Overloaded axis armies

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

coolts

Overloaded axis armies

Post by coolts »

Am now on turn 91 of the ’41 GC as Axis vs AI.

After the withdrawal of 11th army in ’42 I had to attach the 3 orphaned corps to other armies taking them over the command threshold, limit. Now, in early ’43 ive started getting a lot of new panzer grenadier divisions after all the Luftwaffe fluff. These are awesome motorized divisions and belong in a panzer army IMO, but I’m not getting any new army groups or corps HQ’s coming through.

What should I do? Remove none motorized units from panzer corps for these guys? This is my current solution although then shunting more infantry divisions into already full corps HQ’s just seems daft. Why the hell cant I create empty corps/army groups like the Russians can?

I could attach them direct to the AG HQ and use that as a kind of Corps HW but that’s also daft IMO.

What do you guys do?

Attachments
more.jpg
more.jpg (27.13 KiB) Viewed 222 times
"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix
misesfan

RE: Overloaded axis armies

Post by misesfan »

I believe the I SS Panzer Corps will arrive the turn after your current one. I have found that the formations arrive first followed by the HQ a turn or two after.
coolts

Post by coolts »

But the panzer armies are already bulging. I take it that i just have to keep shovelling units in and take the hit inthe long term with regards to leader rolls, etc
"Gauls! We have nothing to fear; except perhaps that the sky may fall on our heads tomorrow. But as we all know, tomorrow never comes!!" - Chief Vitalstatistix
herwin

Post by herwin »

The default organisation of a Panzerkorps was two Panzerdivisionen, a motorised/PG Division, a couple of motorised artillery Abteilungen, a regiment of Pioniere, and various support troops. It operated as six to nine regimental-level Kampfgruppe.
Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com
misesfan

Post by misesfan »

Have you removed the infantry divisions from the Panzer Armies? Using some convenient shuffling I don't think I have overloaded Panzer Army HQ except the 2nd early in the war and perhaps 4th on the drive to Leningrad.

The Army Group situation should become better as you lose Army Group South but gain Army Groups A and B.
coolts

Post by coolts »

ORIGINAL: pwieland

Have you removed the infantry divisions from the Panzer Armies? Using some convenient shuffling I don't think I have overloaded Panzer Army HQ except the 2nd early in the war and perhaps 4th on the drive to Leningrad.

The Army Group situation should become better as you lose Army Group South but gain Army Groups A and B.

I am beginning that process, and dependant on how many panzer grenadier divisions I get, I may follow herwins guidelines for incorporating them individually, into panzer corps. This will necessitate me slightly overloading a lot or army corps (10 points rather than the max 8), In order to incorporate the ousted infantry divisions. It’s the effects of that overloading on their combat effectiveness that is worrying me.

(I already have the AG-A & B split as I prioritized Rostov in the '42 summer offensive)
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

4/43, your command capacity will increase for corps to allow 10 points of units in (9 now). Army will go to 30 each while Army groups will jump to 120.

It sort of depends on who you have doing what. I tend to put security forces directly under their respective high commands (German = OKH, Rumania = Rumanian High Command or Army Groups Ant, etc). Rumanian troops generally serve under their own corps HQ's; the Germans simply don't have the space.

I would clean out your panzer formations of non-panzer troops if you can and put them under infantry corps command. If you have some units digging (Luftwaffe) then I would not worry too much about overloading as they won't be in the front fighting.
coolts

Post by coolts »

That’s good news about the logistical capacity expansion. Is that in the manual BTW? I must have missed it if it was.
I will have a good clear-out tomorrow. No none motorised divisions in Panzer armies and all SEC & LW forces under OKH, where in none combat areas.
lastdingo

Post by lastdingo »

It would also be possible to send depleted divisions back to OKH and let the refit somewhere safe.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

It is in the manual under HQs. 
coolts

Post by coolts »

Cheers. Well, I've been scrupulously keeping my Corps CP's inline but my army groups are way over, (not so bad now i have split AGS).
I recall some discussion on the forums on wether it mattered more for Corps/Army/AG and the conclusion seemed to be that it seemed to matter more for lower level units as the army groups start the game way over. I guess you would need access to the actual leadership roll data to know for sure.

hmmmm.
Arstavidios

Post by Arstavidios »

you can use the rumanian and hungarian HQs to stuff some infantry divisions.
panzer Armies should do with 3 panzer korps with 2 panzer and a motorized division, with a few spare divisions left.

You have 7 german infantry armies, 2 rumanian, 1 hungarian and 4 german panzer armies;
this should be enough to accomodate everyhing with possibly a few extra divisions.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”