Composition of core units

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

Draghkar

Composition of core units

Post by Draghkar »

Hi all, I just want to know what core untis you buy and how many of each type you buy. I am planning to start a new game on general level and just want to learn from ypur experience !

Thanks in advance for your answers
Apollo1967

RE: Composition of core units

Post by Apollo1967 »

I'm only up to the Kursk battle, but I have

4 pionieres in skdfz 251's
1 Fallschrimjaeger
1 Gebirgsjaeger
1 Grenadier in an skdfz 251
1 Bruckenpioniere in an skdfz 250
3 Tiger VIE's
1 Panther D
4 Panzer IVG's
1 Panzer IVG Elite Unit
1 sdkfz 232 8-rad
1 21cm towed arty
1 Sturmpanzer self-propelled arty
3 Wuhrframen 40 self-propelled arty
1 30cm Nblwf towed arty
1 8.8cm flak 36
2 Bf109G's
1 FW190A
1 Me410A
3 Ju-87D Stukas
terje439

Post by terje439 »

4 engineers
2 paratroopers
3 arty
3 scouts
6-9 tanks
3 tank destroyers
6 fighters
2 strategic bombers
4 tactical bombers

Then as the game progresses I would fill up with fighters and tanks/tank destroyers as needed.
The Paratroopers I tend to make as soon as possible which is Norway in the -39 campaign. I then take the two INFs with no transports and the highest exp and upgrade them to paratroopers.
When I start a map with this setup, I usually advance on three fronts, 1 engineer, 1 arty, 1 scout, 2-3 tanks, 1 TD in each front. That is usually enough, although the engineers will need the occasional "refill" of strength as they are the ones that assault cities and dug in AT-guns.
The engineers and arty I always give the higest/best/latest transport available.

Terje
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Draghkar

Post by Draghkar »

Why do you use td and scout ? I intend to use just fighting units... ATM I realy dont see the use of TD or scouts. 
terje439

Post by terje439 »

TDs WILL save your life later on if you miss Moscow or Britain. When you get to 1943+ you will find some real beasts here. Granted the earlier ones are not that good, but I like to give them some experience before taking on some heavy Soviet/US/British tanks later on.

Scouts are good for a few reasons really;
-spotting. This way you reduce the chance to run into hidden units or attack a unit protected by arty
-move, stop, move. This is good when you scout so you do not have to run them into the shroud, but also for capturing a city and an AF with only one unit in the same turn, freeing up one unit to keep on the advance.
-slip between enemy positions and attack the arty in the rear (by moving, stopping. movin etc)
-take out allready damaged INF and arty (2-3 strength left) instead of waisting tanks or inf on that.

Terje

Apollo1967

Post by Apollo1967 »

Just to add to what Terje posted, recon units are also great for grabbing multiple objectives in one turn when you don't want to waste the movement of a combat unit.
Dragoon.

Post by Dragoon. »

Scouts are a great unit type with all the reason stated by terje439.
He actually wrote down exactly what I was going to say. Uncover of arty & AA, slip past units to attack arty, moping up etc. Obviously terje439 is a pro [:)]
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Dragoon
Obviously terje439 is a pro [:)]

Read my "blunders" post and guess again [:D]

Terje

SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

WTH! I'm going to give away my secret force config just to get a post.......I should say NOT! [;)] We might be playing head to head someday.......for "Champion of the World".[:'(]
Draghkar

Post by Draghkar »

Thanks for your answers. Dont be afraid SeaMonkey, I will never play a online game ;) I am too afraid to do so ;)
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Paranoia![X(]  Seems to be infective.[:D]

Return to “Panzer Corps”