AE Grandmaster

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Barb

RE: AE Grandmaster

Post by Barb »

Cuttlefish should be at least a Grandmaster honoris causa (or grandfather) for his Hibiki AAR
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

My wife calls me "Master of the Universe." That will do for now.....[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
khyberbill

Post by khyberbill »

I would throw rtrapasso's name into the hat. And an honorable mention for Sneer. He has not been active for awhile but he knew how to play WITP.
"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

I would like to also nominate Alfred, LoBaron, ny59giants, Mike Solli, Q-Ball, cantona2,and Fletcher on top of those worthy players that have already been put-forward. I consider that all the players so far mentioned in this thread, have put many tireless hour though their writings into helping others better understand this game. I also consider all to be brilliant tacticians in their own-right, and they would have made worthy theatre commanders in the real war.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
WLockard

Post by WLockard »

Alfred, PzB, and Nemo21 get my vote.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: jmalter
ORIGINAL: Alfred
the quality and accuracy of their constructive contributions to the forum which demonstrate mastery of the game.
FWIW here's my listie of some folks who deserve recognition:
- witpqs, he's got an eye for detail & a good answer to the question that was asked;
- michealm, developer/coder sanspareil;
- Cribtop, for superlatively well-organized & informative AARs; &
- Cuttlefish, who puts us 'into the action' while reminding us of the human side of global war.

Thank you! But I am not worthy. Perhaps one day... [8D]
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

I think that any list of those with Grandmaster (or Grandfather) status would have to begin with Pzb.

+1

I also agree with Nemo.
Pax
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Wait...didn't Canoerebel try to renounce his citizenship once? Seems to me you don't get a top secret security clearance after that? [:)][:'(]

Also..will the Grandmasters be getting special powers and some cool magic wands or something?
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I would have to add Rader to this list just because of his ability to take almost all of China and India from Greyjoy. We have had players come close to taking India, but not both.
[center]Image[/center]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

There are a heck of alot of experienced and capable AE players, all of whom belong in roughly the same classification - good guys/good players. IMO, there are only a few that are clearly at the head of the class.

But three guys who jump at out me as deserving special mention:

Terminus: Just because it wil irritate the fire out of him.

Bullwinkle: Because he's a good Moose.

GreyJoy: Because the guy is keeping the entire forum entertained with his steadfastness, foibles, creative spelling, and genuine cheerfulness.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

GreyJoy: Because the guy is keeping the entire forum entertained with his steadfastness, foibles, creative spelling, and genuine cheerfulness.

Me thinks GreyJoy has already earned the title of Grand-Noob. What a heart the guy has!
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Terminus: Just because it wil irritate the fire out of him.
+1

[:D]
Pax
Wirraway_Ace

Post by Wirraway_Ace »

Can one be a Grand Master having never read the manual? If so, Cap Mandrake should certainly be in the discussion. But seriously [:D]

I do feel that if one nominates a player, they should have to make a compelling case.

My two:

PzB. The way he has disrupted his experienced opponent throughout his operational and strategic depth is a thing of sublime beauty.

Nemo21. No player I have yet seen puts into practice the concept that so many struggle to define--strategic objectives--like Nemo. Others talk it. Nemo identifies then pursues with ruthless efficiency and purpose those objectives.

OK, I think Cap Mandrake is clearly very skilled too....
Raverdave

Post by Raverdave »

................and then there are those past members who deserve naming.........Drongo comes to mind along with Mogami, and AusCobra did a power of work in the early days. And then there are all the plank-owners that stretch back to the dim days of UV.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I would like to also nominate Alfred, LoBaron, ny59giants, Mike Solli, Q-Ball, cantona2,and Fletcher on top of those worthy players that have already been put-forward. I consider that all the players so far mentioned in this thread, have put many tireless hour though their writings into helping others better understand this game. I also consider all to be brilliant tacticians in their own-right, and they would have made worthy theatre commanders in the real war.

DivePac88, thank you very much for your nomination, but how I understand Alfreds definition of Grandmaster I do not even come close. [;)]
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Like Canoerebel, I'm honored just to be mentioned in this thread. I personally would say I've learned a lot from the following players: jrcar, Nemo121, Alfred, Canoerebel, Cuttlefish, Mike Solli, ny59giants, Alfred, PzB, John 3rd.
corbon

Post by corbon »

Speaking (perhaps out of turn) as someone who does not play this game, has no interest in playing this game and has no general interest in the PTO at all, but guests here regularly to follow a number of AARs because despite all of the above they are damned interesting and offer a vicarious view of a number of strategic, tactical and logistical* problems, often from both sides of the fence:

It seems clear to me that there are several 'levels' of recognition that are being mooted here.
Alfred's original idea seemed really to be a public recognition of 'this guy (or gal) is a really top-rate player'. It serves two purposes, first as a little bit of in-house recognition that is both an personal ego-boost for the recipient (I know, from personal experience, that that isn't why you have (or acquire) such awards or ratings, but it is a nice feeling, and something akin to a 'thanks' from the general public) and second that it serves notices to the 'uninformed' that this person is someone perhaps worth listening to** - perhaps more than most.
Others seem to have latched onto the idea but expanded it out into a general 'has given something to the community' award.

Perhaps there could be more than one 'classification'?

Now I don't really know the community here well enough to be a good judge so my 'placements' may be well off and I apologise for any mistakes or omissions.
But it seems clear to me that, for example, Greyjoy, though having given much entertainment from his first AAR, would not qualify in the slightest for anything except perhaps a 'special award' for sustained enthusiasm in the face of adversity. [;)]

Canoerebel, though I have and am following several outstanding AARs, seemed to my untrained eye to demonstrate skill, but not brilliance in 'defeating' Q-Ball. CR let Q-Ball defeat himself, if extemely competently. Had Q-Ball gone full out for India and CR held after a decisive carrier battle, for example, than that would be a step up in my view. In the current AAR vs Chez, CR has been brilliant, so it seems to me, at throwing, and keeping, Chez off balance. But is this once enough for 'GM' status and is Chez an opponent of high enough quality to make this a big enough achievement? I don't know, I'm just asking. But at the moment I would guess that CR is one of the better players around, and a definite up-and-comer so to speak but perhaps just below that GM level? I'm sure, and I think he has said himself, that Alfred/Nemo level is where he still aspires to be, not where he is.

The two that really stand out, and don't forget that I'm a relative noob even watching here (about a year) so don't know all the 'history', in their advice and comments are Alfred and Nemo. Their comments, advice and analysis are on a different level to anyone else. Almost less useful some of the time, because it's too far above some people they are advising sometimes (it seems to me), but clearly on another plane.

I don't know what else Rader has done, but there is no level of outstanding achievement against a rank noob like Greyjoy that would qualify anyone as a GM IMO. Its like a 4 turn mate in chess - it says everything about the opponent and nothing at all useful about the player achieving it. Sorry Greyjoy...

PzB seems to be a good potential candidate, but I don't see anything on a plane with Alfred and Nemo in his AARs or in him commenting in other's AARs.

Cuttlefish and 1275psi in particular have awesome, awesome, awesome AARs. But about the game itself, its not so easy to tell how good they are.

I reckon you could start with something like this:
Grand Masters
Alfred, Nemo

Masters
PzB, CR

Special Recognition
Cuttlefish, 1275psi, maybe Greyjoy.

I'm sure there are many others that belong in those categories that I don't know.

And out of turn or not, thank you all for the quality of AARs in particular and depth of analysis often given in this forum.

*I always 'knew' that amateurs dally in tactics, professionals in logistics, but this game is the first I've seen that really drove the point home (and one reason I'm not likely to ever play it - I'd hate to be playing at less than what I could but don't have the time to get into the logistical side).

** Greyjoy in particular has got a lot of advice and encouragement in his AAR, often contradictory, and it seems like he often has struggled to discern what is good advice and what is not
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Don't forget Radar is also playing scenario 2 against Greyjoy (i.e. Japan on steroids)
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

I'd like to comment a little on Corbon's rather fascinating contribution if I may...

I agree that there's a difference between what Alfred is looking for and what is developing with the nominations. Alfred was, I believe, seeking to, by community acclaim, highlight those who may through their writings and actions be worth paying close attention to in AARs flooded by all manner of advice. One of the main problems nowadays with the internet and the surfeit of books available on any topic is being able to discern the quality of the content/advice. Not all content/advice is equally valid and while good players may give bad advice on occasion and poor players give brilliant advice on occasion on the whole good players tend to be more spot on than bad players, on average. That much, I trust, is evident.

I believe that michaelm's contribution to the community is huge and deserves significant praise - although not unadulterated praise. Constructive criticism will only help improve the game - and from the interactions I've had with him I'm certain that michaelm would agree with that distinction.

Others contribute much in terms of style. The Voyages of the Hibiki and the recent travails of innumerable Kate and Zero pilots in 1275psi's AARs are interesting and diverting to read. Do I glean much strategic insight from those AARs? No but AARs exist to focus on what the author wishes to focus on. I enjoy and find it relaxing to write about strategic issues. So that's what I write about. Others enjoy writing with a different focus and the variety of AARs is one thing that makes the forum interesting to me.

With that said I'll confine myself to nominations for GrandMaster in terms of gameplay and/or clear evidence of a depth of strategic analysis.

The more players one has played and the more "correct" advice given has been the higher the marks.
Marks will be dropped if you show excellence but only against 1 or 2 opponents as sloppiness in an opponent can make gifts of opportunities which can flatter.

Nominations for Grand Master ( 1st rank ): Alfred, Jrcar.

Just below Grand Master (2nd rank ): PzB, Canoerebel, Grollub, PanzerjaegerHortlund

PzB: I'd like to see if he can recapitulate his successes against others than AndyMac. If he can then he definitely belongs in the first rank IMO.
Canoerebel: A good guy and a good player. Keen desire to improve. Learning and definitely has the strategic layer down more than 1 year ago. I'm unsure re: his experience with the meta-game and his self-awareness. If he improves there he could move up IMO.
Grollub: I haven't seen him AAR but from his comments he is sharp, decisive, disciplined and doesn't lack for a killer instinct. Dangerous.
PanzerjaegerHortlund: I've played him and am still playing him. He is intelligent, decisive, disciplined, has a self-awareness and an awareness of the meta game. He can subjugate his ego needs to the game and he is ruthless. In short he is very dangerous IMO. I think, personally, that PzHortlund is probably the most dangerous - in my estimation - at this level.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

Well, It is even redundant (sp!?) and so obvious to say that my name doesn't belong to anything that has the word "master" in it. Com'on guys, i just started to play and every day committ so many mistakes (not only strategically, but also related to the base mechanics of the game) that i can only be defined as a noob. Maybe an enthusiast noob, but always a noob[:)]

Being a noob i cannot say who is the best. Hard to tell also because we are all influenced by the frequence of players' presence on the Forum. The fact that my name has been mentioned is a good evidence of that imho.

I can only say, from the incredible number of contributors to my AAR, that there are a lot of people there who have (and are willing to share) a very deep comprehension of the game and of its strategical implications.

For sure Nemo and Alfred have shown a depth in their analisi which is difficult to find elsewhere.

I'd also like to mention NY59Giants, who to my eyes is a GM. ADB who to me seems really competent too. FatR is another guys never mentioned above (i know he's not very popular on the forum) but who is clearly competent. CR clearly...but the list will be long... and consider that i do attend these forums only since Feb so...

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”