Help. Lost Smolensk on turn 6!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Scotters1

Help. Lost Smolensk on turn 6!

Post by Scotters1 »

I'm the Russians versus a hard AI. I have lost Smolensk, all my lines keep getting cut up like a knife though butter, and my secondary lines become front lines before I can dig in. This is my first campaign, and I'm in trouble, but having fun.

Iv'e been building construction units only, and have put good generals in charge of Stavka and the main fronts. All my armies have 3 constructin units, and I'm trying to add more to the front HQs.

Ive kept for the airforce in reserve till now. I plan on throwing everything in this turn, and using my ap points to convert obsolute planes to better planes.

If someone tells me how to do a screen shot, I will include one in my next post.
Balou

RE: Help. Lost Smolensk on turn 6!

Post by Balou »

hit "alt" + "print screen"
open MS Paint or the like
paste picture
save
embed in post
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
Scotters1

Post by Scotters1 »

Here is the picture.

Attachments
Turn6matrixforum.jpg
Turn6matrixforum.jpg (287.93 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Balou forgot step 1. Move the cursor to someplace where it will not generate a popup. [;)]

Over the jump map or between the buttons in the top toolbar are good places.

Edit: Your lines don't look too bad though, unless something horrible is hiding under the popup...[;)]
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
gargoil

Post by gargoil »

ORIGINAL: Scotters1976

I'm the Russians versus a hard AI. I have lost Smolensk, all my lines keep getting cut up like a knife though butter, and my secondary lines become front lines before I can dig in. This is my first campaign, and I'm in trouble, but having fun.

Iv'e been building construction units only, and have put good generals in charge of Stavka and the main fronts. All my armies have 3 constructin units, and I'm trying to add more to the front HQs.

Ive kept for the airforce in reserve till now. I plan on throwing everything in this turn, and using my ap points to convert obsolute planes to better planes.

If someone tells me how to do a screen shot, I will include one in my next post.

It's interesting to compare your Russian game vs my Axis game. It is my first game of WitE as well. I am playing on Normal, as I hear the Soviets are quite formidible against a human. I am on turn 7. So very comparable. I have units adjecent Smolensk, and 2 hexes from Leningrad. I have taken Kiev. So, I would say you are doing okay. When I play the Soviets, I am going to need to know the "what and when" to build - that seems very ciritcal and I must admit building nothing by construction units totally suprises me.
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

When playing human vs human, Smolensk usually falls around turn 6, so I would actually say you are doing ok.
RTW3 Designer
Scotters1

Post by Scotters1 »

Here is a better picture.

Attachments
BetterPic..hefront.jpg
BetterPic..hefront.jpg (276.58 KiB) Viewed 260 times
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

No need to panic! That is where the Germans usually are, if not even further on. Read some AARs and you will get a feel for where the front usually is.

A tip: Turn on hex control and fortification if relevant when doing screenshots, as that will help to interpret what is going on.

Edit: Duh! Forts are on.
RTW3 Designer
Scotters1

Post by Scotters1 »

Guys, thanks for your support. One more question.

In the Leningrad area, do I need to have every hex covered next to the Finland no move line, or can I go every other hex?
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Every hex must be occupied by a unit, otherwise they will ooze through. SEC regiments are good for this, or forts if you can spare the APs.
RTW3 Designer
randallw

Post by randallw »

Playing on hard does give the Germans some superman ability to rough you up.
BletchleyGeek

Post by BletchleyGeek »

ORIGINAL: Scotters1976

Here is the picture.

That's what I would call a bikini screenshot, hiding the interesting parts.

You're not doing bad at all, as Tarhunnas and other posters have remarked. How are your losses (destroyed units) looking like?
sveint

Post by sveint »

Don't stack your units. Spread them out.
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

I don't know if the AI is smart enough to take advantage of it, but against a human, you will absolutely need to cover the 'backdoor' to Leningrad. This is the most southeastern hex north of the Neva river. It keeps the German from crossing and then taking the critical port to the NW of it. This is your only supply source if Leningrad is cut off from overland supply.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Would that be hex 83/ 16?

ORIGINAL: Mynok

I don't know if the AI is smart enough to take advantage of it, but against a human, you will absolutely need to cover the 'backdoor' to Leningrad. This is the most southeastern hex north of the Neva river. It keeps the German from crossing and then taking the critical port to the NW of it. This is your only supply source if Leningrad is cut off from overland supply.

Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

I am playing Barbarossa the 3rd time through after reading some AAR's as the Axis & I am trying to improve my ability to increase Soviet losses. I think the loss vs. push balance is the key. I haven't been paying much attention to Soviet losses before but I am learning I must pust as fast but become more deadly by efficient kesselschlacht, if I am making any sense. If the Axis has pushed far but your losses are low then it bodes better for you.

It is not that Somolensk has fallen but that Vitebsk & Mogilev have fallen too. the Axis push has been consolidated into a single axis & if this were a replay of the real campaign the shoulders would be ripe for a counterattack.

I would keep playing the first few turns over until you get more experience.

ORIGINAL: Bletchley_Geek

That's what I would call a bikini screenshot, hiding the interesting parts.

You're not doing bad at all, as Tarhunnas and other posters have remarked. How are your losses (destroyed units) looking like?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”