Pilots 'auto-activating'

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Smeulders

Pilots 'auto-activating'

Post by Smeulders »

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following. When pilots are switched from a reserve to a squadron, they will enter into the squadron reserve when the arrive. (Grayed out in pilot list, but can be activated manually). However, when I've been a bit lazy and forget to activate the arriving pilots during a turn, it sometimes happens that they are activated when I look at the squadron some turns later. Does anyone know what might 'auto-activate' such a pilot. I have no problem managing the pilots, but it is annoying to first assign pilots to a unit and then having to go back a couple of times to that unit to make sure they actually activate. If there is a way around that I'd like to know.
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
LoBaron

RE: Pilots 'auto-activating'

Post by LoBaron »

I think this happens when you got more pilots in the squad than the maximum allowed number.
So for example more than 33 pilots in a 25 plane unit.
Then the activation/decativation routine is kind of random according to my experience.

To prevent this don´t go over the max allowed number and you should be ok. I think in the new beta
it not possible anymore anyway.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I try to put a lot of pilots in a training squadron stateside (so I can train at 100% without TOO much fatigue) and find that those that have high fatigue tend to "audo" deactivate! I suppose once they get back on their feet, good sleep and lots of coffee, they are reactivated and are good to go! But I might have that all wrong...
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

I think this happens when you got more pilots in the squad than the maximum allowed number.
So for example more than 33 pilots in a 25 plane unit.
Then the activation/decativation routine is kind of random according to my experience.

To prevent this don´t go over the max allowed number and you should be ok. I think in the new beta
it not possible anymore anyway.

You missed a nuance, LoBaron.[:)]

The key threshold is the 25 pilot (for an USA fighter squadron).

(A) Maximum size of unit is 25 planes. Unit has 28 pilots assigned.

Game will auto rotate pilots into airframes taking into account fatigue etc. Bring in 5 additional pilots. You are now up to the "normal" maximum of 33 pilots. The additional pilots will eventually count down to "1" delay. At that point, player has to right click on them to make them active. However therafter the program auto rotates the pilots into airframes but does not make a pilot inactive.

(B) Maximum size of unit is 25 planes. Unit has 34 or more pilots assigned.

Any new arriving pilots have to be activated as in (A). However when the program rotates pilots into and out of airframes due to fatigue, the "rested" pilot is made inactive (= delay "1"). The program will only maintain 25 pilots active as long as the unit remains over the 33 pilot threshold.

Alfred
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Excellent info, Alfred. Thank you. It's absolutely worth micro-managing the training groups but I would like to be able to not do so for the active ones. That tells me how.

[&o]
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Excellent info, Alfred. Thank you. It's absolutely worth micro-managing the training groups but I would like to be able to not do so for the active ones. That tells me how.

[&o]

Re reading my earlier post, there is one clarification point required. If a pilot has very high fatigue, say 90, the program doesn't seem to auto return them to the key 25 flying pilots. I don't think that would be an issue for you because I doubt you would really want to have a pilot with 90 fatigue flying.[:)]

In other words, the program does seem to take into account the fatigue levels before deciding a pilot is fit to resume duty.

Alfred
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Yeah, I don't over fatigue them. I find it helpful to keep extra pilots because that keeps fatigue down. Your method should work fine.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

I have observed, in one instance, that pilots which I manually set to unit reserve, did not get any experience for nearly a month. They were still in reserve, when I checked, and unit had some percentage set to train.

I admit, they all were "greens" from school, and unit actually was in combat, so that could be because AI decided NOT to risk them. Yet it may be something worth looking.

I think if AI de-activated pilot, it can activate it, when needed. I am not sure if it works for manually de-activated pilots.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”