What to do with them?

Fans of the old Panzer General series rejoice for the release of Panzer Corps. Following in the footsteps of the popular SSI masterpiece and sharing with the General series the same level of engagement and strategic depth, Panzer Corps will keep an unmistakable "PG feeling" whilst improving and refining the gameplay and balance. Panzer Corps will feature 26 scenarios on 21 unique maps, covering most major battles of the European Theatre of World War II and including a few hypothetical 'what if' scenarios based on your actions. Now expanded with a full-war mega-campaign and the Afrika Corps and Allied Corps releases!

Moderator: MOD_PanzerCorps

Rudankort

RE: What to do with them?

Post by Rudankort »

Sorry, I misread your original description. Now I tested it myself, and you are right. Active ground attack ratings on AA units does not work. Put it on my TODO list to correct.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I've been having some strange behavior in game when I try to give AT units a range of 1. For some reason when I do that I can't purchase anything but infantry as a result.

When I make the change to the equipment file and then run the game, when I go to the purchase screen I am only able to purchase new infantry units, all the other unit types are "grayed out". Very weird. I don't see the connection here, maybe it's some sort of hardcode issue? [&:]
Rudankort

Post by Rudankort »

Most likely, the file was corrupted somehow, and the game is able to load only the first portion of it. I suggest to use Microsoft Excel to edit equipment table, then the changes you do in one cell will not affect any other cells, and you should not see problems like this one.
GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

I don't use AA or AT much in the campaign but the other ones mentioned all get significant usage.

Strat Bombers - I'll actualy take these over a Stuka any day. They are far more survivable then the Stuka, don't need to refuel as often and the supression they do against fixed targets is great. They particularly make great bunker busters, as for some of those forts the only effective way to attack is to run them out of ammo and supress. Plus thier utility against naval units can be very valuable. The ability to fill multiple roles in different situations is really important when you have limited slot space (IMO).

Recon - Save your units from ambush, plus the multi-move and good speed allow these guys to exploit holes in the enemy line and get at high value targets like artillery or undefended objectives. I usualy only have one of these in my core, but it definately pays for it's slot.

AA - I really don't feel it's worth taking up a core slot with these. However, the scenerio's where I've been given one as an auxillary unit...they have often come in handy. The ability to fire at enemy aircraft without taking any return fire is usefull. It means you can soften up a tough enemy fighter before engaging with your own fighters and taking as much damage.

AT - I haven't really seen these as particular usefull. Even though I've played mostly offense so far, they haven't seemed particulary usefull for the A.I. on defense either. I wonder what sort of combat bonus they have in dense terrain (cities, forests, etc)? Historicaly that's where these weapons really prooved a threat to armor...where they could setup in ambush position and hit it at close range often from the side.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

I never buy towed AT guns. They are easily killed and don't do a lot of damage, even the 88's.
What I would suggest is make cut the soft attack in 1/2 for all of them, boost the hard attack by 1 or 2 across the board and give them a high initative so they fire first in almost every case. They are suppose to be the counter for armour but they seem to do more damage to infantry than tanks.
soldier1

Post by soldier1 »

Actually they receive a penalty when they attack tanks and recon and are also penalized when infantry attacks them.
xriz

Post by xriz »

I do find self propelled AT units have some use even in the campaign, you don't want a bunch of them just one or two.

They run about 1/2 the cost of a tank with a similar hard attack (but less defense)so when needing a covering unit while bring up towed artillery or infantry on trucks for an attack, I use the SP-AT on the spear head or a flank, its a cheep unit to put in harms way; If its killed, at least it was cheaper then a tank I would have wanted to used instead or if damaged cheaper to fix back up right away.

James Ward

Post by James Ward »

I like the SPAT just not the towed ones. They just don't seem to do well in any area.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: soldier1

Actually they receive a penalty when they attack tanks and recon and are also penalized when infantry attacks them.

I would think they should get a bonus when defending against armor and be even money when attacking armor. They should be penalized against infantry attacking or defending. Just MHO.
xriz

Post by xriz »

ORIGINAL: James Ward

I like the SPAT just not the towed ones. They just don't seem to do well in any area.

True, AT guns can only do good if backed by artillery other wise they are easily killed by infantry. There are only a couple of situations were buying them to cover a flank with out transport makes sense and their are still other alternatives if you have a couple of hundred prestige to spend.
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

I haven't quite had the chance to try mucking around with Strat Bombers here just yet, but in PG they were supremely useful for heavily entrenched units and heavy tanks. Triggering rugged defense doesn't matter if the dug-in infantry unit has been suppressed to a single strength point, while a Sherman can easily brush aside a Tiger under the same B-17 bombardment.
James Ward

Post by James Ward »

ORIGINAL: xriz

ORIGINAL: James Ward

True, AT guns can only do good if backed by artillery other wise they are easily killed by infantry. There are only a couple of situations were buying them to cover a flank with out transport makes sense and their are still other alternatives if you have a couple of hundred prestige to spend.

If I have an extra couple of hundred prestige I'm buying another tank! [:)]

I would like to use the towed AT but they need some help. They should really shine on the defense against armor and they don't.

Return to “Panzer Corps”