DW now on Gamersgate.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ASHBERY76

DW now on Gamersgate.

Post by ASHBERY76 »

This is good news.It should also be on Steam.More sales means a possible 3D sequel in the future after a few more expansion packs.
Data

RE: DW now on Gamersgate.

Post by Data »

Yap, more visibility is good for everyone. Go DW and thanks Ash for letting us know
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Igard

Post by Igard »

Great news. Well spotted as usual Ash.
Romtos

Post by Romtos »

Only the base game it appears, not the expansion.

Any change we can register our copy on GamersGate with the key? (Unlikely, but can't hurt to ask).
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

From the opening post I'm left wondering in which way a game like this may possibly benefit from 3D ......
Don't be scared - I'm almost sure that I just want to play!
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Managing a space Empire is a lot more fun if the Empire is more aesthetically pleasing. The graphics are not Distant Worlds strongest point.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

3D would really, really set back modding though, it depends where your priorities lie I guess.  I know my mod wouldn't exist if I had to model the ships in 3D.  I don't know anything about the other modders around but I'm not sure they would have been able to model the star trek, BSG, Star Wars etc ships in 3D Max or whatever either.

I notice most 3D space games have modding but little of it and the few projects that are worked on take a very long time to make, quite often even being finished after the game is no longer in its prime and players have moved on to other things.  For example, aren't Homeworld 2 mods still in the works now???  Was there ever a Sins mod with so many Star Trek races etc?
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Romtos

Post by Romtos »

I think the 2D plane is fine for a game the scale of DW. I can't see 3D adding any strategic scope. Tactical, perhaps, but DW was never a tactical game.
J HG T

Post by J HG T »

Hopefully the expansion appears at the Gamersgate too. DW is much better with it.

Though I agree with Haree78 in good degree, I prefer practicality and ease of use over great visuals. If game has these things well balanced, all the better.
Also, Woodman brings a fair point; The more complicated the game engine gets, the few modders can work on the game. Jumping from 2D to 3D increases the amount of work greatly, and that's too much for many less skilled modders and DIY gamers.
And don't misunderstand me. I love well done games that take real advantage of being in 3D enviroment, but I think that DW game mechanics would not gain anything from jumping to 3D.
That just my two credits. No offences meant.  
Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."
Data

Post by Data »

This has been discussed before so I'll just state my preference for 2D as well.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Igard

Post by Igard »

Pretty much all of my Star Trek ships come from 3D models. So I'd need to get the permission of the owners again, but it would be alot of work to re-do all this. I'd need to think about it before taking on something like that.

I can actually see it happening if this game is successful enough. It would simply mean employing a 3D designer, which would free up Elliot to do alot more work on content. That would make sense to me.

If it does happen, I think it'll still be a few years away yet.

Do I think it needs to happen? No. I'd rather have good 2D graphics than mediocre 3D graphics and it doesn't detract from the gameplay for me. But it would be good for DW's and CF's image and getting more people to play.
Caesar_Augustus

Post by Caesar_Augustus »

Indeed, I must say that I also much prefer good 2D graphics over mediocre 3D graphics. Besides... the more important thing in a vast game like Dw+RoTS is to play with all these wonderful 2D images, but with a 3D mind... [;)]
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

A game like this does definitely suit 2D graphics. It would be nice if they were better 2D graphics though. Luckily a lot of it is moddable, but as we all know we want more :)
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

You can still have the game top down but with 3D graphics but it means things like seemless zooming and better performance by using the GPU instead of just taxing the CPU.
Data

Post by Data »

Sins style?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

3D would really, really set back modding though, it depends where your priorities lie I guess.  I know my mod wouldn't exist if I had to model the ships in 3D.  I don't know anything about the other modders around but I'm not sure they would have been able to model the star trek, BSG, Star Wars etc ships in 3D Max or whatever either.

I notice most 3D space games have modding but little of it and the few projects that are worked on take a very long time to make, quite often even being finished after the game is no longer in its prime and players have moved on to other things.  For example, aren't Homeworld 2 mods still in the works now???  Was there ever a Sins mod with so many Star Trek races etc?

Another problem with 3d is just how resource intensive it is. DW is already pretty taxing on your system with just the 2D, I could see a senario where making the game 3d would make it unplayable to the average gamer (IE your standard system is probably a dual core with 4 GB of ram).
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: Romtos

Any change we can register our copy on GamersGate with the key? (Unlikely, but can't hurt to ask).
Just curious - why would you want to do this ? What are the benefits - if any ?
Simulation01

Post by Simulation01 »

No one should get too worked up over any move to 3D.  Have you noticed how long it's taking on expansions for the 2D version????  We will never even get around to 3D so don't worry.
"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Romtos

Post by Romtos »

ORIGINAL: n01487477
ORIGINAL: Romtos

Just curious - why would you want to do this ? What are the benefits - if any ?
The moment I wrote that I post wanted to install DW again. But my CD's were still at my parent's place. Luckily, I was smart enough to make a backup of my initial downloaded copy, which now expired of course. But it took me a while to remember I did that. Still, I have all my other games on GamersGate. It'd convenient to have DW there as well.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”