AA

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

joey

AA

Post by joey »

Quick question. When I change AFV or Artillery to AA guns, the factory changes to say #X AA gun assembly. What does that translate to? Does it translate to 88s, 105s, 37mm, or just AA machine guns? Is there a way to increase 88 flak production at all?
Hard Sarge

RE: AA

Post by Hard Sarge »

lets put it this way, it is HARD Coded, the AI will make what changes it needs, if it needs to

one of the reasons we didn't release a editor, those data slots can't be touched or changed, or it changes how the game runs
joey

Post by joey »

Number one thing to improve this game: unHARDCODE! In the end, I don't want the AI making any changes or making any decisions in any game I play. I grew out of that ten years ago. j
Derfel

Post by Derfel »

It is HARD to unHARDcode when the developer/coder Harley has been off line for a while. [8D]

Problem is that much information about how the program works, simply isn't available.

It might be documented somewhere, so unless someone in the know comes out of the closet and tell you what 1 point in a FlAK factory is, then your guess is a good as mine. We can only experiment, but dang it would be good to know.
joey

Post by joey »

I have worked on classfied government projects where it was easier to get information than it is to figure out what one Flak point equates to. I think it would be interesting to dissect this program. I bet we could really create something!
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

in the long run, yea, agree, it may of been much easier to just recode the whole game from the start, but that wasn't the idea when it got started, and only though working with it, were we able to find out most of what was going on

in fact, what we got, wasn't even the last version of the game, so we had to re fix, what had already been fixed, most of the game was slot driven, but one goal was to add in more slots, once that was done, the whole program didn't match up anymore, also, making it from a DOS to a Windows program, really did some interesting things to it

really, it was a hell of a job, just to get the program to work, let alone, get it to do what it was suppose to

really was a lot of fun, working with a map, with no targets and no raids showing :)

lots of the game, were we could, we pulled the slots out of it, and it is all, game driven now, but, we couldn't do it, to everything, AA was one of them

but, just in case, you think I am trying to not explain things, one point of Flak ? means nothing

(I had done a lot of tests on it back in the day (and that day was a Friday !) but offhand, I forget all the numbers and details, maybe I can rerun some of them to get an idea)

joey

Post by joey »

HS, when this game was first released, there was an Excel editor released. I don't remember by whom. I have been using the editor to add/modify pilot names in the program. I have left most everything else alone. The game seems to play fine with a few names added and a few modfied. Do you see any issue with this? j
bettysteve

Post by bettysteve »

l don't know crap about programing at all, tried it once, l don't have the knack, but, l read what you said about hardcoding and that, fixing the "fixes", really dumb question, why not use the old usaaf as your starting point instead of the glitzy bombing the reich game? or is that what you did.
l love this game and thanks to all the people who made it what it is today. l never knew of the talonsoft version see, l just kept firing up the C64 to play usaaf, always as the allies, even back then the axis production was daunting.
l'm so obsessed with this, l printscreened the map and have it stuck on a pinboard behind me, makes marking the current axis airfields easier, hehehehe. black pins for Njg, yellow for Me 109's, white for Fw's. my next one will be to printscreen the axis and allied aircraft database, l like hard copy. its a old person thing.
again. thanks for the hours of work guys, l for one will repay those hours with as many hours in game time [:)]
begging for "likes" is demeaning to the begger.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”