Best of the best of the best

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Best of the best of the best

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

Hmmm want to get a thread going, something fresh and new perhaps.....yeah right heheh.

Ok here goes more of the same heheh.

What's yer vote for best all time wargame period end of story computer non computer cardboard or cards anything goes.

Oh and I am politely taking Steel Panthers (and its children) and Squad Leader (and its children) off the list as being to damned obvious.:)

Remember one vote ONE ONE ONE heheh:D

If you want to comment on another ya gotta post a second post, thems the rules.:)

My vote goes for Blitzkrieg. It was all you could want in a wargame, easy to mutate with articles like "Total Kreig.
And you could have just as much fun with it solo as against an opponent.
It was newbie friendly, and yet not idiot simple.
It had all the basics covered, naval landings, paradrops, mountain units, rangers, plus you could incorporate economics and politics.
It was not hindered by historical context, yet easily represented it.

And best of all, it's not some darn DOS dinosaur you can't run any longer on your new shiny mega computer.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
AbsntMndedProf

Post by AbsntMndedProf »

When I was in high school and college, I played Napoleonic miniatures over at MIT. That was a real kick!

Eric Maietta
jnier

Post by jnier »

My all time fave? I vote for Third Reich. Wellington's Victory is a close second.

Jason
AlBW

Post by AlBW »

Panzer General.
Al
rbrunsman

Post by rbrunsman »

Originally posted by AlBW
Panzer General.
I second that motion.
Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom
Sgt.Striker

Post by Sgt.Striker »

i hate to mention them ,but i have been hooked on Talonsoft's great battle series since 1994 i think and Battleground watterloo. I was 10! and i was already a hard core wargamer. Also props to World at War, It lets me try to take my beloved canadian army to victory in another game.
Nemo me Impune Lassit
(no one provokes me with Impunity)

Motto of the Black Watch
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Victory Games (Avalon Hill) "The Civil War." (Not the computer version but the boardgame.) Absolutely the most elegant game design ever. I know everyone has their favorite game, but I'm not kidding, this is the best wargame ever designed.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
scimitar

Post by scimitar »

Les,
It's really difficult to limit on only one! Well, in such a case I vote for Airforce/Dauntless system of play (formerly Battleline, then Avalon Hill boardgame). Nice compromise between level of realism and fun of play. I made a PBM campaign that dured 5 years (with a French friend). It was really exciting to see some pilots growing their capacities (some of them becoming "aces").

I would put "Charge!" (Belgian game - level "introduction to wargaming") in second for sentimental reasons.
Pour une dent toute la gueule!
SwampYankee68

Post by SwampYankee68 »

Combat Mission.

With all the great graphical mods and scenarios made by true fans(including allot of ASL scenario adaptations), it combines the "look and feel of miniatures warggaming with the complexity of a true wargame, with the computer taking care of figuring LOS, "to hits" and all that. And, CM2, CMBB has built upon that.

I was also seriously addicted to Mech Brigade and Colonial Conquest, both by SSI....
"The only way I got to keep them Tigers busy is to let them shoot holes in me!"
msaario

Post by msaario »

War in Russia on Apple II.

--Mikko
Bunker22

Post by Bunker22 »

Axis & Allies board game.

Come on folks, thats a classic !!
VonDodenburg

fav game

Post by VonDodenburg »

Panzer General 2, most definately
jnier

Post by jnier »

Originally posted by Dave Briggs
Victory Games (Avalon Hill) "The Civil War." (Not the computer version but the boardgame.) Absolutely the most elegant game design ever. I know everyone has their favorite game, but I'm not kidding, this is the best wargame ever designed.
I second that. "Civil War" was to the American Civil War what Third Reich was to the European Theater in WWII. And what EIA was to the Napoleonic Wars. All were fanastic strategic games. Nothing beats a good grand strategic game IMHO.

Dave, have you ever played Frank Hunter's American Civil War? It seems to be (at least partially) insipred by the Vistory Games Civil War.
CCB

Post by CCB »

Close Combat V and its mods.
Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt
Bunker22

Post by Bunker22 »

Originally posted by CCB
Close Combat V and its mods.

What mods ?? never heard of them...
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Originally posted by jnier

Dave, have you ever played Frank Hunter's American Civil War? It seems to be (at least partially) insipred by the Vistory Games Civil War.
Have I ever played Frank Hunter's American Civil War? You bet you last Confederate dollar I have. I got that game way back when it was called "The Road From Sumter to Appomattox". I have about three upgrades to it including the lastest one. The only strategic computer Civil War game out there that works. Would like to see something with a little less economic detail and a little more military detail but none the less, a good game. Too bad someone doesn't come up with a state of the art strategic level Civil War game. Although I have heard that they are going to expand and enlarge Frank Hunter's game. Avalon Hill's computer version of Victory Game's Civil War was the most dissapointing computer game I've ever bought. Nothing like the board game. A real disaster. Must have been someone named McClellan involved in that one.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
KG Erwin

Les, you've made a very private page

Post by KG Erwin »

I visited it, and it looks interesting--you don't have a public e-mail address--so be it. Give us some insightful content.
jnier

Post by jnier »

Originally posted by Dave Briggs

Although I have heard that they are going to expand and enlarge Frank Hunter's game.
Yup, you're right Frank does have plans to update it. It going to be called The Road From Sumter to Appomatox IV. In case your intersted here's the link for Frank's company, which also has latest version of ACW available as a free download.

Avalon Hill's computer version of Victory Game's Civil War was the most dissapointing computer game I've ever bought. Nothing like the board game. A real disaster. Must have been someone named McClellan involved in that one.
LOL :)
KG Erwin

I've played ACW, and...

Post by KG Erwin »

...apart from an occasional bug involving game crashes on Corps orders, I recommend this highly. There's a LOT to do in the strategic/economic realm, but if you know your history, then the CSA can eventually prevail. (Hint: set your capital at Montgomery, which was the original site. ) Also, for the CSA, be agressive in cotton run missions. You'll need those supplies. I also found that the CSA MUST defend Nashville from the outset: it's a vital armaments center, so fortify and garrison it. Bring the forces from the Trans-Mississippi east as fast as you can--you'll need them. Note the spare brigades on the coastal areas; redeploy them only when you need to establish new divisions/corps for your field armies. In short, there's a LOT to keep track of, so you must develop a national strategy and adjust your deployments accordingly. Frank Hunter has put a lot of thought into this game, and thanks to him for giving it to us for free.
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Post by Les_the_Sarge_9_1 »

For those wondering, I have a homepage (a very dry read aaaaaall about me for when the forums get reeeeally dull hehe).

But my email address is not splashed around much.

For those interested, I will be shortly likely trying my hand at making some manner of splashy wargamer web site thingy.

By shortly I likely mean a project that could take me a month or more heheh.

I have no plans or capacity for nice splashy sites that require funding of course though. But I might try and make it useful in some manner.

If nothing else, I will design it to be a jump off point in the search for all things wargamerish.
I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Return to “General Discussion”