troops.

The Free World player can try to get an ineffective leader removed, but if they fail then that leader might well become less loyal to the government. Each political phase the system checks how many leaders that are pro coup and anti coup (a loyalty test). And if there are more leaders that want a coup than not then a coup might occur or there might be unrest. Unrest also has a negative effect on morale.

Now this is how the system works in the boardgame. I will probably not be able to recreate this in its entirety, but i will try my best to get something similar but that is still somewhat streamlined.

Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Well, i seem to have hit some setbacks on the development of this, one caused by myself and the other (my opinon) by the limits of the editor.

1) The first setback concerns the pacification events. There are 37 provinces in SVN. Every seasonal interface (3rd round) they need to be checked for population allegiance. Since i have found no way to loop this event (lots of different modifiers, connected to certain hexes among other things). That means 37 different events. I did make an event a while back, and started to fill out the events. I did 14 provinces i think. But recently found that it was faulty, so back to the drawing board. So i have now worked a full week on the pacification events and am still not happy. And this is not fun work in any way. So i am taking a small pause from this work.

2) The second issue i am having is that the way a player can make programmed choices in AT/ATG is quite limited. Basicly there are actioncards and then there is the depreciated message event (that has some flaws of its own). So in a scenario like Vietnam there are maybe 60-70 different actions that each player can take each round. Deploy a myriad of different units, buy supply, draft, buy economic aid, buy replacements, disperse, increase draft, buy airpoints, riverine points, airmobile points, try to atempt coup, replace leaders etc etc. Now what all this means is actioncards and lots and lots of actioncards. So far i have 66 of them and it will probably be closer to 100 when i am done. Since i do not want each player facing 50+ actioncards each round i have had to resort to a programmed card within a card function. For example the US player wants to deploy a division. So he plays the deploy a division actioncard. This in turn gives him access to ca 10 US division actioncards. After he has played one of them the rest dissapear and he gets the deploy a division actioncard back. The next time he plays the deploy a division actioncard he will get them back except for the one card he had already played.

Now this is in my opinion a little bit clumsy and not the best sollution. I think the editor could be improved in this respect. On suggestion was put forward by another player to be able to play multiselection events like in DC:WTP. I agree with this. Also i think players should be able to program/edit their own buttons on the interface.

Enough complaining. Time for some screenshots

IV Corps

Attachments
IV corps.jpg
IV corps.jpg (346.11 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Grymme

Post by Grymme »

One interesting thing about the Vietnam war is that there is practically no preplaced units. Each side gets a certain amount of resources on round 1 and then uses these resources to place units where he wants (with some limitations). This makes for some great variation i think.

So these screenshots are just from a setup that i used. The SVN player could just as well have concentrated 5 divisions in the north if he had wanted.

Attachments
IIIIICorps.jpg
IIIIICorps.jpg (498.76 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Grymme

Post by Grymme »

And finally I corps and North Vietnam

Attachments
Icorpssetup.jpg
Icorpssetup.jpg (433.87 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Grymme

Post by Grymme »

I am finally finished with the pacification events (puh). Horribly boring, but now i can work on some more fun stuff.

Here is the briefing and rules when it comes to the Ho Chi Minh Trail

1.4 The Ho Chi Minh Trail (Tchepone, Saravaneh, Ban Tasseng, Lomphat, O’rang & Svay Riengh)

There are six potential NLF bases on the Ho Chi Minh trail. These are (from north to south) Tchepone, Saravaneh, Ban Tasseng, Lomphat, O’rang and Svay Riengh.

Tchepone and Saravaneh start the game as NLF bases. The other locations can be converted to NLF bases by upgrading the Ho Chi Minh trail. Each location has 1000 structural points and produce 1K each round.

The number of fully functional (undamaged) bases on the Ho Chi Minh trail determine how many military supplies are created by spending a NVA commitment point. Bases can be damaged by strategic bombing from the US or occupied by invading Laos or Cambodia. A damaged or occupied base does not count when it comes to determine how many supplies the NLF receives.

Upgrading the trail has the following cost and effects.

Functional bases 1 commitment= Military supplies Cost to upgrade to

None__________________________6__________________ At start
1_____________________________7___________________At start
2_____________________________8___________________At start´
3_____________________________9___________________8
4_____________________________10__________________10
5_____________________________11__________________12
6_____________________________12__________________12

Grymme

Post by Grymme »

The Campaign scenario is actually starting to come together nicely, there are still smaller things to do, but those qualify more under the adding flavour category so i am going to start a human vs human game. I will be playing the communists.

Might make a small AAR about it.

Meanwhile here is the Briefing, in its current state. It looks much better in word format, but you can get an idea.

Vietnam 1965-1975

Index
Movement
Terrain & Locations
Weather
Intelligence
The ARVN Ineffective
Units
Rangers
Combat
Pacification
Strategic bombing
Politics
SVN leaders
Coups
Morale and commitment
Game events and morale
Invasions
Reinforcements and commitment
Offensives
Reinforcements
Free world allies
Population and draft levels
Northern recruits for the VC
ARVN recruiting
Supplies
Augmenting the ARVN
VC mobilization
Population
Supplies
Local guerilla companies
The NVA
Withdrawal
Scenarios

Sources and Credits
Vietnam 1965-1975 by Victory Games
The Rise and Fall of an American Army by Shelby Stanton
Vietnam Order of Battle by Shelby Stanton
Victory by the People’s Army by the military institute of Vietnam
Various books on the subject by Osprey
SOG
A Rumour of War by Caputo.

Abbreviations
NVA = North Vietnam or Democratic Republic of Vietnam
PAVN = People’s Army of Northern Vietnam
NLF = National Liberation front
PLAF= Peoples Liberation Armed Forces
SVN= South Vietnam or Republic of Vietnam
ARVN = Army of the Republic of Vietnam.

Scale
The game starts in June 1965 and ends in June 1975 if not before. Each round is a month long. Every third month (June, September, December and March) is a seasonal interface.
Units are generally battalions or regiments with brigade or division level HQs. One subformation generally represents a squad of infantry or approximately 10 vehicles.

General rule changes
The effect of tactical supply is greatly reduced. Units only get a 5% supply automatic drop. Supply has no weight. Each side gets a more than nesscessary supply dumped at the HQ closest to Saigon/Dong Hoi.

HQ power distance is changed from 3 to 8 and each step away reduces staff bonus by 10%. It is still possible to build new units from PPs but the cost is increased. Building a new unit cost 5PPs and building a new HQ 10PPs. Changing a units HQ only carries a 10% penalty.
Morale recovery is 100% each round.

The map
The white borders are province borders.
White names are province names.
The two numbers in the hex directly below the province names are SVN controlled population in the province and the total population in the province.
Cities with circles in them are provincial or special zone capitols. Cities with port symbols are starting locations for raising new Free world units.

Movement

The movement matrix has changed in some ways.
Foot Wheel Tracked Artillery Airmobile Riverine
Grassland 14 10 10 40 6 -
Cultivated 14 40 30 50 6 -
Sea - - - - 6 10
Jungle 30 50 40 70 6 -
Swamp 35 60 60 - 6 10
Hills 28 30 30 90 6 -
Forrested hill 40 70 60 90 6 -
Mountains 40 70 70 100 6 -
Urban 14 10 10 30 6 25
Fortification 14 10 10 30 6 25
Fortress 14 10 10 30 6 25
Road 14 7 7 30 6 -

Ship
Grassland -
Cultivated -
Sea 4
Jungle -
Swamp -
Hills -
Forrested hill -
Mountains -
Urban 20
Fortification 20
Fortress 20
Road -

Apart from the normal movement types Vietnam introduces two special movement types: Airmobile and riverine.
Air mobilized units are land units that move on land but with air speed.
Units mobilized by riverine vessels are good at moving in swamp terrain and can move in urban and sea terrain but nowhere else.

Terrain & Locations

Heavy Forrest has been given a 30 hide value instead of 20.
There are a couple of new terrains in Vietnam: Grassland, Forrested hills and cultivated.
Grassland & cultivated hexes are basically plains (although cultivated hexes provide an extra modifier in the pacification phase). Forrested hills are basically low mountains but with some extra cover (hide value 25 instead of 20).
Roads or other locations cannot be built in this scenario.

1.1 Reinforcement Areas
US reinforcements can arrive at any of the following locations: Hue, Da Nang, Tam Ky, Qui Nhon, Nha Trang, Cam Ranh, Yung Tao, Saigon and My Tho (all marked with a port symbol).
There are airbases at start placed outside the cities of (from north to south) Da Nang, Pleikku, Nha Trang, Pham Rang, Bien Hoa, and Can Tho. Reinforcements in the form of air points & airmobile points can only arrive here.

1.1 Honolulu & Okinawa
Honolulu is a US base and Okinawa a USM base. Each base produce 5K every round. Each also cost 2 replacement points each round. If there are not enough replacement points available then the production of the bases shuts down. The production will reopen again automatically when replacement points are available.
Honolulu and Okinawa are the only locations available for customized production of replacements.

1.2 Vinh Linh, Dong Hoi & Lang Mo
Vinh Linh, Dong Hoi and Lang Mo are NVA cities. Each city produces 3K every round. They do not cost replacement points to operate. They can be subject to strategic bombing. They each have 3000 structural points and rebuild automatically 200 each round.

1.3 Saigon & Vung Tao
Saigon is an SVN city and Vung Tao a SVM city. Saigon produces 5K and Vung Tao 2k. They do not cost replacement points to operate.

1.4 The Ho Chi Minh Trail (Tchepone, Saravaneh, Ban Tasseng, Lomphat, O’rang & Svay Riengh)
There are six potential NLF bases on the Ho Chi Minh trail. These are (from north to south) Tchepone, Saravaneh, Ban Tasseng, Lomphat, O’rang and Svay Riengh.
Tchepone and Saravaneh start the game as NLF bases. The other locations can be converted to NLF bases by upgrading the Ho Chi Minh trail. Each location has 1000 structural points and produce 1K each round. The number of fully functional (undamaged) bases on the Ho Chi Minh trail determines how many military supplies are created by spending a NVA commitment point. Bases can be damaged by strategic bombing from the US or occupied by invading Laos or Cambodia. A damaged or occupied base does not count when it comes to determine how many supplies the NLF receives.

Upgrading the trail has the following cost and effects.

Functional bases 1 commitment= Military supplies Cost to upgrade to
None 6 At start
1 7 At start
2 8 At start
3 9 8
4 10 10
5 11 12
6 12 12

Intelligence
The communist side has no fog of war which means that they can always see the exact location of all free world units.

2.1 Weather
During monsoon season (March, April and May) US air units suffer a 50% negative offensive modification in combat.

Peoples
NVA (dark blue)
These are North Vietnamese army regular army soldiers. They have a high morale of 60 but units start with no experience with the exception of staff that starts with 40 experience.

VC (dark red)
Viet Cong. Communist guerilla in South Vietnam. They have a high morale of 60 and units start with 20 experience except for staff which start with 60 experience.

US (light green)
United State army units. They have morale of 50 and start with no experience. Each round every US unit has an 8% chance of losing all its experience because of troop rotation.

USM (dark green)

SVN (yellow)
South Vietnamese regulars. They make up the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN). These men are troubled by a low morale of 40 and start with no experience. Each round there is a 7% chance that a South Vietnamese unit will be ineffective causing a 100% drop in readiness. This chance increases to 15 % if the government is unstable and 30 % if there is a coup.

SVM (light yellow)
South Vietnamese Marines. These elite troops do not suffer from ineffectiveness. They have a base morale of 45.

Korean (purple)

Thai (grey)

Australian (light blue)

ANZAC (brown)

Philippines

Free World Allies
Korean
After commitment reaches 50 there is a 50% chance each season that the Capitol Division arrives in Saigon. After the Capitol Division has arrived there is a 20 % chance each season that the 9th Division will arrive. After both these divisions has arrived there is a 35 % chance each season that the 2nd Marine Brigade will appear. Each Division automatically increases commitment by 3 and the Marine Brigade by 1.

Australian, ANZAC and Phillipine CAG
The Australian Royal Regiment with ANZAC battalion and the Phillipine CAG group will all appear after Free world commitment reaches 150.

Thai
When US commitment has reached 200 there is a 50 % chance each season that the Royal Thai Division will arrive as in Saigon. It automatically increases commitment by 3.

There are no replacements for Free World Allied units.

Combat
Max stacking in a hex has been changed from 100 to 300 and max per extra hex side from 50 to 150.

The seasonal interface
The seasonal interface occurs once every three months (June, September, December and March).
During the seasonal interface pacification and South Vietnamese politics occur. The seasonal interface is also the only time to deploy new units, military supplies, economic aid programs and other assets.

Creating new units
The only new troops that can be deployed in between seasonal interface months are replacements and VC companies.

During the seasonal interface units are generally deployed by playing the appropriate action card. On the action card the cost of deploying the unit is listed. US and NVA units generally cost commitment to bring in. ARVN and NLF units cost military supplies and personnel in the form of drafting from the population. Military supplies for creating ARVN and NLF units are created by the NVA or US spending commitment to build military supplies. Personnel for ARVN are the available SVN controlled population. Personnel for the NLF is available controlled population or through infiltrating recruits from the north.

ARVN and other free units can be placed in any of the port cities.
NVA units can be placed in North Vietnam.

PLAF companies can be placed anywhere in South Vietnam. Battalions can be placed anywhere in South Vietnam in proximity to the trail (4-8 hexes) or within 5 hexes of the coast. Regiments and Division HQs can be places anywhere in South Vietnam in proximity to the trail.

Building Military Supplies
Building up military supplies for the ARVN is not complicated. Playing the appropriate action card nets 7 supplies and cost 1 commitment.
Building military supplies for the NLF can be done in two ways, by sending them down the Ho Chi Minh Trail or by Sea Supply. The number of supplies created by sending them down the Ho Chi Minh trail is described more in detail in the Ho Chi Minh trail section. Spending 1 commitment can net 6-12 supplies depending on the optimal and effective status of the trail.
The number of supplies built by using sea supply depends on the status of any existing Naval Blockade. Every commitment spent can create 5-10 supply according to this formulation.
5 supplies is automatically created. For each one of supply 6-10 there is an interdiction chance of 10% for every US commitment spent on the naval blockade.

Example: If the US naval blockade were 3 then the chance of each supply above 5 being interdicted would be 30 % for a statistical likelihood of 1,5 supplies being interdicted each round.

Raising NLF draft
The NLF also uses its controlled population for creating units but the communist side can also spend commitment to infiltrate personnel to the south and thereby raising the possible draft by raising the population.

The number of new population added by spending commitment is related to the previous relationship between the current draft and the available population according to this schedule.

Draft level less than 400 % of population 12 personnel
Draft level 401-600 % of population 9 personnel
Draft level 601-800 % of the population 6 personnel
Draft level 801 % or more of the population 3 personnel

Pacification
Each pacification phase the US player must determine the effects of the war on the Vietnamese people.

This is done province by province. Each province has a population between 12 and 45 points (with 210 for Saigon and Gia Dinh). Each point represents 15 000 - 20 000 people.
The population in a province will usually be divided between supporting the SVN and the NFL. Each pacification phase this can be subject to change.
A random 1-100 roll is made. The higher the roll the more population shifts towards SVN control. A lower roll indicates a shift towards NFL control.
The total amount of population available for SVN and NFL is the SVN/NFL total population and this determines how large of an army either side can draft. The development of the total population of each side can be viewed in the statistics window under pop.

6.1 Pacification table
Die roll Population shift
>1 -4
1-20 -3
21-30 -2
31-40 -1
41-50 0
51-70 +1
71-80 +2
81-90 +3
<91 +4

The random roll is subject to the following modifiers.
-5/10 If a capital in the province is enemy occupied (some provinces have several capitols).
-1 for each 90 power points of enemy forces in the province.
-1 /for each 120 power points of enemies in any cultivated hex, airfield, or town in the province (in addition to the above number so the same unit is counted twice if in a town or cultivated hex).
-5 if SVN morale is less than 70.
+5 if SVN morale is more than 140.
-1 For each 5% population less 50 % of the total population in control of SVN (max 10).
+1 for each 5% population more than 50 % of the total population in control of SVN (max 10).
+ 5 if the option Free World advantage is chosen.

Strategic Bombing

The US can perform strategic bombing of NVA cities in North Vietnam. Each city has 3 000 location points. If US bombing damages a city US morale declines by 1 per city damaged that month. At the same time SVN morale rise by 1 per damaged city + 50% chance of another point.

Politics in Southern Vietnam

There are five different political leaders in Southern Vietnam. Each one has a specific effect on South Vietnamese and US morale

Name SV Morale US morale Faction
Bao Dai -3 +1
Thiueu -3 0
Minh -1 0
Ky -2 0
Than +1 0

Each round there is a possibility of political unrest or a military coup taking place in South Vietnam. The default chance of that happening is 8 % for a military coup and 7 % for unrest

A military coup lowers SVN morale by 8 and Free world morale by 3.

Political unrest lowers SVN morale by 3 and Free world morale by 1. Political unrest also increases the chance of a coup or further political unrest happening by 1 % per time (until a coup actually occurs when it is reset to 0).

Finally political unrest and military coups increases the chance that ARVN units will become unavailable because of lack of readiness the round they occur.

The chance of a coup or political unrest is also influenced by SVN morale
SVN morale
Less than 70 +2% chance
70-119 +-0% chance
120 or more -2% chance.

The US can attempt to induce a Military Coup in South Vietnam. It does not cost anything to attempt and increases the chance of a coup happening to ca 50 %. Should a US supported coup attempt fail though it will mean a -3 decline in Free world morale.

Morale and commitment
Neither the US nor the powers backing North Vietnam was waging a total war. Both sides were limited in their commitment by what national morale would allow. This means that neither side may deploy units if doing so would increase the commitment of that side so that it is bigger than morale.

9.1 North Vietnamese morale is influenced by the following factors.
If US commitment is between
51-75 +3
76-100 +6
101-125 +9
126-150 +12
151-175 +15
176-200 +18
201-250 +21
251-300 +24
301-350 +27
351-400 +30
401+ +35

+ 20 % of new US commitment

If NVN morale is between
Less than 40 +5
41-70 +6
71-100 +7
101-150 +8
151-200 +9
201-300 +10
301-400 +11
401+ +12

9.2 US Morale is influenced by the following
Coup -3
Unrest -1
Bombing of the north -1/ city damaged during the month.

-1 for every third Regional or other capitol under enemy control.

If SVN controlled population is
480 or less -2
483-570 -1
573-720 0
723-810 +1
811+ +2
If US commitment is
100-150 -1
151-250 -2
251-375 -3
376+ -4
US new commitment
5-15 -1
16-25 -2
-1 for each additional 5 commitment that round

US invade
North Vietnam -7
Laos -2
Cambodia -2
SVN invade
North Vietnam -5
Laos -1
Cambodia -1

9.3 SVN morale is affected by the following
+1/bombed NV city that month (+50% chance of another +1)
+20% of new US commitment.
+ 1-3/+1 Economic Aid program.

Scenarios:

Battle for I Corps
This scenario is 5 rounds long and played over the five provinces of Corps I area.

1. 1965-1975 the Battle for South VietnamThis scenario is the grand campaign. It starts in June 1965 and ends at the end of May 1975 (a total of 10 years, 40 seasons and 120 rounds).
Setup
The Free World player starts first. South Vietnam starts with 100 military supplies to build and deploy the ARVN army. ARVN units placed in the first round (only) can be placed in any hex in South Vietnam.
South Vietnamese morale is 65. Free world morale is 520 and commitment 25.
The US 3rd and 4th Marines and one Cruiser start at Da Nang. The US also have 21 air points and 3 replacement points in support. Naval blockade strength is 1.
The Communist player goes second and has 90 military supplies to build his PLAF guerilla force. The Ho Chi Minh trail starts with two effective NLF bases Tchepone and Saravaneh.
The communist player also gets to place one NVA division anywhere in North Vietnam or Laos. NVA morale starts at 10 and commitment at 0. The communist side has the ability to deploy 2 free companies each round and start with 4 replacement points..
Neither side can buy military supplies during the first seasonal interface. After the first round new US/ARVN forces can only be deployed in the designated reinforcement areas (marked with a port symbol).

Victory
The Communist side wins if SVN ever controls less than 450 in population or if communist side at any time capture and hold Saigon.
The Free world side wins if neither victory condition has been fulfilled by the start of June 1975.
Viet

Jarhead0331

Post by Jarhead0331 »

Outstanding work!!! Keep it up.&nbsp; One little thing that popped out at me though...

In the US airmobile battalion, it looks like the image you used for the UH1B is actually a Sikorsky H-5. When you get around to it, you might want to change that image.&nbsp; Otherwise, most impressive mod I've ever seen for ATG!

S/F
de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
82ndtrooper

Post by 82ndtrooper »

wow !

its like a completely new game
HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80
Grymme

Post by Grymme »

Thanks for the encouragment

Jarhead: Will make a not of this and hopefully the final version will have the right chopper.

For those interested i have uploaded a small human vs human introductory scenario to my website. Its pretty far from the campaign game and the scenario itself is in betatesting. But for those who are interested in the conflict can check it out can download it there.

Here is the Briefing. The attached screenshot shows the Free World setup at the start of the game.

BATTLE FOR I CORPS

BACKGROUND

The Battle for I Corps scenario starts in March 1967 and lasts until the end of August 1967 (5,5 rounds because the Communist player starts and get a round before the Free World player can react).

The battleground is the five provinces in I Corps. Each side is fully deployed and start with 120 replacement points. The US has 60 air points, 2 cruisers and a carrier for support.

Da Nang is a USM base, Dong Hoi a NVA base and Tchepone an NLF base for this scenario.

The Free World will get some reinforcements in the form of 1st Cavalry Division HQ and 2nd Brigade arriving in Da Nang on the second full round.

WEATHER
Monsoonweather between march and june will result in a -50% modifier for air units.

REPLACEMENTS
Each side has an actioncard that lets you reinforce any existing units by expending an replacement point. Adding replacements to a unit sets that units AP to 0 so it cannot be used mor that round. Each side start with 120 replacement points. Remember that the number of replacement points affect the victory point count also.

PLAF COMPANYS
The Communist side can place 2 small guerilla companies in any hex each round as reinforcements.

VICTORY

At the start of round 7 communist Victory Points are counted according to the following

+1 /city occupied at any end of a round
+3/ provincial capital occupied at any end of a round
+10/ Da Nang or Hue occupied at any end of a round
+ 1/ 100 power points killed
+1 /6 communist replacement points left
-1/ 200 power points lost
-1/8 free world replacement points left

Attachments
battleforicorps.jpg
battleforicorps.jpg (283.12 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Keunert

Post by Keunert »

i did post your scenario work on the wargamer as there are some at g players and a lot of other gamers that are interested in the period.
i hope you don't mind

http://www.wargamer.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=566308
Grymme

Post by Grymme »

No problems Keunert. Altough i get a little embarrased that you called me a mastermind :/ It might blow up peoples expectations a little. But hey, any publicity is good publicity.

But just to be clear. The Battle scenario is in beta and the campaign scenario is not finished either.

EDIT. I also want to comment the discussion about donations on the Wargamers board. To be clear, its not about money. I also play poker. I typically make more money playing poker for a couple of hours than i have done in total on all of my scenarios for ATG. Its more of a principle thing. If i work a year or half a year on a scenario (and spend 1-200$ on books researching it) then id like to get some effort back. I feel appreciated. I tried at first just having a donate button and all scenarios downloadable. It didnt work. Had it worked i would do that instead.

Keunert

Post by Keunert »

my engrish isn't as präzis as my german. mastermind sounded fine in my ears.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Yep, sounds good to me too. It takes a dedicated and skilled mind to create scenarios like these. I don't come even close to creating things like that. [&o]
&nbsp;

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”