Reactor and energy

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

daemon1129

Reactor and energy

Post by daemon1129 »

How do I know how much energy my ship needs to operate?
Data

RE: Reactor and energy

Post by Data »

In the design screen you have the right section for energy (static consumption, output, collectors etc).
To the static energy output you add the weapons usage per second to get the max energy needed during even combat.
You also need to check the energy consumed by all the engine types, this section is below the energy section.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Data

Post by Data »

Check SoM classic thread here

tm.asp?m=2411040

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
Tigan

Post by Tigan »

Ok, i read all the ship design related topics by now (at least the ones i found). But I still don´t understand how the energy usage of my engines works....
Just to get it (and use the AAR link)
* Energy Collection: feeds my Static Energy Consumption. Lets say, I have a collection rate of 24 and a static use of 17, so i get back 7 energy.
* Static energy consumption: the amount of energy my ship needs to operate without doing anything
*Excess energy output: the remaining amount of energy i can spend on eg. weapons or other stuff

Back to AAR

SoM has a excess energy output of 67
*Impulse uses 3 energy
*Cruise uses 13 energy
*Sprint uses 39 energy

So, i dont get what number is important? How much energy do the engines need? How much energy can I spend on weapons without letting my ship float dead through space? [&:]

I guess the answer is so obviously that i just cannot see it [:D]

Si vis pacem para bellum.
If you want peace, prepare for war.
randal7

Post by randal7 »

Excess energy is total reactor power minus static energy needs. Engines/weapons/shield recharge come from excess energy.

There should be a number in the engine box on the design screen above energy needed that shows how fast each speed is something like 5 for impulse, 18 for cruise, 30 for sprint). Higher speeds use more energy. At sprint (aka full/combat) speed, this ship only has 28 energy/sec left over for weapons (excess of 67 energy - 39 energy for full speed) . Unless this is a small ship, you won't have enough energy to fire all weapons in combat.
Data

Post by Data »

Further more on randal's excellent explanation: cruise is the normal / usual speed of the ship, impluse is used when the engines are damaged and sprint is used in combat / running / escaping etc. Also, in speed inhibitor fields the ship will still use cruise but it will be halved.
Tigan

Post by Tigan »

Ok, that explains why my ships always could only move or fire. Only consider the difference between excess energy and sprint usage and you know what amount of energy is left for the rest of my ship systems

I feared it is that simple. Thanks for the help [:)]
Data

Post by Data »

We also requested a more visible count of the needed energy for all systems so that we see this more clearly. It is simple once you get the hang of it but it can be made more visible on the design screen as well.
Still, I personally think the design screen is one of the best in 4x games....that was the first thing that got me into DW in the first place.
Tigan

Post by Tigan »

The only thing i can say is, it works great! Though some more information about energy consumption like shields should be visible, too.

The DW ship design is defenitly the most complex one i´ve seen so far. Especially the resource needs can be quite tricky at start, when you only have a handful of ore mining and gas mining station. This game is what Master of Orion 3 should have been. Finally my ship designs seem to work pretty well. It´s always fun to see my fast and agile frigs fire wave after wave of rockets onto my enemy without getting any damage themselves and let my bigger ships go in and finish the job. [8D]
Data

Post by Data »

This game is what Master of Orion 3 should have been

have heard this many times and being a moo2 die hard I always support it. Never played MOO3 and perhaps it's not that bad but it certainly let down a lot of fans.
Seath

Post by Seath »

data believe me it is so bad... MMO3 is only boring and they just messed up everything. If you want to do your self a favor than never buy it and just think back to mmo2 and how good this game was/is.

But i hears that a firm wants to buy the right of master of orion and they want to produce a MMO4. And they say that they will do it like MMO2 just with new grafic and some improvements but nothing to big to ruin the game like in MMo3.
Viva los tioz! Helden Leben lang, Legenden sterben nie! Böhse Onkelz
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Seath

data believe me it is so bad... MMO3 is only boring and they just messed up everything. If you want to do your self a favor than never buy it and just think back to mmo2 and how good this game was/is.
IMO....MOO3 was the WORST waste of my hard-earned bars of gold-pressed latinum I ever spent! [:@]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Tigan

Post by Tigan »

A long long time ago, when MOO3 was still in alpha and beta, I was absolutly amazed by what the dev team wanted to implement. Philosophy/Religion, economic systems and dozens of other factors, which should have an important impact on gameplay in the long run. Then I bought the game.....

After 5 Minutes I was wondering: "Did I just buy MOO3? Where are these options? What mess is this?"

It was truly just a waste of money and my sparse free time......Anyone wanna buy my game copy? [:D]
Data

Post by Data »

But i hears that a firm wants to buy the right of master of orion and they want to produce a MMO4. And they say that they will do it like MMO2 just with new grafic and some improvements but nothing to big to ruin the game like in MMo3.

I really hope you hears to right thing, that would be AWESOME
Harmonious Hegemony

Post by Harmonious Hegemony »

M**3 is a word that should never pass a serious gamer's lips. There has been a project in the works for years (literally) called Free Orion. It's being done by a group in their spare time (hence the slow progress). It looks like it has promise, but you never know. Here's the link if you're interested:

http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Main_Page
Data

Post by Data »

I knew about that but afaik it's abandoned now
Harmonious Hegemony

Post by Harmonious Hegemony »

Their progress, or lack thereof, seems to support that. Their web page is still up though.
Data

Post by Data »

And so are our hopes [:)]

Return to “The War Room”